Options

Dirty Fresh WaterTube

AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,303
edited October 2022 in Modifications & Upgrades
What's the purpose of this dirty tube going to the fresh water tank? Vent?

Stockton, New Jersey
2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,530
    Is that the vent @AnOldUR?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Is that the vent @AnOldUR?
    That's what I thought. Coming out of the side of the tank doesn't seem like a good design, but I could be wrong. In any case that's a pretty foul thing to be anywhere near fresh drinking water and not something that should be seen in a two year old trailer. Water has to be getting in there when the tank is topped off and then back washes into the tank as the volume goes down. It looks like a PITA to replace.
    Another view ...

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Yes, that is the vent for the FW tank. Yes, by virtue of its design, it gets filled with water. However, FWIW, I'm wrapping up eight seasons with mine and it still looks pretty clean.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited October 2022
    @ScottG Any ideas what could cause it?
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Any possibility antifreeze was in the tank and backed up into the vent?  Is the hose only stained?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    When we bought our 2020 320S used at the beginning of 2021 we had the dealer de-winterize. We store it in a heated garage, so have never winterized. I suppose something could have made it up into the vent tube from that first winter, but why would only the tube have the discoloration?
    I'm mostly interested in the best fix. Replacing the tube or maybe bleach in place?
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    If anything is in that tube, I would be afraid of it dislodging and mucking up the downstream pump and/or drain.  I vote replace.  Maybe contact nuCamp to see if this is unique.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    AnOldUR said:
    @ScottG Any ideas what could cause it?
    Not really. Could be any number of things. Can you tell if it is really dirty (as in solidish stuff lodged in the tube) or is just discolored?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    sunnynjersunnynjer Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2023
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but found the same thing upon removing the coroplast cover for the first time (also a mouse nest, that bit the grey tank sensor wire, that kicked this whole thing off).  Wondering if @AnOldUR
    replaced or not.  If so, was it hard?  I pushed hot bleach water through with a syringe from the fill port.  Hoping it clears up and then will flush the whole system twice.
    2019 Silver 320-CS Sofitel
    2011 F-150 TV.  San Diego, CA
  • Options
    Actually glad you revived this @sunnynjer. After I buttoned up the cover I forgot about this thinking it looked more like it was just discolored and that nothing would cause a problem under everyday use. Regardless, replacing that section of tubing is on my to do list, but I never seem to get to it.

Interested to hear how your hot bleach flush works.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,218
    @AnOldUR  I'm assuming you've sanitized your fresh water tank? Could the bleach in the water have faded the tubing's color to clear? It looks like the tube is black (or dark brown) and the clear section going into the tank could've just faded from using a bleach solution. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Hadn't even thought of that @manyman297. Yes, I've sanitized the tank many times. It will be interesting to see if the tube is dark everywhere beyond where the tank can back fill it.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,218
    It just looks too perfectly dark throughout. Like the color is impregnated into the tube. If you have a borescope that would be perfect to insert into the tube to see what’s going on with minimal effort.
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    sunnynjersunnynjer Member Posts: 4
    While I am fairly confident the bleach killed anything there, it did not remove all the staining. I had to resort to Powdered Brewery Wash.  We hombrewers are familiar with cleaning plastic lines  =)
    2019 Silver 320-CS Sofitel
    2011 F-150 TV.  San Diego, CA