Options

Winterizations FAIL at dealership 🥲

I have a 2020 Tab 320 S that I have had winterized at the dealership three times now. This time upon getting it home I immediately realized I didn’t think it was done correctly as there was water still in my toilet and water still in my faucets.  Upon contacting the dealer that I honestly do love, the best they said they could do was to have me bring it back which happens to be a five hour round-trip drive, redo it, and refund me my money. I know it sounds petty but wow it’s a long drive with a lot of gas and it was done incorrectly. What would you do? What would your expectation be? I did ask him what would’ve happened if everything froze and he said that that would be a really bigger bill on their part to repair it.  I appreciate your thoughts.  Thanks!  

Comments

• Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    That is a very unfortunate experience.  I would have huge concerns about having them do further work on my trailer.  I'm not a huge DIY person, but maybe that is best.  At least you know what was done and how.  Yikes.  BTW, winterizing isn't all that difficult, even I can do it (which is saying something)!  :)
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    KimmieGuyKimmieGuy Member Posts: 27
    My thoughts also, and thanks for making me feel more human.  I can see not flipping a valve correctly, but having water still in the lines and in my toilet is a huge red flag for me.  It’s almost like the job wasn’t even done at all.  As my son says, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.  Such a different world we live in nowadays. Thanks again.  
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @KimmieGuy - Did they do anything?  Did they add antifreeze to the fresh tank?  Did the tech get interrupted?  What was their explanation?  I would email Customer Experience at nuCamp help@nucamprv.com.  They appreciate feedback on their dealers.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,185
    That's hardly being petty. You paid them to do a job and they clearly didn't do it. If you can, try and see if there are any mobile RV techs in your area that do winterizations. I would get your money back regardless of if you go back to them or not. I run a business myself and I can't imagine keeping somebody's money for doing something I was supposed to do and didn't do it. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    Take the refund and do the winterization yourself with the help of the instructions available on this forum. An investment in a compressor is money well spent as you can use it for a myriad of other chores as well as in winterizing your T@B. You'll wonder how you got along without one for so long . . .
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    I realize a lot of people don't feel comfortable doing this sort of thing on your own but @CharlieRN is right. Winterizing has a minor learning curve and once you've done it, it's mostly rinse and repeat each season. In just a few years you'll have saved hundreds of dollars and hours and empowered yourself. And a compressor is something I feel every homeowner should own. Kill two birds. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    KimmieGuyKimmieGuy Member Posts: 27
    I appreciate your thoughts so very much.  I do feel empowered by your comments.  My mechanical engineer son and I will now be doing all my winterizations in the future.  I choose to return to the dealer tomorrow to speak my peace and watch the owner do it correctly.  I figure he owes me that much to teach me how to do it.  As far as what his reasons are for it not being done correctly, that will be interesting.  I’m a teacher and accept mistakes, but I feel like this job was completely knowingly not done.  I don’t think it was a mistaken “switch.”  I do not think any antifreeze was added into the lines AT ALL.  And the kid told me to have a nice day…. Wow…. I swear it was pure evil.  He had to know it wasn’t set to go.  I’ll find out tomorrow, and just appreciate this forum so very much.  Thanks!!!!  I will update.  Please double check work done.  If I hadn’t caught this, I can’t imagine the damage and repair time.  
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @dragonsdofly -- so sorry to read of your medical situation, but inspired by your perseverance! 
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @PNWtabber thanks for the sentiment but, no worries. I offered the info simply as encouragement to @KimmieGuy. I know it is possible to accomplish everything you may personally choose. I also know there is always a reason to dance.

I am in month 100 of what was supposed to be a 18-20 month ride (not that I'm counting). So far, there is no medical explanation, but every day is a blessing and more than 1 kind of adventure.

Every trip is that much sweeter. Every sight is so much more awesome and every person or meeting is just so much more precious than it might have been otherwise. What a joy!

Today the DH and me winterized our t@b and cleaned it up after 4 cats, a parrot, husband and me spent several weeks residing in it while our full-time trailer was rebuilt and repaired. The simplicity and the technology are to be appreciated. I love my t@b. I wish we could full-time in it because of the ease of travel it provides but in our present circumstances that is not possible.

Thanks again, and I hope to meet all of you someday out there adventuring! Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 259
    A few suggestions for winterizing that I've found helpful:
    -Don't skimp on the anti-freeze.  I know that many people get the job done with a single gallon.  However, I've found that by the time all of the valves run 'pink', I'm pretty close to the bottom of a gallon jug...then I start sucking air and have to re-prime.  This year, I bought 2 gallons and put them both into a single bucket so I didn't have to stop the process once I started.
    -Use a hose just long enough to reach the bottom of the bucket...no loops.
    -If you do get air in the line, open up the cold water low-point drain...this will bleed the air and get the pump going again very quickly.  
  • Options
    Glad they took care of it. And in all honesty, there’s really no magic or smoke and mirrors when it comes to winterizing. And once you do it you’ll wonder why you ever paid somebody to do it. If you have the time and motivation doing it yourself is the best option. 
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Glad it all got sorted satisfactorily 
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Dame_plumeDame_plume Member Posts: 75
    @KimmieGuy So glad it worked out for you!  Same thing happened to me with over 1000$ damage on my trailer. The difference in my case was that there was pink antifreeze in sink and toilet but my valves were positioned wrong and I believe they used too much pressure and blew my faucet pipes.  Found out only at spring.  Not fun.
    Sylvie and Mike, Ontario, Canada / 2020 Tab 320S (Charlie) / 2021 Chevrolet Colorado LT (V6) Enhanced Towing Package
    "The only place where you start at the top is when you dig a hole"
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    Holding my breath. Takeing the trailer in for winterising, bearing check and lub, plus the infamess frame rivet issue. I did all repairs, maint, and restoration in the past. 82 here, wife says, I am getting drifty, docs say memory lose for unknown reason. Love camping and travel. Just drive very little and "don't get around much anymore"  Seems I do not spell very well either.    But we are still having the good life.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,278
    edited November 2022
    Almost 70 but feeling the same as you @GigHarborTom. Still managing to do some things in retirement, they just take five times longer because of moving slow and fixing mistakes. Even so, taking on these tasks can be both rewarding and the only way to be sure they're done right. Never stop checking your work (it seem to be a lost art these days). Whether it's a forum post or changing your Alde fluid, time and persistence are your best tools.

Example, I just spent ten minutes down the rabbit hole of the correct spelling and use of the word "whether" and almost a half hour writing this simple post. But as you said, it's still a good life.

Edit to add that knowing your limits is the same if you're young or old. There are still many things best left to the pros.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler