Plugged my 2021 Tab 400 into a 240 plug on accident and blew the converter (maybe?)

I did a real dumb and plugged my Tab in a 240 volt 30 amp - that I myself had wired. I know, I know. This is 100% my mistake. I have wired plenty of 30 amp plugs in that past and just wired it up as a 240 out of habit. Consider me suitably admonished and please help me out of this mess. 

First the good news: I was testing the plug and didn't have anything running. The rig was plugged in 30-60 seconds before I noticed the lights on the surge guard (which, if you didn't know, is not a surge protector - I know this now). I unplugged everything and did some googling to see how much trouble I was in, and luckily, all the appliances that I can test on 12 volts seem to be fine.

Now the bad news: I can no longer run on shore power. I don't have a wiring diagram, so I don't know exactly what might have been fried by 240 volts. From what I have been able to figure out, it looks like at least the converter and maybe the main 30 amp breaker. 

We are supposed to leave for the holidays on Tuesday the 20th. We have the solar package, so we can make it work, but I would love to get shore power back before we leave. I am in Seattle and I have Monday to fix this (if possible). Any thoughts?

Comments

• AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,268
    edited December 2022
    WFCO is probably shot, but since most everything you'll need will run on 12V or propane a short term fix may be to connect a smart charger like a NOCO directly to the battery to maintain the charge while on shore power.

Consider installing an EMS while doing your repairs.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,596
    You don't tell us what trailer and what year.  You need to open up the converter and check the circuit breakers and check the status there. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • adamTabOwneradamTabOwner Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2022
    @pthomas745 Sorry, it was in the title, 2021 Tab 400. 
    @AnOldUR that makes sense. Do you have any resources on how to do that? I think I can figure it out, but I let's just say I am feeling a little humble right now.
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,268
    edited December 2022
    @adamTabOwner I don't know of any resources, but they are pretty straight forward to use. Set the charger for your battery type and connect using the alligator clips. Assuming that as @pthomas745 mentioned above you've checked all the fuses and breakers? If you're lucky, it could be a simple fix.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 362
    Hi, As Paul suggested, have you checked the main circuit breaker in your WFCO?    Maybe you got lucky and it just blew/went bad and can be replaced?  Was it tripped or do you noticed any burnt marks behind it?  Here is the website to WFCO.  I would call the tech. support tomorrow and maybe they can help with getting the 12V circuits working.   https://wfcoelectronics.com/ WFCO Electronics - Home    There is also some electrcal diagrams here for a 400. Electrical Resources (vanillacommunity.com)  Maybe they have enough information to help you begin to trouble shoot.  Best wishes..
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,578
    edited December 2022
    First Off, this is not that rare of an event with lots of threads on the topic across several RV Brand Forums.

The wiring error changed the 120VAC Neutral, system ground, to a second 120VAC HOT conductor.

Normal 120VAC

Abnormal 240VAC

Since the Convertor Board in the WFCO Power Center is hard wired 'on' it is toast and its Circuit Breaker might be as well.  Replacement Boards can be purchased . . . just 5-wires to connect.

The Alde, Air Conditioner, and 3-Way Style Fridge - - - if 'off' - - - when the 240VAC was present are most likely Okay.  While the 2-way Fridge is hard wired to 12VDC only.  Except for the Convertor Board and any outlets on its Circuit Breaker I'd expect the AC Panel to be functional.

Note:  Some owners have reported having an Inverter that includes a Shore Power input mode (that way the inverter does not have to 'run' to feed those outlets) . . . so it's possible the Inverter was damaged

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    Thanks everyone! This is all very helpful. The breaker panel is superficially okay. I didn't notice any smell of burning electrical or see any signs of damage. None of the breakers appeared to trip during the event either. The only thing odd about the panel is that the 30 amp rocker has some play when it is in the "on" position (it can be pressed forward more by a millimeter or so). I am not familiar with WFCO breakers, but the 20 and 15 amp breakers have no play in them.

Based on my read of the electrical diagram, I think the only thing that was energized was the 30 amp breaker, the 15 amp breaker for the converter, and the converter itself. Does anyone know if there is a place to get WFCO breakers in Seattle (or nearby)? Then I could test if we can run off shore power. I probably won't be able to charge the battery, but the solar charger is still running, so we can make do.
    edited December 2022
    Hi,  This is the 8700 series in 320's.  You can download the specific manual for the 400, but they look like standard breakers.  The top list is  for the 30 amp main breaker.    You can get THQL THQP at Lowes or HD.

2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,448
    Yes, civility is expected and enforced.  Enough said:)
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 602
    Indeed.  The last time I recall this happening, it was an electrician that wired the outlet incorrectly to 240V.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/154789#Comment_154789
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited December 2022
    @adamTabOwner If the main breaker has a space when pushed to on position,,if it has tripped.  Try switching it all the way off then back on.  If you have a meter you can meter the voltage going on and coming out if the breaker to test it.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Hi @adamTabOwner,

Just curious what ended up being the issue?

Hopefully it was simple and everything is working....
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland