Options

E-Bike Rack - Tab Trailer

Telescoping trailer tongue modification accommodates slide-on adapter that accepts e-bike rack for the trailer tongue.  Also holds clip on motorcycle rack when bike rack not in use.  Trailer tongue slides back in to original trailer tongue length when racks are not in use. Original trailer tongue hand crank stand was replaced by a fold down, fold up version not visible in pictures. 

See 'Motorcycle Rack - Tab Trailer' for motorcycle example of this system.

Hope these ideas are helpful to someone!

Comments

• Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,293
    Is this a commercially available tongue modification or custom? What was the cost?
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Not sure the stock TaB trailer tongue is rated for too much additional weight?
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    For some reason I think the front frame is rated for 700#.  Someone needs to check the label on the frame.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    @Sharon_is_SAM, our 2020 320S is labeled with a 700 pound tongue weight rating. Like @Denny16, I'd question this mods engineering and I commented on it in @Bill_F's other post with a motorcycle on the tongue. This mod may be fine, but there are stress points on the frame that it puts extra load on. Curious what research and testing was done?

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    A word of caution - Last summer I was towing my 400 with a Ford Ranger when the trailer began to sway.  This took place while passing a large motor home on a windy day - I may have been going at 65mph while passing.  It was not a good feeling but, thankfully, the truck's electronic sway control kicked in and helped me correct the matter.  A member of this forum asked me what length hitch ball mount I was using.  It turned out the be 11" from pin to ball.  I was not aware that the extra inches could increase the possibility of sway.  I quickly replaced it with a 4" ball mount.  
    As your setup has a large extension, take caution. Also check your car/TV rated max tongue rate.  The extra weight could reduce traction on your front wheels with would reduce steering control.
    It looks like a lot of work went into your rack setup and the work appears to be done with a high level of craftsmanship.  I am just pointing out the need for extra caution - but you probably already know that.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY
  • Options
    @Gherzig, this is a tongue extension, not a hitch extension. It can actually reduce sway and tongue weight. The question is if the frame design can handle the stress put on it when using the extension to add weight to the tongue portion of the frame.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    GherzigGherzig Member Posts: 99
    Thank you.  I should have looked more closely before commenting.
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
           Oneonta, NY