Options

Bike rack for Tab 320

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Hmmm! Did you extend the tongue to get that to work?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,277
    edited November 2022
    I believe for towing safety, tongue extension are better than hitch extensions, but frame stress and proper tongue weight need to be addressed. Are you still within the 10% to 15% that's recommended?

We're about to put a front receiver on our Wrangler for bikes, but interested in hearing what you, @Bill_F, and others have to say about this solution.

edit to add:
    It took my old brain a while to realize/remember that this mod was previously posted a couple of times by @Bill_F and discussed at length here on the forum. Since the original post is coming up on two years, it must be holding up for him.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/14804/carry-motorcycle-ebikes-bicycle-on-tab-320#latest
    and
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/12768/low-rider-suv-wagon#latest
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    GregChrisGregChris Member Posts: 189
    I was considerIng the hitch riser/doubler. Alas my 2021 320sbd came with a wingman.

• Options
    Bill_FBill_F Member Posts: 40
    Sorry for not seeing the questions, but have not visited this forum in a while.

Yes, the system that allows the trailer tongue to be telescoped out to carry either one KTM on/off road desert motorcycle or two off-road e-bikes (@ 55 lbs ea) has worked well over hundreds of miles of highways and dirt roads. When not using bicycles or the motorcycle I slide the extended trailer tongue back in and pin it in place at the original length the trailer was manufactured with.

We've taken several trips and all has worked as designed with either the motorcycle rack or the bicycle rack pinned in place onto the extendable trailer tongue (see pictures from the original post).  

I had originally considered using one of the dual hitch sleeve adapters currently on the market for a bike rack on the car and a hitch extended out under the bike or motorcycle rack. But connecting the trailer with a hitch extended so far out from the rear bumper of a car or truck would have made towing much less stable, especially under hard braking or cornering at speed. 

Also, the chance of crunching the motorcycle or bicycles on a fixed car rack into the trailer when turning would have been greater as well. I've tried both methods.

The extended trailer tongue allows for towing with the motorcycle or bikes on the trailer tongue and hardly feel like I'm towing. All is road balanced and very stable.

I'd be glad to demonstrate the system to anyone who would like to stop by our address in Ventura, CA, just off the 101 freeway between Malibu and Santa Barbara.  I can also be reached by e-mail: bfedde@fedcomprop.com.

Thanks for your interest.