Trailer Brakes HELP - TV is 2022 Subaru Wilderness towing Tab 320-S BD Edge 2020

Hi All!!
I am completely new to group, but have spent many hrs reading the wealth of information you all have provided.  I bought a 2022 Subaru Wilderness last year, with tow hitch installed, comes with 4 pin. Towing weight is 3500#.  I was not really ready to buy a trailer just yet, but came across a wonderful deal on a 2020 Tab 320S that had been taken care of and maintained really well. My brother has a 2021 and I know this little gem is what I wanted, and could tow with my car.  So to my question or advice.... I know that I need to get my 4 pin rewired to a 7 pin, which Subaru dealer can do.... but I am so confused on what to do about trailer brakes. For those who dont have a brake controller already pre installed in your car, what have you done? The thought of anything being drilled and installed inside my car makes me ill... My first goal this year is to get comfortable towing the TaB around locally and doing small trips while I figure out how the car pulls, how to load everything correctly... and most of all backing up into camp spots..  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    I use a Tekonsha Prodigy RF wireless brake controller with my Outback/320 combo. No in-car installation required. Curt also makes a wireless controller.

Be sure to get a tongue weight scale and use it routinely. Tongue weight is the biggest issue with using any 3500 lb towing capacity vehicle, since it’s not at all uncommon to reach 300+ lbs on a later model 320 tongue once the trailer is loaded.

We have a wealth of information on this forum for you, and plenty of solo and first time RVers. You’re in the right place!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    edited January 2023
    We purchased our 2020 T@B 320S from an Airstream dealer. They install a Prodigy P2 controller in our Wrangler as part of the deal. The Jeep had a hitch, but no wiring. After researching, we knew that we wanted a hard wired controller over wireless. The dealer did a nice job of installing it under the dash, so don't be nervous about that aspect, but ask the installer to show you where he plans to put it. Ours is out of the way, yet easy to access. Just be sure to get the trailer brakes working and learn how to use them before doing any towing.

Welcome to the forum!

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    edited January 2023
    I tow my 2021 230 S with a 2021 Outback.

The 4-pin to 7-pin conversion is an easy DIY job if you're comfortable installing the wiring harness and running a couple lines up front to the battery for 12v.

I use a Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller. It's not as convenient as a wired-in controller, but if you follow the directions, it works pretty dang well. The number one mistake that leads to negative reviews is that people don't read the directions: every time you turn the tow vehicle back on, the Echo controller needs to be powered off then re-inserted into the 7-pin connector, then the trailer should be plugged in after pairing to the app is confirmed. If you only set it up at the beginning of the drive and don't reconnect after stopping for gas/a break and cutting the engine, it will start to behave erratically at low (off-highway) speeds.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited January 2023
    techietab said:

I use a Curt Echo bluetooth brake controller. It's not as convenient as a wired-in controller, but if you follow the directions, it works pretty dang well. The number one mistake that leads to negative reviews is that people don't read the directions: every time you turn the tow vehicle back on, the Echo controller needs to be powered off then re-inserted into the 7-pin connector, then the trailer should be plugged in after pairing to the app is confirmed. If you only set it up at the beginning of the drive and don't reconnect after stopping for gas/a break and cutting the engine, it will start to behave erratically at low (off-highway) speeds.
    Wow, that’s a bit of a pain! I had no idea, though I’m glad to hear there’s a workaround to the reported issues. No such problem with the wireless Prodigy, it’s plug and play…but it does have to be mounted to the trailer frame, and connecting for the very first time can be a pain. Never had an issue automatically reconnecting after that first setup, even if it sits for months.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    Does a Subaru with a "Tow Package" have the wiring from the pin up to the dash? If you decide on a "wired" controller, and the wiring is already behind the dash, a competent RV type will take just a few minutes to install it.  The bracket will need about just a couple of very small screws to hold the brake controller on...and  you will literally never see those little holes ever again.  They won't use a chainsaw to install a device smaller than your cell phone.  The only time I notice my wired controller is when I plug in the trailer to tow.  The rest of the time you would never notice you have one.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Sara717 - we have never regretted having our Prodigy RF Brake controller.  The device is attached to the trailer front frame and the TaB plugs into it, then you just plug the other end into the 7 pin.  The handheld portion just plugs into your 12V outlet in your TV.  We simply adjust it as we depart our driveway and off we go.  I recommend having 10 gauge wiring used for the charge wire and the ground wire of the 7 pin to optimize battery charging.  Lastly, if you go the RF controller route, you don’t need a brake wire, but have one placed anyway in case you change controllers.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Sara717Sara717 Member Posts: 2
    Does a Subaru with a "Tow Package" have the wiring from the pin up to the dash? If you decide on a "wired" controller, and the wiring is already behind the dash, a competent RV type will take just a few minutes to install it.  The bracket will need about just a couple of very small screws to hold the brake controller on...and  you will literally never see those little holes ever again.  They won't use a chainsaw to install a device smaller than your cell phone.  The only time I notice my wired controller is when I plug in the trailer to tow.  The rest of the time you would never notice you have one.
    It has the hitch, but not what I would consider a "tow package" There is not wiring behind the dash, for a break controller. Its a brand new car, which only happens every 20 years or so for me, so I am of course hesitant to add any new gadgets to the inside of the car. I also feel the TV is a little crowded on the drivers side. I will take a look at all the suggestions everyone has made and continue my research. I will invest in a tongue weight scale as well, as I can read that balance of weight is very important. Subaru dealer was not overly helpful in suggestions, maybe visiting a local RV dealer is the way to go. 
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    @Sara717 totally understand not wanting to "drill."  Sounds like one of the RF setups mentioned will work for you just fine.  And: you might want to check with basic "utility trailer" business, the ones that might sell boat trailers, etc.  They may also be able to handle your needs, too.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 261
    techietab said:
    I tow my 2021 230 S with a 2021 Outback.

The 4-pin to 7-pin conversion is an easy DIY job if you're comfortable installing the wiring harness and running a couple lines up front to the battery for 12v.

No way I’m going to all that trouble. I own one of these, and assuming that’s what it takes to make it work correctly, I’ll just trash it. That’s what I’m about to do anyway.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • FreespiritFreespirit Member Posts: 131
    @Sara717, I had a similar situation with the 2022 Highlander I purchased. It was factory wired for a 4 pin connection. I was fortunate the dealer where we purchased our TAB installed the Autowbrake controller, which is mounted to the TAB trailer. All I had to do was get a simple 4 pin to seven pin adapter and plug it in. No additional wiring needed. The electric brakes work as designed. 
    2020 TAB 320 U
    TV 2022 Highlander
  • schwartzkischwartzki Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2023
    I went with a RedArc Tow Pro Elite. I was able to install in a blank button in my Tacoma and in a replaceable piece of plastic in my X5. This gives me a wired connection to the braking system and no bulky controller drilled into the dash.
    Another alternative is to use the 3M double sided velcro strips. I used those in the Tacoma initially till I upgraded.
    I like having the trailer brake controller without stretching since if you get trailer sway manually activating the trailer brakes will pull you out of it.

2022 T@B 400 Boondock (7200+ miles)
    2022 - 11 trips - 34 nights
    2023 - 4 trips - 21 nights and counting
    --------------------------------------------------
    2018 BMW X5 xDrive35d (17 mpg towing avg)
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road (10.9 mpg towing avg)
  • techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    Binghi said:
    No way I’m going to all that trouble. I own one of these, and assuming that’s what it takes to make it work correctly, I’ll just trash it. That’s what I’m about to do anyway.

Eh, once you get used to it, it's not all that bad. It only takes me about 15 seconds, max. I only stop every 3 hours or so while on the road, so it's something I do infrequently. I also don't bother resetting it for super-short vehicle movements (e.g. fill up tow vehicle, then move the rig away from the pumps to walk the dogs/visit the facilities/make a purchase) because it doesn't seem to be necessary.
    Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback
  • MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 342
    We have an Onyx XT. We went with the Echo. Yes, each stop we reset the controller. Sometimes we put the paired phone under the seat and leave it alone. The Echo works well. As stated above, follow the directions and make sure you are using "location". I'm sure the other wireless unit works well too.  
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"