Options

Any must do mods or upgrades while my 2014 T@B is at the Sugarcreek Service Center?

I’ve had my 2014 T@B 320 CS-S for 2 years and taking the plunge with some big upgrades in Oct!! I haven’t found experienced NuCamp service centers here in Colorado, so I decided to make my first pilgrimage to Sugarcreek!! Worked with Austin the service manager and we are set to 1) upgrade to the boondock axle, 2) install the Alde high altitude kit and refresh the Alde glycol, and 3) -drum roll please- join my grey & black sewer outlets!! Very excited and actually looking forward to the drive.

So… it is a long way and not planning to do this regularly. Any other mods or upgrades I should consider doing while I’m there? Especially for an older model? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @StepheninDen looks like a solid plan to start. Have you considered having the factory install a rooftop solar panel? This is almost a must for new builds it seems and would improve usability and resale value too.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    StepheninDenStepheninDen Member Posts: 29
    Thanks @dragonsdofly! Solar panel was on my original list but I decided to try connecting a portable panel that I already own first. I like the idea of being able to position it, especially if I’m parked in the shade. I also mostly do weekend boondocking trips and haven’t run out of juice from my 100ah lithium battery yet. But… if I start doing longer trips I might regret not having the built in bigger panel. 🤔
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @StepheninDen if weekend boondocking is your jam, then the portable panel may be all that you need. Good luck with the great folks in Sugarcreek. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @StepheninDen - I hope by “refresh the Alde glycol” you mean change to the Rhomar.  It offers better corrosion protection.  You may also ask if they will ground the Alde directly to the battery, which helps prevent blown fuses.  When Aldes were initially installed in TaBs, any slight power surge would blow the DC fuse of the Alde.  This is why you may see forum members encouraging owners to turn off the Alde before unplugging from shorepower.  It prevents a power surge to the Alde when you next connect to shorepower.  I would have a MaxxAir fan installed (Maxxfan Deluxe) and consider having a Victron battery monitor installed.  There are certainly cheaper options for both of these, but I have never heard an owner regret their installs.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Very helpful @sharon_is_sam!! I hadn’t heard about Rhomar so I’ll check with Austin about switching over. I’m very familiar with the Alde fuse now, so glad getting it grounded will help with that. I’ll probably pass on the Victron right now given my current use but I will ask them for a price on the MaxxAir fan. I’ve been happy with the Fantastic so far. What are the benefits of upgrading to the MaxxAir? Are there any ways it’s worse, like greater power draw? Appreciate all these great suggestions from everyone!!
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM - I’ve just been reading the past threads about the switch to Rhomar glycol. I saw a couple of comments about it only needing to be changed every 5 years. Is that true? If it is that would be great!
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    @StepheninDen If you are happy with your Fantastic Fan, then the modification I suggest is installing a fan vent cover.  This allows you to fully open the fan vent when it's raining.  It's a significantly cheaper option than an MaxxAir fan replacement.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    Alde recommends the Rhomar to be changed every 2 years.  I believe the 5 year applies to Europe Alde systems.

The MaxxAir fan is quieter, uses less power and you can leave the vent open during rain and travel.  As Slacker noted, if you are happy with the Fantastic Fan, a much cheaper option is to just add a vent cover.  There are many vent cover discussions here on the forum.  
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    edited October 2022
    May not be a consideration for you, but I'm going to the MaxxAir rather than a cover because it collapses for more overhead clearance (read that it fits in my garage) while providing the benefits mentioned by @Sharon_is_SAM .

edit to ask @StepheninDen , what is nuCamp charging for the axle upgrade?

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Thanks @Sharon_is_SAM @Slackers and @AnOldUR!! I like the idea of just doing the vent cover for now. I’ll look at the MaxxAir when this fan eventually conks out.

@AnOldUR, for the boondock axle: Part is $1095, Labor is $596. I nearly had it done in Denver but reviews of the shop weren’t good and they wanted $2500.
  • Options
    AND… by going to Sugarcreek I could confidently also get the Alde and sewer work done!!
  • Options
    LisamorrisetteLisamorrisette Member Posts: 44
    Great mods you have planned. I have a 2014 320. I switched to a Maxair fan-didn’t myself with forum directions. Was pretty easy except a light sprinkling started as I was finishing and since I’m short I was laying on my belly and the rain turned the T@B roof into a slip and slide.
    I had Nucamp install a boondock platform snd box.-love it.
    I didn’t realize you could change the axle. Why join grey and black water? What is the advantage?
    Furbug 2014 T@B S - TV Toyota RAV
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    You can use the gray tank water to flush out the server hose connection for starts.  Another is not having to switch the hose when dumping the tanks, one hose connection, and two valves.  Open black tank vale, dump… then close black tank valve and open gray tank valve, dump… disconnect and Bob’s your uncle... 
    cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Lisamorrisette - the single outlet is for convenience.  You only need to hook up the hose to one outlet.
  • Options
    one hose would be convenient, what would really be nice is the cassette toilet and no black tank. Alas…
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    All I can say @Lisamorrisette is that I dumped my tanks when I returned from Sugarcreek last week and it was AMAZING!! It’s never been a big deal to me but as @Denny16 said having the gray dump rinse out the black connector and hose definitely decreases the ick factor and makes it a lot faster. I also have a very wide truck box (almost the width of the trailer) in place of the standard tongue box. So getting to the gray outlet was awkward. Austin at NuCamp had them rig up a cable release to the side of my box that I could never have done on my own. 

Here’s a couple of post mod pics (not sure why the Alde high altitude adapter pic is upside down 😂). I gained about 3” clearance with the new axle. Couldn’t be happier and NuCamp service was fantastic!!
  • Options
    Glad it all worked out for you.  BTW, nice looking TaB.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    Wow, love the mods. Since I’m in Ohio Sugarcreek is an easy jaunt. I definitely want the boondock axle, especially after the road to Chaco Canyon and a couple in Colorado. 

Love the combined tanks. I added the larger platform and it’s a struggle to connect the gray water. 

So tell me more about the high altitude feature for the Alde?
  • Options
    Yup @Lisamorrisette, after bending my front step and one of my stabilizer feet on some extra rocky dispersed camping roads here in Colorado, I’m excited about the extra height!  Do you have a clamshell? The one trade off to consider is that it also raises the rear galley height.

You’ve probably already seen all the great detailed posts about DIY grey/black sewer mods. I was going to do it myself this summer then decided to have NuCamp do it for me. My back appreciates not having to crawl under my box anymore to hook up the grey dump!

The high altitude kit is to address the rumble / rattle / smoke that the Alde can generate above 3-4k feet. Just search “Alde Freight Train” on the forum and you’ll find a lot of threads about it. Some T@Bs get it worse than others. My rumble wasn’t terrible but still annoying, especially for my friends tent camping with me who got the rumble without any of the heat benefit 😂. I’m in Denver and it would definitely get louder at 8k+ feet. There’s now a high altitude Alde setting standard on new T@Bs.

I think the kit is basically an additional propane regulator on the hose to the Alde that is sized for altitude. They tucked it right up behind the axle so it’s protected.. Apparently it’ll work just fine at sea level as well. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet but am hopeful it’ll do the trick.

You’re lucky Sugarcreek is in-state for you!! I drove over 20 hours and 6 states each way!! Let me know if you have any questions about arranging service. Hope they can hook you up with the T@B of your dreams!
  • Options
    Thanks @Denny16!! I think Big Tillie is getting damned near perfect!!
  • Options
    @Lisamorrisette and @StepheninDen - we had nuCamp install the high altitude propane regulator.  It works well at any elevation.
  • Options
    Hi Denny, I’m making my appointment the install the boondock axle and join the tanks. NuCamp asked if I wanted the the new wheels and tires which doubles the price. I take it you did not get them. My question is should I get them or not. What are the benefits? I’m looking for the clearance as I’ve been bending my jack going over bumps and dragging or almost dragging the back at boondock locations in Colorado and Utah. I want to solve this without buying a new T@b, mine is not the clamshell.
    your pictures are great. Here’s wishing smooth adventures.
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    Question...What Alde fluid is in the 2020 T@B 320 S Boondock ?  Really necessary to change, how often?
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    @GigHarborTom our 2020 T@B 320S came with the older Century One glycol fluid. It's recommended to change every two years, so if it has not been done, you're due. It's also recommended that you drain out all the old glycol, flush with distilled water and replace it with the newer Rhomar fluid.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Hi Denny, I’m making my appointment the install the boondock axle and join the tanks. NuCamp asked if I wanted the the new wheels and tires which doubles the price. I take it you did not get them. My question is should I get them or not. What are the benefits? I’m looking for the clearance as I’ve been bending my jack going over bumps and dragging or almost dragging the back at boondock locations in Colorado and Utah. I want to solve this without buying a new T@b, mine is not the clamshell.
    your pictures are great. Here’s wishing smooth adventures.
    @Lisamorrisette, I had the wheels and tires installed along with the axle.  The 15” wheels and larger off road type tires help,to lift the TaB further up,off the road than just the higher pitched axle alone.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    AnOldUR...
    Thanks..  Took the little devil to the Tacoma WA Apache shop this morning. After a minor shock, We went ahead with Alde flush and fluid upgade. $700..  The bearing lub, winterize, and check the frame rivet thang, Another $500.   With all well, we told them to have the sales folk to give us an offer. Doubt we would sell without a good price. Really like, but cost of fuel, etc, could trade for a couple trips to Europe, or a lot of hotels.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    GigHarborTom said: After a minor shock, We went ahead with Alde flush and fluid upgade. $700.. 
    Wow! I bought four gallons of the new Rhomar from nuCamp for about $30/gallon.

Not sure what the rest of the country is charging, but the last time I saw, a Pennsylvania dealer charged $285 for the exchange.
    Here's what they include for that price:

Perform manufacturer recommended replacement of glycol. -Drain system, flush fresh water both directions using adapters and Suction Machine to vacuum the system.-Install drain plug fill with new Rhomar brand glycol at reservoir.-Set circulator pump to high to purge air from system and test for proper operation. -Adjust coolant level to "full Hot" and RESET pump to #2.( PRICE INDLUDES GLYCOL AND 2 HOURS OF LABOR plus $15 environmental fee to dispose of old glycol).

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    TabloverTablover Member Posts: 2
    Do you have the name of the dealership in PA that does the flush and fill for $285?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    19631221963122 Member Posts: 44
    My new to me 2017 Tab320S is at Millers right now getting the Gyclol flush and a systems check on everything that needs to be checked. Very nice folks there at Millers.
     If I may be so bold as to ask.
    What were the costs on:
    Grey water black water connect 
    Factory solar panel
    The three diamond plate boxes on the front
    High altitude adapter
    Boondock axle conversion
    Thanks

BTW Millers charges $315 now for the flush. Sounds reasonable compared to what some others have paid.