Options

Installing 2 Battleborns, question about external solar panel hookup...

2022 320 S Boondock. I am having two 100 heated Battleborns installed inside with the battery cutoff also moved inside. My camper did not have the solar plug installed in the center box and they are putting that in also. So question is if I get some extra solar panels to hook up do I need another inverter or other device to use the extra solar panels?
2022 T@B 320 S Boondock  "UGA", Jeep Gladiator Overland
North Georgia

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    You will need a second controller to pair with your new portable panels.  If you use a Victron MPPT controller, you can network with your current system using the VictronConnect app.  

An inverter allows you to use the 12V battery with a 120V wired appliance.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    CCCCCC Member Posts: 116
    You will need a second controller to pair with your new portable panels.  If you use a Victron MPPT controller, you can network with your current system using the VictronConnect app.  

An inverter allows you to use the 12V battery with a 120V wired appliance.
    I have the Victron Connect App. Are you saying that I need a second controller or that I can use the Victron in leu of a second controller?
    2022 T@B 320 S Boondock  "UGA", Jeep Gladiator Overland
    North Georgia
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I believe the installed controller will only handle a 15 Amp current.  You need a second Victron controller.  You can use a different brand controller, but you won’t be able to include it in the VictronConnect network.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Adding a second Victron 75/10 controller is easy, install it between the battery connection and the SAE plug connection.  Then you can network the two Victron controllers together to maximize your charging potential.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Dutch061Dutch061 Member Posts: 765
    edited August 2022
    Based on my observations with a 2020 400 BDL, you will not need to have heated batteries. I installed the optional temperature sensor with my BMV-712 to keep track. If you are using your camper, it will never get cold enough to be an issue. Battleborn can be charged to 25 degrees and have a very intelligent BMS that will disable charging below that.

I have 4 100 Ah BB's under the bed.

Brad
    2020 400 BDL aka "Boonie"
    2022 Black Series HQ19 aka "Cricket"
    2021 F-250 Tremor with PSD aka "Big Blue"
    Concord, NC