Enhanced Security Measures After Former T@B Theft

andysunnyandysunny Member Posts: 1
edited September 2022 in Tips & Tricks
In May, our T@B 320 was stolen off our driveway at 4:30 AM. We were awaked by the noise of it being scraped away but didn't get a visual. We called the police immediately. We had a coupler pin lock on that the thief couldn't break, but hauled it off by the chains, and with the tongue jack down (see how it bent to 90 degrees in the picture). Within several minutes the thief flipped it about a mile away and it was totaled. Thief escaped. It was only 10 mos old, and had been used only a few times.

We got an insurance settlement and just purchased a 2023. We're hoping to minimize the chances of this happening again, so we were motivated to increase our security. Here's what we've implemented:
-We installed 3 motion detecting Ring cameras on our property. Any motion where we park the camper immediately alerts us by app and is captured on video
-We already owned one wheel lock. It was not on at the time of the theft. It's not fabulous quality, but it is a visual deterrent. Now we'll use it every time. Also, we'll put the four stabilizers down every time we park it (stablilizers were not down at the time of the theft)

-I originally ordered a Kryptonite Keeper model 785 for the other wheel after reading a couple of posts on this forum of people winding it through the wheel and attaching it under the camper. When we picked up our new T@B, we saw that the entire bottom of the unit is covered, which is great to keep out moisture and critters, but there was nothing to easily attach the chain to. We returned this item
-We bought a 6 foot chain with hardened square-shaped links that are hard to cut and a padlock that is also hard to defeat. We lock this to an Artago ground anchor which is attached to a burried block of cement
-We bought a Proven hitch lock, model 2178A, which also secures the tow chains
-I did some research on whether to get a GPS tracker or not. As I thought about it, a GPS tracker would potentially be of value if you assume that the thief will attempt to preserve the camper during theft and that it will be in good enough shape that you will want it back when reclaimed. Neither of these assumptions were true in our case, as our T@B was completely destroyed within minutes of the theft. Given this, paying for a monthly subscription for GPS (especially when we already pay for secured indoor winter storage) didn't seem like a great value. Instead, we opted for a good, replacement value insurance policy.

While every security method can be overcome, we hope this combination of methods will not only serve as visual deterrents, but also slow down a determined thief long enough that the motion cameras will alert us and we can call the police.

We're looking forward to getting back to camping!

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    I remember seeing this photo over on the FB page.  Just..awful.  Thanks for sharing your ideas, and glad to see you back up and running!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    It is incredibly sad that we have to go to such measures.  Still sickened by the original story of the theft.  We put so much time, energy, and care into getting our trailers "just right" and to have it ripped away and destroyed is just sickening.  Glad you were able to get a new trailer and are moving on from this horrible experience.  I am reconsidering if I need to up my security game after your experience.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    My worst nightmare..so sorry that it happened to you. We live at a dead end but we have a wheel lock, stabilizers down, Proven Industries Lock and the coupler lock..I still worry..hope you have a great time camping..and we lock up at the campground too ...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    edited August 2022
    That sucks. You're right though, good insurance is a must. Hitch lock and I lock the chains so a thief can't use them. GPS tracking comes in handy when it's left at campsites. I get a text and email if it's been sitting and suddenly moves and I can track it's location on a map. At home it sits in a secure garage with motion detection cameras. If I open it's garage door I get a text.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 410
    edited August 2022
    I'm sorry you had to endure the pain and heartbreak from the theft of your Tab.  We do most of the same things (tongue lock, wheel lock, Ring camera, stabilizers down, locked chains), but no GPS tracker.  We lock the chains tightly together with a padlock.  One day we may bury a concrete block formed with a bucket and an eye-bolt at its center for securing the chains or trailer's A-frame.  Ultimately all we can do is make it difficult and time-consuming for anyone trying to take our beloved Tab.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • gyamanegyamane Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the reminder-I locked my chains today.
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    I installed a tilt switch and very loud alarm. As soon as the tong is moved just a little a very loud noise happens and stays on all the time it is being towed. I leave it parked with the jack all the way down so any attempt to raise it even a smidgen makes the alarm go off. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 128
    I purchase a Xena concrete anchor with a Vulcan chain attaching it to the trailer. I also have a Baylock for the hitch. Additionally, I have a ring camera above the trailer that will alert me to any intruders in the driveway. It should slow down, if not outright discourage someone from trying to steal our 400.
    Amazon.com: Xena Ground Anchor Stainless Steel : Automotive
    Amazon.com: VULCAN Security Chain - Premium Case-Hardened - 5/16 Inch x 6 Foot (+/- 1.5 Inches) - Chain Cannot Be Cut with Bolt Cutters or Hand Tools : Electronics

2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6
  • kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    I like the trailer chained to the driveway, with that heavy chain and lock.  As the original poster tells us, a hitch lock is kind of a waste of money.  The tilt alarm ought to make them think twice, going out the driveway and down the road with an alarm blaring.

