Winter Blow Out with Nautilus

The Nautilus manual shows placing all levers in the diagonal position for blowing out the plumbing lines.  It also states that "This will ensure any trapped water in plumbing harness is removed". 
I am assuming the "plumbing harness" refers to only those lines behind the Nautilus.  If so, that would explain why I had no air pressure at the faucets.  If that is the case, blowing out with the Nautilus in the diagonal position does not clear the trailer's plumbing lines - only the "plumbing harness".

Following up with anti-freeze did push out all remaining water.

It appears that following the Nautilus manual procedure for blow out is not adequate without also pumping anti-freeze through the system.
2021 T@b 400 Boondock
       Oneonta, NY

Comments

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited September 2022
    Putting the control levers to a diagonal, blows out the valves, which you do after blowing out the remaining water after draining, with the controls set to Dry Camping to blow out the water lines.  You blow out the lines one at a time by opening each faucet one at a time for both cold and hot water positions.  Don’t forget the outside shower port, connect the shower hose and blow it out also.  Then you can set the controls at the diagonal position to finish up, blowing out any remain water from the valves.

Adding RV antifreeze is an option, and may or may not be needed, based on your location and how cold it gets.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    Good to know - The Nautilus Manual skips that step and only shows blowing out the valves.  Thanks.  There really should be one definitive manual.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
    Yes, nüCamp should have made a supplement to the Nautilus manual, showing how they configured it for the TaB.
     Cheers 
    The only reason I could think of blowing out the lines prior to pumping anti-freeze would be to prevent any remaining water from diluting the antifreeze.  If you use enough anti-freeze, I would think that 40 psi of liquid should be just as effective as 40 psi of air.  The previous owner did not blow out the lines last year and just pumped in antifreeze.  We had nights of -20F without a problem.  
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
    edited September 2022
    Putting antifreeze in the water lines displaces most of the water, and gives you the protection from freezing.
    Cheers 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @Gherzig - please check out Winterizing 104 in this link: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6372/winterizing-manuals#latest

I created the instructions for the 320, but much of it applies to the 400.  Nautilus only ever intended for users to use antifreeze in the plumbing lines, so they direct owners to blow out the Nautilus harness (manifold) then proceed to use antifreeze.  The instructions have detail to fully blow out the plumbing lines.

I agree that the Nautilus manual gives limited direction. Certainly not all that specific to our TaBs.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @Sharon_is_SAM Thank you.
    @Denny16 -  The NuCamp 2021 T@b 400 manual refers you to the Nautilus site for winterization instruction BUT states that "Since there is a risk involved with this (blowout) method if the system is not blown out thoroughly, nuCamp recommends the RV antifreeze winterizing method as a safer option".

Based on NuCamp's statement, it would seem that the only reason for a compressed air blow out would be an aversion to using anti-freeze - or not having access.

2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
    edited September 2022
    I do not have the Nautilus, so I sue the drain and blow out method, which works for me where I live in NorCal.  If I had the Nautilus system, I would follow the Nautilus recommended procedur, especially if I lived in an area with freezing winter temps…

That said, many Nautilus owners use the blow out method over using antifreeze, and some do both, which seems redundant to me.  If you can successfully remove all the trapped water, there isn’t anything left that can cause damage.  Following the Nautilus recommendation of blowing out the valves (if using the wake pressure blow out method) should be followed to get any water trapped in the Nautilus valves cleared out.
     Cheers 
    Agree.  I see no reason to do both.  Even in my very cold climate.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • creinocreino Member Posts: 1
    I did not get a nautilus system manual with my 400 BD.  How do I get one?
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Check out the “Category” section on the left side of the screen.  Select Owners Manuals at the bottom, then Plumbing Resources.
    Scroll to bottom of thread.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7856/plumbing-resources#latest
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio