Battery Access/Boondock 400 Battery Cover

Anyone have a good idea how to occasionally check the water level given the ridiculously clumsy access to the batteries in my 2019 400? I’ve just removed the old (original) batteries and replaced with 2 Interstate 6 v. After going through the incredibly difficult maneuvers required to remove the old batteries, I realized I would have to do most of that again to check water levels. Did I screw up buying the Interstate batteries? Does that cover have to be screwed down? I had to remove the platform of the bed to access the damn things! Anyone have a better idea?

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    The 400 battery location really requires a maintenance free battery like an AGM or lithium.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    Yes you need to screw the cover down for AGM or lead acid batteries so that hydrogen gas does not enter the cabin during charging.  Don't want that accumulating below the bed given all the electrical equipment down there.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I'm in agreement with @Horigan. Screw down the batteries' cover so that they can vent to the outside.  I don't think you're going to have a problem. Check once during the hottest part of the season and at the end of the season. Yes, its a pain.
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• oneokieoneokie Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the assistance. I returned the flooded cell batteries and got the AGMs. Reinstall was not as difficult as I had built it up to be! However, new question: my VictronConnect controller can no longer “find” my device. Anyone know why?
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    edited March 2023
    The controller is powered from the battery, so it needs to be wired correctly.  If you know where the controller is, you can easily see if the controller has power by checking out the LED's on the front of the controller. No LED, no power.
    There are also fuses at the positive battery terminal for the battery and the solar.  Check the fuse there, too.
     If your LED's are lit, the fuse will probably be good, but the way to prove to yourself the controller is working to charge your battery is with a multimeter or another device.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    Last night - whil  re the solar system was inactive - I was able to get my iPhone to connect with the VictronConnect. However, I could not pair it with the 000000 code. I am getting the message that I must enter the code on the smart solar unit. I’m assuming the code is on the back and I have to remove it to get the code?
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Correct, the controller should be in the Alde compartment mounted to the front divider between the Alde and wardrobe locker (or 3-way fridge option). The code is in the back of the controller.  This is easily accesssed pcompared to later models, where the controller was under the locker/3-way fridge unit.
    Cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Thanks Denny16! Should be the last step in switching out the old batteries….