Options

Air Conditioning - AC (current/plug) Problem

2»

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, Maybe / plug in wrong position/place? Would that work? :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,501
    It's about two feet short, is there a reason I can't just add two feet of Romex (wire nuts or soldering)?
    Photomom said:
    Does she need to connect the new Romex to the converter or could connect a new piece to the end of the existing piece? Perhaps inside a junction box to replace that existing outlet? I'm not an electrician but I know the outlets in my house don't all run directly to the breaker panel.
    If you want to do this according to code, all Romex connections must be made with proper sized wire nuts inside an accessible approved junction box. Given the short length, I'd be inclined to run the new cable right back to the breaker panel.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
     Okay, so it's a AC A/C problem. I get it now. :)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    ScottG, Good advice, was my thoughts as well.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    I have purchased 15ft of the same kind of Romex that's in there now, will wire it up tomorrow and report status. I can't even express how much I appreciate this assistance and encouragement.  =)
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861

I think your recommendation is the best long term solution - how hard will it be to remove the back panel of the WFCO 8735 and disconnect the old Romex and reconnect the new longer Romex?
    I wouldn't mess with opening up the WEFCO converter, but would drop a new/longer piece of romex down into the bench area (enough to run to a new receptacle on the side of the A/C storage area) via the shower sidewall, install a small splice box (could also use it for future power runs, etc.) in the bench, screw it to a stud and install it permanently, cut off the former dedicated feed up to the A/C unit, stick it in the splice box in the bench area and splice the new romex to it.  Then install a small RV receptacle up top as shown in the photo below, re-install the air conditioning unit and be done with it.  

Oh, and don't forget to clean out your A/C filter and some of that grit shown in the photos above!   =)

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike I promise to clean the grit, dust, and the drip pan too :-)

I've successfully rewired the new longer Romex into the WFCO and to a new regular household AC plug. Tested and it runs! Going to do a few more AC related mods as suggested.
    Thanks to everyone, now my AC plug and outlet look like everyone else's :-)
    Jill

1.jpg 25.5K
    2.jpg 19.1K
    3.jpg 16.5K
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Sweet deal!  Glad things worked out Jill, congratulations!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Well done!! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Looks nice! Really glad you got it sorted out! Mod on! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    The positive reinforcement is wonderful - makes mods more fun when you have folks that give you praise =)
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    As it should be!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Just in case anyone else has the same AC electrical issues (early 2013 model) I had to make a few more changes to make it like the majority after I resolved the electrical wiring.

The AC had very restrictive baffles on it, and when I measured the AC vs the box, the AC was 13", which was longer than the box! This means I didn't even need baffles. I took them off and simply pushed the AC all the way flush to the rear wall.

However this now meant that the two screws that came up through the bottom no longer had their holes in the AC in alignment. Since the AC now flush to the rear was a good thing (no baffles needed and also put the AC cord fully inside the box versus taking a sharp bend), I added a piece of wood in front of the AC, and screwed into that. This AC position is way better than before, when it hung out past the wood frame at least two inches.

And taking advice, I added a bit of insulation for the large gaps.

Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,588
    Jill - you are incredibly handy!  Look at you - you are a one woman RV shop!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Very nicely done, Jill! I think the original installer (?) was dealing with more than just "beer goggles"!!

(Reminds me of some of the "flying disconnects" I used to run into when I was in HVAC:  no disconnect switch near the A/C; you had to loosen a wire nut on the 230V line, then take a flying swipe at it to separate the wires and kill the power. Yeah, kidding.   Sort of.)
  • Options
    Seattle, WA