Strategies for sleeping as a couple in a Tab 400

bdunningbdunning Member Posts: 11
edited December 2022 in Tips & Tricks
In a separate post I just made, I mentioned that my wife and I have downsized from a fifth wheel to a Tab 400. Probably the biggest hurdle for us doing this was the bed configuration in the 400 which makes it challenging for the person sleeping on the far side of the bed to get out of bed in the night without waking up the other person. Frankly we have been used to sleeping in our fifth wheel in a queen bed that can be accessed from either side of the bed so we know this will be a huge adjustment.
I just wondered what others on this forum have done regarding making sleeping arrangements work with the small bed in the 400 that can only be accessed from the middle of one. Sure we could sleep in separate beds but that is not our preference.
Thoughts?

Comments

• berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 951
    We sleep in a full size bed at our house so the bed in the 400 is actually a bit larger than our home bed.  So it works well for us. However if my wife needs to get up in the middle of the night, which is generally very rare, and has to climb over me, she sleeps on the inside, I wake up.  Not much I can do about that and it's no big deal for me as I'm generally a light sleeper and it's just part of having a bed configured like that.  I suppose I could have a few extra cocktails before bed but then I would have to deal with the headache in the morning.  I'll just continue to wake up then fall back asleep. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 260
    With a side-to-side bed like the 400’s, one of you has to be the midnight crawler. In our case, that would be me. I’m 6‘4“ tall and have figured out how to get over my wife in the middle of the night without disturbing her or our dog too much. Requires long legs and arms, and a specific sequence of moves. Plus, I’m not claustrophobic and don’t mind sleeping in the rear-end wedge of our Tab.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • linolino Member Posts: 223
    We have a 320 but issue is the same basically 

We just adapt, try to disturb each other as little as possible 

And then both of us go back to  sleep 😴 
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,268
    We're in a 320S, but sleep with a permanently setup side-to-side arrangement, so not that much different than you 400 people. Like @bergger, I'm a light sleeper and get up often during the night. My wife on the other hand sleeps well through most nights. If she does need to get out, my light sleeping has me wake up as soon as she moves so I just sit up and let her go by. Probably not all that common of a situation, but it works for us.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    We love the sleeping arrangement of the 400. Not a problem at all for us. There's a sense of closeness when that shuffling occurs.  :)
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• justdoit70justdoit70 Member Posts: 42
    We both love our 21 400 boondock SOLO I sleep in the back with out making a queen bed and wife sleeps up front on the dinette that is kept in bed mode she is 5’5. This arrangement gives floor space and easy to maneuver around works great  for us. I am up at least twice a night.Sad that nu camp  quit making this model .We shopped since 2014 looking for a configuration like the SOLO 2021 got it done. Loving it.

Ed &Cathy
    Poconos, Pa

2016 Tacoma 4x4 sport 2021 t@b 400 Solo Boondock
  • Jay_and_KatJay_and_Kat Member Posts: 212
    We managed it through this past season with the wife sleeping on the "inside" of the bed and me at the back where the roof curves down.  She's usually the one who has to get up in the middle of the night, so it worked out.

Except in the morning when I'm the one who gets up first and would have to (try) crawling over her without waking her.  Although she could usually get back to sleep afterwards.  The biggest nuisance in the mornings for me like that is, I couldn't put my water on to boil to make coffee without disturbing her (and we'd not set up our outside camp stove.)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Jay and Kat
    Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
    Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge
  • bdunningbdunning Member Posts: 11
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts about this. It is helpful to consider the options but time will tell what we end up doing. If anyone else has any ideas I would appreciate hearing the. Thanks.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Jay! I got a small induction cooktop designed for camping, and put it on a small table outside by the 120VAC outside plug on the 400.  Add one folding camping chair, and I boil the water in less than a couple of minutes for making coffee.  For the short time it takes to heat the water, not a big power user either, and the inverter handles the load (to use the inverter, on an older TaB400, ykumwill need to split the outlets into two circuits, the top one for shore power original connection snd run a cable from the existing inverter outlet at the foot of the bed, or run a second cable from the inverter).
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    edited December 2022
    :)
    Stockton, New Jersey

• kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Running wires from two different electric power sources into the same electrical box?  Is that safe even though the receptacle is split?  Is that safe?  Is it legal by electrical code? 

Doug
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
    The Tab 400 (and many others) bed arrangement is a bugger to say the least.  We have had this arrangement several times, never liked it.  

Also do not like the short seating of the dinette.  I don't know how you could lounge comfortably there in the evening.  We had this in our Airstream and we ripped out the dinette and put in recliners, with a same table between; I don't think that is at all possible with the Tab.

We ended up solving both problems by getting a Tab 320s Boondock instead.  We set up the bed in the twin configuration and lift the ratcheting backrests for lounging.  Really comfortable for two campers and our little dog.  But I still hate the tiny, tiny bathroom.  If it wasn't for that bathroom, it would be our perfect traveling camper.
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • bdunningbdunning Member Posts: 11
    I appreciate all the comments so far. Does anyone else have any thoughts?
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Doug, the two circuits are both 120VAC, just from separate sources.  As long as the box is large enough to pull both cables into, and with the receptacle split and both sources are fuse or circuit breaker protected, it old not be an issue.  Travel trailers do not conform to most electrical codes to start with (nor are they required to), with their 120 VAC wiring setups, and exposed surface wire pulls.
     Cheers   

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Denny16, a power source from shore power and another power source from an inverter, then wired into the same electrical box is a safety issue and an electrical accident waiting to happen.  Even though the receptacle is modified to split the two different power sources.

Yes they are both 120VAC, but they are not in phase with one another, a receptacle in disguise.  Who would expect this if not aware of it?

If someone who is not aware of this modification was to work on this receptacle, or a device plugged into it, then shuts off one power source, he probably would not know the other side of the receptacle is still hot.  Dangerous.  

I am familiar with residential electrical codes but have no expertise in travel trailer electrical requirements.  I do have 30 years experience as an aircraft electrician; aircraft are not required to follow residential electrical codes either.  But as an electrician of any type, I can't imagine modifying an electrical system so that it may be a hazard to the user or technician who services it.

Isn't it better to put in another electrical box, one for shore power and a new one for inverter power, and take the extra measure of labeling each.  Not that hard to do, you're running another circuit anyway, just a matter of cutting in another box.

Doug

Minnesota and Arizona
    edited December 2022
    :)
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,448
    Can we get back to discussing sleeping arrangements?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    My wife and I have slept over 190 nights in our 400 since July 2018. My size (6' 5"+) makes a challenge to sleep in any camper.  One of the first "Travels with Delaney" You Tube gave a great suggestion which was if either person need to get up during the night, both of you should get up.  This has worked well for us.  Would I prefer a walk around bed, yes but I am not willing to trade the size and efficiency of the wet bath or the spacious galley and dinette for different sleeping arrangements.  This works for us but your results may vary.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 260
    My wife would never agree to that arrangement. Crawl over I must. 😎
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • I have thought about adding a grab bar or a thick rope above the bed where the window ends on the 400. I sleep on the aft side of the bed. If I could just grab on to something I know I could more easily hoist myself over my sleeping wife. But i dont know how to securely attach something like this because it would have to hold almost my entire body weight of 200 lbs. Thoughts?
    Karen and Chris
    2021 T@B 400, 2018 Land Cruiser
    Dallas, Texas
    “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey