Year-end cost summary for 2022 mods

I have been keeping a spreadsheet of items purchased for our T@B which I classified either as a mod or accessory since we purchased the trailer less than 1 year ago. We got it in Feb of 2022 so this is really what I did/spent in the first year, which is a a rather whopping $2800.  Baring any significant issues, the cost for the upcoming years of use will be much less since this was all to get it set for how we use the camper.  We had another travel travel before this so we did carry forward many of the items.  I did not list some of the smaller cost items that we added along the way, hooks, unbreakable dishware, etc. so probably figure another $100 or so.

At $2800+ maybe it would be better not to know lol.

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
South Jersey

Comments

• dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    Welcome to the world of camping!  :o  As I've experienced, Amazon Prime is your friend. It all adds up so fast and you may not be done!

I like the idea of a rubber sheet to deflect water from front tub opening...I'd love to see a pic!

You might want to consider an EMS (electrical management system) which offers more protection than a surge protector. https://www.amazon.com/Portable-RV-Surge-Protector-EMS-PT30X/dp/B01N0W4CZ8?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Happy New Year!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Its encouraging to see accountants buying T@Bs and getting out from behind their desks.  Hopefully the actuaries will be next.  =)
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    Next mod should be replacing that surge protector with an EMS/Surge Protector.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • subkronsubkron Member Posts: 143
    @dsfdogs Thanks for the welcome, may be new to T@Bs but have been camping in various ways for over 50 years now. Mostly tent, a couple of pop-up models and a 29' TT before the T@B.

WRT to the EMS, I needed one quickly so I got the portable kind of surge protection.  I looked at Progressive hardwired and there are numerous posts about the unit humming (and some that say it doesn't).  If there is a humming that is a deal breaker for me, I still have that mod on the list though.

@Tabaz Nope, not an accountant, just an engineer.  One reason that I keep a list is that if I ever decide to sell the trailer the cost of mods & accessories get added to the selling price, appropriately adjusted of course. It becomes pretty powerful bargaining tool for the best price.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
     @subkron, can you elaborate on how you used a "rubber sheet to deflect water from front tub opening?"  Was that for the backside of the tub?  Also, did you replace the weatherstripping from the door and window(s)?  If so, did you have water penetration in those areas, or were you improving the seal in those areas?  If you have photos of what you did, I would be interested in seeing them.  Thanks!  (P.S.  I installed the Progressive hardwired EMS and do not hear a humming sound.  It saved my electrical system one time when I plugged in to a campground outlet that had a faulty ground.)
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• subkronsubkron Member Posts: 143
    For the "rubber sheet to deflect water from front tub opening":
    The rear of the front storage tub has an opening for the propane tank hose which allows water to get into to get into tub when raining or traveling over wet roads.  For the most part the items I have in there are OK with that, but I don't want to have any mold issues if I can avoid it.  I have the trailer in storage but I will try to grab some pics when I can.

Basically I purchased a 12"x12"x1/16" piece of rubber sheet and cut it ~4" (?, will need to check) wider than the opening and a little shorter that the height of the opening.  I then drilled a couple of holes on the tub between the top of the opening and the hinge. From the back side of the tub attached the rubber piece using stainless hardware. Being only 1/16" thick, the rubber naturally "drapes" over the propane hose.  Any rain coming down is then deflected around the opening.  If I was to use a "fixed" deflector I was concerned that as the frame flexes the deflector would contact the T@B or chafe the hose, the rubber eliminates that.

For the "...replace the weatherstripping from the door and window(s)...":
    There is no weatherstripping there as confirmed by nuCamp.  The problem I ran into was (to me) significant gaps between the frame and shell that allowed for a lot of bugs getting in.

I posted this on some other threads, here is one on the door:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/15960/screen-door-gasket-missing#latest 

And this is one about the window:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/16231/how-are-mosquitoes-getting-in-with-fuzz#latest

hth. Ron

2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    South Jersey
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Thanks for the quick response and links, @subkron.  The information is very helpful.  I have not experienced an issue with bugs coming through the area around the screen door.  My screen door is tight against the wall, but after seeing your post I will take a closer look to see if adding some weatherstripping as a preventative measure would be worthwhile.  Same goes for my window screens, but I did pick up some extra insect fuzz (just in case) when nuCamp offered it to attendees at T@Bazona.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• brorobbrorob Member Posts: 18
    If you do end up getting a hard wired unit to protect your power, check out the Power Watchdog EPO from Hughes.  It will handle a bigger surge than the Progressive EMS and also has a replaceable surge module in case it ever suffers from a large surge.  It also has Bluetooth capabilities for monitoring.  I installed it under the bench in the electrical area of our DM so we aren't bothered by the bright light it has when operating, which I saw as the biggest complaint.  I also added an A-B switch so it adds protection from our onboard inverter and shoreline power.  Had it for a year now and no issues.
  • SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    subkron said:
    WRT to the EMS, I needed one quickly so I got the portable kind of surge protection.  I looked at Progressive hardwired and there are numerous posts about the unit humming (and some that say it doesn't).  If there is a humming that is a deal breaker for me, I still have that mod on the list though.
    I've had 3 Progressives on my different campers over the years including a hardwired on my T@B. No humming from any of them.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York