Just thinking, would it be possible to install some device that senses motion and locks up the electric trailer brakes, similar to the emergency brake cable.  Maybe activating the emergency brake cable.  It would be a tough tow with the brakes locked up.

Doug

Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    kottum said:
    Maybe activating the emergency brake cable.  It would be a tough tow with the brakes locked up.

hmmmm ... would pulling the emergency brake pin be an option?
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• subkronsubkron Member Posts: 143
    edited August 2022
    @kottumsaid:
    As the original poster tells us, a hitch lock is kind of a waste of money.  
    Just clarifying, the OP only had a coupler pin lock, not a hitch lock.  Hitch locks offer quite a bit more protection than coupler pin locks, they too can be defeated (really like all methods). But a layered method with many obstacles will slow them down or discourage them from trying.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    South Jersey
  • marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 129
    And thanks to this post, I purchased a padlock for my chains today to add to my defense arsenal.
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    Another option for securing chains:  I sawed off a single link from the end of my chains and used it to secure a shackle (which cannot be removed)
    The chains then attach to the shackle and can be easily removed for security
    This has the added advantage that you can shorten the chains to be an ideal length and hook the excess back to the shackle.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Nice mod on the chain using a shackle.  Still a thief could bring their own chains and still tow off the trailer.  But this does make it a a bit more inconvenient.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @rh5555, are those removable quick-links rated for safety chains?
    I think there's a DOT rating that you can look for.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    @ChanW, no DOT rating of course, just advertising on Amazon, FWIW, that says "STARVAST quick links for safety chain, hooking trailer...".  They are substantially beefier than the actual safety chain (10mm vs 6mm), so I'm comfortable with them.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    We use a FortKnox hitch lock.  It's a challenge but you can fit the ends of the safety chains inside the lock as well.  The lock is expensive but now way are they cutting it off.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • SolidCamperSolidCamper Member Posts: 20

I love this thread with all these ideas- but so painful to see that photo of how they up-ended your new TAB.  Sickening ! 

I have my own arsenal of anti theft devices but have learned from you all about things that I never thought of- such as locking the chains.

I was considering buying a battery powered 4G camera and mounting it on the trailer exterior. The idea is that I could leave the trailer somewhere and be notified of movement noise etc.   Has anyone done this ? Which brand did you use ?  Thanks. 
    MarvinD- Newton, MA, USA  2020 T@B 320S Boondock Lite/ TV: 2013 Chevy Avalanche 
  • krsmeskrsmes Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2023
    @SolidCamper If you give your trailer Wi-Fi through something like a Mofi or similar router (which takes a SIM card from cell provider of your choice), you can use about any battery powered doorbell Wi-Fi camera. This is the route I went (not this one but similar https://a.co/d/3DJivdn )

Having this setup lets you have a way to track more easily too… such as taking an old iPhone and putting/hiding it in the trailer (Wi-Fi and gps work even without a SIM card) and then using Apple device tracking. 
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    I was considering buying a battery powered 4G camera and mounting it on the trailer exterior. The idea is that I could leave the trailer somewhere and be notified of movement noise etc.   Has anyone done this ? Which brand did you use ?  Thanks. 
    I have a GPS tracker. Anytime it moves after sitting for five minutes I get a text. I can get a satellite map on my phone or on my tow vehicle's display showing the current location and I can follow it or even track it's previous movement history. Most of the GPS equipment trackers work this way.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497

I love this thread with all these ideas- but so painful to see that photo of how they up-ended your new TAB.  Sickening ! 

I have my own arsenal of anti theft devices but have learned from you all about things that I never thought of- such as locking the chains.

I've considered a trail cam just so I can watch the critters romping around the T@B parked on my friend's back 40, but I think that if you want to be notified if the trailer moves, a GPS tracker is a better option. I've had a Spot Trace for about four years and as @SLJ mentioned, it notifies me whenever the trailer moves. A cellular-based tracker is cheaper, but won't help you if the T@B is out of cell range. I initially got it so my family can track me down if I go missing.

My only gripe with SPOT is that the annual subscription fee jumps from about $150 in the first year to $225 in later years.

If anyone decides to buy a SPOT and you want to get $30 off the annual service, You can fill out the refer-a-friend form with my info and we both get the $30. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • krsmeskrsmes Member Posts: 83
    For anyone more technically oriented there is a tracking option with no monthly/annual fees.   Particle.io sells a developer evaluation tracker board https://store.particle.io/collections/all-products/products/tracker-som-evaluation-kit-with-ethersim which includes a SIM card, free monthly data allocation, and access to their full asset tracking suite of online tools.  You can do some interesting things with it depending how much you want to get into the hardware and software aspects of it.