Options

Forum Needs a == General Off-Topic Section = = Non Tab Next Trailer Day Dreaming

Okay . . . I really enjoy my 320S (black tank version) but like everything in our consumer world it is not ideal for me.
Past rambling posts on possible next RV purchases considered Class-C coaches - - - and several forum members provided helpful comments on the real-world downside of Class-C rigs.

Recently I've been taken-in by the Cargo Trailer Conversion to RV - - DIY - - approach to recreational trailer travel.
While those conversions focus on 'lower cost', that is not my attraction.  Getting an "ideal" floorplan and features is what is interesting.

Basically, I would like a 320S with MORE overall space and larger holding tanks.
A 400 does not do that, as it is a different Floorplan.

So far my searches of other brands has not found anything nearly as comfortable/functional as the 320S.
And we all know few of those other brands do not have the quality of materials/construction of a TaB . . . .

So that has me dreaming of a Cargo Trailer Conversion to a 320S Floorplan with extra space primarily the extra interior space would be in the wet-bath . . . . a few more inches of elbow room, a longer wheel-2-wheel bed, and in larger holding tanks,

A 7-foot wide by 12 or 14 foot cargo trailer could be the solution.  (actually a 6.5 foot wide would be better but they are rare)
The 7-feet provides a few extra inches in width while the increased LOA could provide useful Storage Areas for anything from 'camping stuff' to eBiles . . . . .
Plus a Cargo Trailer Has 6+ Feet Headroom everywhere :)
'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments

• Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    What you describe is the 400 but the lounge-ability isn't quite like the 320. Having just picked up my 2023 400 today, the changes for this year are fabulous! The dinette changes make a huge difference and with some pillows, I think I can lounge! 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I like the idea of a storage locker, so I would go for the 14 foot, but now you are approaching the length of the 400.  You can have a small, hinged, clamshell to access storage.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 181
    edited September 2022
    We LOVED our 320s , but in the end it was just a little too tight for us once we got our golden retriever . We still miss it, and its almost impossible to find that NuCamp quality in any other mass produced "camper" . 
    We were forced to upsize , but NuCamp did not have the next "up" size up for us ..... The 400 was not what we wanted, as we hated the claustrophobic rear sleeping arrangement . Wish they would come out with a 450 or 500 ! Avia was much too big for us. 
    We finally settled (after 4 RV's in 4 years!) on a Jayco Jayfeather Micro 166 FBS . Love it ! Weighs in at just under 4000lbs empty and under 20' long . Its a great "small" camper thats easy to tow , and has everything we need and quite roomy . Azdel inside and out . Pretty good quality for a mass produced RV . Kind of an overlander / boondock styling . 

We also are on the home stretch of a custom van camper build for our long distance trips (coast to coast) . We loved our 320s so much, we designed our van build out of the same design. Kind of a 320s /320cs hybrid , that you can drive, lol .  Not quite finished yet , still have to build the a porta potty / storage cabinet that will sit behind the drivers seat. Should be done by the end of the year ....

2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 418
    Glad you found your Cinderella-sized trailer!  Looks like a good layout but is the bed still a side-side sleeper?  Camper Van build looks like a fun project.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 73
    I have to admit that I have a secret crush on the Intech Sol Horizon.  It seems to have everything I love about my Tab 400 but with a bit more space and bigger windows.  If they ever made the exterior more interesting I might be tempted.
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    We love the compact size of the 320S (site utility) and with the easy to set up split twins we can easily get up without crawling over the other or overly disturbing them. BUT one is an early riser and the other sleeps late, in the summer not bad as that person gets up and reads or explores outside. In the fall / winter this isn't very desirable due to weather and light. We'd be willing to go to the longer length of the 400 but its bed stops us. I think we'd be good with the similar dining/bed area of the 320 but somehow with fold down food prep / fridge in a single seating area (not convertible to a bed). Sink and loss of the front storage is a problem. I have no good thoughts except use the 400 as a base. The layout would be significantly altered to do the above. I've bemoaned the loss of the Tada for this reason.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited October 2022
    Mark, we setup the TaB400 front dinette to bunk mode, and I sleep on it, as I am the early riser, whilst my wife sleeps in the rear bunk.  We changed the washroom door so it opens rear to back, and when open, it create a divider for the rear bunk, so I can have a light on without disturbing the sleeping partner.  The front bunk is large enough to sleep comfortably, and I am 5’”9.  

That said, I agree, a twin bed layout for the TaB400 would be grand.  The solo model came close, with a bunk in rear and the dinette bunk up front.  A 20’ TaB450 would allow a twin bunk setup in the rear, whilst maintaining the galley, washroom and front dinette areas.  This would create a nice three sleeping setup (four with the new bunk bed setup).  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I'm on my second 320.  Perfect for me as a solo traveler.
  • Options
    schwartzkischwartzki Member Posts: 46
    edited November 2022
    My wife and I are in a 400BD and after getting a dog this year are daydreaming towards full timing and a Airstream 25FB or 27FB with desk and rear cargo door. Only $110k :o . That is a long term goal. In the meantime we are going with less stuff and on the lookout for a used Walker tent for our long duration trips planned for next summer.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock (7200+ miles)
    2022 - 11 trips - 34 nights
    2023 - 4 trips - 21 nights and counting
    --------------------------------------------------
    2018 BMW X5 xDrive35d (17 mpg towing avg)
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road (10.9 mpg towing avg)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Every time I think I might like a bigger camper, I think about how easily it is for me to tow my 320 all over creation and about all the tiny campsites I can squeeze into. Oh, and it fits into my postage stamp sized backyard.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    I can go for the "less Stuff". Our Highlander was loaded to the roof, and most of it we never took out of the car! My previous Winnie had a huge amount of under storage. For some reason we decided to bring most that along on our first two 320s trips. Currently we are trying pare stuff down to a minimum. The dog and his stuff take up space, but we won't need the gen/inv this trip. I plan on adding a cargo basket to the Yakima rack to put the Walker tent in. That will free up a lot of space in the Highlander.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    Our first season in our 320S there were many claustrophobic moments. Especially when stuck inside due to weather. These were mostly shorter trips. This year we spent about five month on the road. A strange thing happened over this period. The size grew on us as we became accustom to it. There was more of a cozy, comfortable feel to it. After some of the longer days on the road or a day of hiking, we really looked forward to snuggling up in our tiny space. We're really looking forward to getting back out once the holidays are over.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited November 2022
    My previous trailer was what used to be called a Vacation Mobil Home (a smaller version of what is now referred to as a Park Model), a 27-foot Kenskill trailer.  It was a single axle, but lacked any holding tanks, and required connection to full service hookups to use all the facilities.  I did some off grid camping in it, by using a portable gray/black tank.  

Scaling down from that experience, I knew I didn’t want a large, hard to tow trailer like the Kenskill.  The TaB 320 was a bit too small, Airstream trailers a bit larger than I wanted, and the TaB400 turned out to be perfect, just the right size to make towing easy, but still have enough room inside without towing a big box.  

I was afraid the TaB would be too small, but like AnOldUR, after spending a few nights in it, it felt very cozy and comfortable.  Like the TARDIS from De, Who, small looking on the outside, and much bigger than you would except on the inside…
    Cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    Be nice to have stand up room in front of the john. Next I need to figure out these modern gadgets minus the sound and TV system.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    My dream trailer would be 19 or 20' airstream bambi. I could buy 3 or 4 or 5 320s's for that cost. Even if I had the money, would I spend it on that? Probably not. Maybe a used one will fall in my lap.