Go full hook-up, or just shore power?

Going to be reserving a campsite at a state park in a bit over 2 weeks and we've got the option of:
  1. Full hook-up with shore power, water, and sewer
  2. Shore power only with public restrooms / showers
So, given your druthers, cost being equal, which would you pick?  We can (we hope) snag a site thar backs up on the lake so we have a nice view out the back in either section, it does look like most of the sites in the full hook-up area are not shaded while the shore power sites (also used for tent camping) will be shadier.
----------------------------------------------------------
Jay and Kat
Tow vehicle:  2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S + tow package
Camper:  2022 T@B 400 Boondock w/Norcold 3-way fridge

Comments

• berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    I'd go full hook-ups.  We generally camp with no hookups.  However from June-Sept each summer my wife has to spend a week down in the Denver area for work.  We book a full hookup site for these trips and do enjoy it.  It's nice every once in a while to enjoy all the amenities of the 400 from the cable tv to the bathroom.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Two weeks, I would do full hookups if money and sites are basically equal.  The trouble I have found at campground no-hookups is you might be next to the guy with the cheap (loud) generator.  That'll ruin a vacation.

Doug
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Oops, just noticed all have shore power.  Still, your own private bathroom is a usually a good idea, and the 400 has a nice one.

Doug
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Jay_and_Kat, I suppose it depends on what you value most, keeping in mind the length of your stay.

If you prefer a shadier spot with a good view, and you are OK with the public restrooms and shower, that is your answer.  However, if you would rather use your own restroom and shower, and thus will need an easy way to dump the holding tanks, go the full hookups route.

My wife and I prefer to use the shower and toilet in our trailer, regardless of whether we have full hookups or not.  However, if we are going to be at a campground for an extended period, we are more likely to select full hookups.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    I'd definitely go for the better site every time- even if that meant only electric. I'd buy a black water tote (if i didn't already own one) and use my own bathroom, using a 5 gallon water container to fill fresh water from time to time. Nice to have a tote for the setup/ time frame you describe. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    I generally prefer full hookups, or at least electric & water. Having a non-Nautilus model means filling the fresh tank manually from a bucket is a bit more work, and I’d rather use the city water hookup. I also hate the pump noise and avoid it where possible.

Shade is only important this time of year in the desert SW…and being in AZ the last few weeks (no trailer this trip), it’s not even been important here. Different story during the heat of summer, obviously!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW