Options

Help with Alde

Nelson2020Nelson2020 Member Posts: 2
We are relatively new owners of a 2018 T@B400 and need to attend to a glycol change in the unit's ALDE. Any help would be appreciated from online videos to knowledgeable local assistance - We are in Seattle WA

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,720
    Welcome to the Forums!  If you could confirm the model year of your 400, that would be great.  (Looks like 2008 might be a typo!).
    There are many tons of Alde Glycol exchange discussions, and there is one nice Do It Yourself File that has the complete procedure.
    This link takes you to the DIY Glycol exchange .pdf link.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Nelson2020Nelson2020 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks - year updated to 2018 
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 475
    Most of the DYI instructions do not specify if you will want to continue with the Century fluid, which is likely what is in your trailer, or make a complete change to the Rhomar fluid, which is a pale blue/green color. The issue is the flushing needed to make the change as the fluids are incompatible. When I changed my 2019 last year the Rhomar recommendation was still new and it was hard to find. My procedure was here in this thread  as one of several including @ScottG who did most of the leading of the way. I kept the Century fluid and then followed up with the recommended grounding procedure which helps prevent corrosion I am told.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/2665/changing-out-the-alde-fluid/p17

This is a very long thread and my instance did involve an extensive flush, including distilled water, as I could see how long it took for the system to clear of the yellow color.

One question you will have depends on your access to the reservoir. If you have a closet it should be there, if you have the larger frig I am not sure but should not be hard to find. Mine was easy to access the hoses to attach the pump and do the flush and refill. Once you get over your fear of messing with the system it is actually pretty simple and does not take that long and in my case worked like a charm. My system is now a year on and works flawlessly. I will consider the Rhomar next year as we all learn more..

Good luck and I am sure others will have some good ideas too, including dealers that can do a good job near you (I don't have any around here).

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    edited August 2022
    You really should consider having the Alde fluid changed to the new Rhomar fluid, which offers better protection to the Alde components than the greenish color Century TF (which is what is on your 2018 TaB400, if it is the original fluid).  There was an Alde service center in Seattle area, not sure if it is still there, a Airstream dealer (which can do the fluid change) and nüCamp has a dealer in the area, Apache RV, with several locations, including Everett and Tacoma.  

Trying to do the fluid change and flush out required for changing to the Rhomar fluid, which involves flushing out the Alde system, is an involved procedure without the special pump that has been developed to do this.  Most nüCamp dealers have the pump and can do the service.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 627
    edited August 2022
    @Nelson2020, If you have a 400 with the smaller fridge and a wardrobe closet, you don't need a special pump to change the fluid.  You only need a two gallon shop vac. 

From the outside, drain the Alde by removing the red plug from the bottom of the trailer below the Alde compartment.   You'll get about a gallon out.

Fully expose the Alde reservoir and hoses running to it by removing the wood panel that covers the corner of the wardrobe closet. 

Detach the hoses from the Alde reservoir.  One will be full of fluid, so capture that fluid in a bucket.  I can't remember which hose, but use duct tape to connect the rubber hose to a shop vac hose.  Turn on the shop vac and pull the remaining fluid out of the system.  Repeat on the other hose.  You'll get about two gallons out.

Now the system is fully purged of fluid.  As mentioned above, I would switch to the new Rhomar Water fluid.  This necessitates flushing the system twice with distilled water first.  This involves filling the system and bleeding it with water twice.  There is a bleed valve in the bathroom at the top of the covered heater below the shower faucets.  Remove the cover and you'll see the bleed valve.

When filling, you need to turn on the Alde briefly multiple times after you've filled the reservoir with water or fluid before it pulls it all from the reservoir.  It helps to have a helper monitor the reservoir level while you control the Alde.  Repeat until the reservoir level remains unchanged after turning on the Alde.  Then run it and open the bleed valve to purge air from the system.  

This method has worked well for me.  Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.  I'm in Bellingham.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA