Options

Red capped tubes under 2022 Tab 400

Hi, 

Does anyone know what these red capped tubes are for? They appear to be positioned directly under the ALDE unit at back driver side of the trailer. Are they a drain for winterizing? If so, does anyone know how you open them?

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    They are the Alde glycol drains.  They have pressure fittings holding them on.  (Those black metal bands).  The only time these red caps should be removed is if you are draining the Alde glycol.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MackMack Member Posts: 29
    pthomas745 thanks so much! So not something you would drain for winterizing then I take it. Just if it needs to be changed?
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @Mack correct. This Alde Rhomar glycol has a reservoir in the driver side window cubby. The glycol circulates through the Alde and heats up, then circulates through the big black rubber tubes to the convectors to heat the trailer. The hot water tank is also within the Alde and heats the water. Your glycol is a light blue/green color. These plugs are only pulled when you want to drain the glycol for replacement.

The antifreeze you use for winterizing is pink and is run through the hot/cold pipes and faucets and into black/gray tanks.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    @Mack - the Alde glycol should be changed every 2 years to maintain the best anti corrosion effect.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dsfdogs and Sharon_is_SAM thank you both. I almost pulled those thinking it was for draining the water from the trailer... Lots to learn so great to have people share their knowledge.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    edited September 2022
    The TaB400 has both low point drains for hot snd cold water lines (not the red Alde glycol drains) that are labeled as such just under the Nautilus panel under the trailer. 

The Alde hot water tanks have additional drain valves to get the hot water tanks fully drained, they are the yellow flapper valves in the Alde compartment.  You should only need to use these additional drains when prepping the TaB for Winter.  The Alde hot water tanks need to be completely drained as much as possible, as they do not get filled with RV antifreeze (the pink stuff).  

See your owner’s manual and both thenA
    de manual and Nautilus manual.  Also see: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11969/tab-400-boondock-2021-winterizing#latest
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thanks Denny16. That makes it nice and clear!
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    Does anybody know why the 2022 has two Alde glycol drains?  My 2019 only has one.  Is it a Nautilus thing?
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Horigan said:
    Does anybody know why the 2022 has two Alde glycol drains?  My 2019 only has one.  Is it a Nautilus thing?
    The newer version of Alde's proprietary service pump is a "bottom fill" design. I think the two "drains" allow for flushing of the system by pumping into one while draining out of the other.
    This has no relationship to the Nautilus, which is not connected to the Alde glycol loop in any way.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The two connections are for the. We Alde service pump used by dealers to change the Alde fluid.  From what I understand, the old fluid is pumped out one fitting and new fluid is pumped into the other one, to reduce air getting into the lines.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 268
    Mack said:
    dsfdogs and Sharon_is_SAM thank you both. I almost pulled those thinking it was for draining the water from the trailer... Lots to learn so great to have people share their knowledge.

I did pull the one on my 2021 400 thinking it was a water drain. The sticky glycol taught me otherwise in an instant. Red means stop!
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX