Options

Sherline scale or Deco Load Checker to weigh trailers?

YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
edited March 2023 in Trailer & Towing
I am considering buying a Sherline tongue weight scale (2,000 lb. capacity)  to really start paying attention to my 320S weight distribution. No issues, I'm sure, using it as directed to measure tongue weight, but I'd also like to use it to measure weight at each axle end. My guess is I need to weigh at the welded steel jacking angles.  Go ahead and laugh now- would it work to set/ block the scale in place and lower the trailer onto the scale by letting air out of the tires? My "emergency" jacking system is a pain to set up and use. Any hope for getting an accurate reading? Any worry for hurting the tires? I think my tongue weight is around 8 percent- and I have been towing without issue for approaching 3 years. 
Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT

Comments

• Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 372
    edited March 2023
    Hi, 

You can buy the tongue weight scale, but you can also use a bathroom scale and some wood (and a bit of     :o  math ).   I've used this method and got 360 lbs for my tongue weight.  I bought a scale at Target and just keep it for use to occasionally measure tongue weight if I makes changes.  Just do it on flat ground, chock your wheels and measure.  The sherline is a bit easier,but either method will work.  Don't think you need to let any air out of the tires.  Why do you think you need to do that?  I just unhitched on top of the scale (w/o jockey wheel).  The video says 5' , but I used 3' and multiplied by 3 vs. 5.

How To Measure Any Trailer Tongue Weight With A Regular Bathroom Scale - YouTube
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    Yoshi_TAB said:
    Hi, 

You can buy the tongue weight scale, but you can also use a bathroom scale and some wood (and a bit of     :o  math ).   I've used this method and got 360 lbs for my tongue weight.  I bought a scale at Target and just keep it for use to occasionally measure tongue weight if I makes changes.  Just do it on flat ground, chock your wheels and measure.  The sherline is a bit easier,but either method will work.  Don't think you need to let any air out of the tires.  Why do you think you need to do that?  I just unhitched on top of the scale (w/o jockey wheel).  

How To Measure Any Trailer Tongue Weight With A Regular Bathroom Scale - YouTube
    The Sherline doesn't self-jack... I either need to raise the axle, set up scale and lower the jack to load scale... or set up scale with minimum clearance and let out air to load the scale. 
  • Options
    ... I'm looking to measure axle, not tongue weight. I have used a bathroom scale for tongue weight successfully before.. 
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 372
    ... I'm looking to measure axle, not tongue weight. I have used a bathroom scale for tongue weight successfully before.. 

Gotcha,  I missed that..sorry about that.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    Do you really need axle weight at that position? It will be off from actual weight on each tire. The 320 is designed to be quite well-balanced from side-to-side, so you could save the monkey business and just tow over to a CAT scale and get the trailer axle weight, as well as the tow vehicle axle weights.
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 106
    @YanniLazarus This may seem 'out of the box', but something like this will do what you want... DECO Hydraulic Wheel Load Checker, 0-1500 Pounds (speedwaymotors.com) It is designed for checking load on a wheel. It can also be used to check tongue weight. Racers use them at the track when no electronic scales are readily available. It fits under the lip of the wheel and you push down on the lever arm (black bar that inserts into the hole).

2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    edited March 2023
    I think if a few more folks ran their rig across a scale when fully loaded, ready to camp, there would be less folks trying to rationalize TVs with 2000# rating.  Considering that everything that you bring that wasn't delivered with your T@B and TV is added weight, it adds up fast.  
    Our previous RV was a self supported touring tandem bicycle so we don't need much to be quite comfortable.  We think we travel quite light compared to most other T@Bbers we have met.  Last time I checked my stuff,  there was over 600 pounds of added weight.  

Just for example:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4748/how-much-stuff-do-you-carry-in-your-t-b-cargo-weights#latest

I encourage any and all efforts to understand the loads you are subjecting to your TV.

• Options
    RTWCTS said:
    @YanniLazarus This may seem 'out of the box', but something like this will do what you want... DECO Hydraulic Wheel Load Checker, 0-1500 Pounds (speedwaymotors.com) It is designed for checking load on a wheel. It can also be used to check tongue weight. Racers use them at the track when no electronic scales are readily available. It fits under the lip of the wheel and you push down on the lever arm (black bar that inserts into the hole).

That, my dear friend, is perfect... and is the kind of "outside the box" thinking I really admire. Have you ever seen one?  Perfect scale range for a T@B!
  • Options
    @YanniLazarus The last one I saw was in my shop earlier today. ;)
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
  • Options
    Wow. What do you do? Where is your shop? Will you be my friend?  :)
  • Options
    I'm going to call them on Monday to see if the side pin projection will clear the slope of my wheels (3ish inches), and ask them if they're concerned about my fancy alloy wheels. This might just be my chance to become the new England center for T@B weigh-ins! Thanks again,  @RTWCTS
  • Options
    @YanniLazarus Here is a pic of the device in my 400 Boondock tire. It is not actually in use here, just a pic for you to get an idea. Enjoy collecting and analyzing the data (you're my kind of person)!

2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
  • Options
    Okay. Any T@Ber driving past Wallingford Connecticut is welcome to stop by for a complimentary weigh- in! 
  • Options
    Just a heads- up for anyone getting ready to make the Deco Load Checker purchase. First reaction- it is a well made tool. Second reaction- it is just a tad too big to fit my non-boondock wheels.  Third reaction- the manufacturer is very helpful and mod- friendly, since they live in the race car world. I've got some cutting to do. Will keep you posted.