Options

Sanitizing 2015 320 Boondock

Just when I thought I got it, I'm stymied with sanitizing.  I emptied and blew out all water last fall.  Now I am trying to sanitize.  I checked and the drain valve under the front step is closed. I lifted the yellow Alde valve to the perpendicular position to keep chlorine out of there, closed the cold and hot water valves.  I lifted the front of the T@B up to help water go in. I used a safety siphon and a 3 gallon water jug, four times, to fill the fresh water tank. (I added 1/4 cup of fresh chlorine to the water first). I turned on the pump to pull chlorinated water through the cold and hot water faucets individually. Low flow, but water did come out. BUT then I found water draining under the T@B from the drivers side rear, maybe from the Alde overflow.  Quite a lot of water.  I checked the valves which were all still as I described.    I don't think I'm supposed to open the Alde yellow valve, because there is chlorine in the water, but I can't figure out what I've done wrong.  Help. & Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ParlandoParlando Member Posts: 123
    Also, I forgot to mention, when I turned on the pump to run water through the faucets, the water draining from under the T@B increased in flow rate.
  • Options

Here is how I have my valves positioned.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,696
    edited May 2023
    I think you might have confused the valves here that actually prevent the Alde from getting anything into the tank at all.
    Your Alde drain valve is doing just what it is supposed to do: draining the water going into ( and then out) of the Alde tank. 
    To keep water from flowing into the tank: find those two valves on the Red and Blue pipes going vertically in your photo. (Not the "Cold Water Drain Off".......the one just to the left of that one). 
    Those two valves are the ones that prevent anything going in and out of the Alde during winterizing or sanitizing.
    To allow the sanitizing (or the antifreeze during winterizing) to flow throughout the plumbing when the Alde is isolated, the valve right in the middle of your photo, the "Bypass" valve, needs to be open.

Here is a picture of my 2017 valves.  Same as yours, with my labels. Number 2 ( I called it hot water shut off) and Number 4 (Cold water shut off) need to be closed.  Number 3 (Alde Bypass) needs to be open.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745 Thank you.  So, when I'm sanitizing the #1 Alde drain valve is in the open (horizontal) position?  I'll study this in the morning and try again.
  • Options
    The Yellow valve is for draining the tank, and a pressure relief valve.  I've honestly never tried sanitizing with the valve open.  After I drain the Alde tank, and drain the other lines with the hot and cold drains, I close the drains back up.  Seems to me the hot and cold shut off valves (2 and 4 in my photo) should prevent anything from going into the Alde tank at all.  I'm willing to bet it doesn't make any difference. 
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    I've search the T@B Forum pretty extensively for a diagram and instructions for winter draining (and later) sanitizing the 2015 320 Boondock, and so far I haven't found it. I'm feeling a bit dense, but are there specific instructions for this year and model? We don't have a bathroom in ours either, although I'm comfortable ignoring that part of the instructions.
  • Options
    I think this is my process: 

Drain the tank by raising to vertical the Alde drain valve #1 in pthomas' diagram, opening  #5 & #6 and front of tank drain valve.  Raise and lower T@B to completely empty tank.

Sanitize the tank by opening (making horizontal) #1, then closing #5, & #6.  Then close #2 & #4 the cold and & hot water shut off.  Fill with 1/4 cup of chlorine mixed in the water to fill. Wait 4 hours.

Rinse the tank by draining the chlorinated water, Open #5 & #6 and front of tank drain valve, & pumping water through faucets & shower.  When finished, All Valves are Open except #3 the Alde Bypass Valve.

Does that sound right?  By the way, what is the #3 Alde Bypass Valve do and when is it ever used?

• Options
    @Parlando, your plumbing picture is identical to my 2017, which has a shower, etc.  The "Winterizing Manuals" section of the Forum would have the instructions and pictures, etc for your trailer with the Alde.

Your rundown is almost complete! Your "Drain the Tank" is fine. You then close the drains: 1, 5 and 6.  Then you close 2 and 4. 

You add your sanitizing solution to the tank.  The next step would be to run that solution up into the plumbing lines and faucets to clean them a bit, too.  This is where the "bypass" comes in.  When 2 and 4 are closed, water cannot flow around the trailer back to the faucets.  The bypass valve lets the water in the trailer skip going through the Alde, and it makes a short trip back to the shower and kitchen faucets.
    So, add to your "Sanitize" section "Open #3".

Here is the section of the Forums for "Winterizing Manuals".  Winterizing 101 covers your year of trailer.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,472
    edited May 2023
    @Parlando, Alde recommends NOT running bleach through the Alde hot water tank--that is why there is a bypass valve (#3). If you CLOSE valves #2 and #4, and OPEN #3, your bleach solution will run through all of your plumbing except for the Alde HW tank. (Note that in this configuration the position of the yellow Alde drain valve (#1) is irrelevant.)
    There are lots of resources here. The 2016 manuals should also be applicable to your 2015. For sanitizing you want to have your valves set to "winterizing" mode as indicated in the Winterizing 101 manual.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,521
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @pthomas745 and @ScottG thanks for your help. Finally figuring it out.  I'm afraid I may have run bleach water through the Alde in the past, but also emptied it and ran fresh water in and out.  Hopefully I haven't damaged anything.  I appreciate all the help on this forum.  It is truly appreciated.

• Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM Thanks.  I don't have a Nautilus. I have the old 320 Boondock 2015 trailer.  But starting to figure this one out.  thanks again.
  • Options
    sequimitesequimite Member Posts: 55
    I did not know that Alde recommends keeping the chlorine out of the boiler. Since I didn't know the history of my trailer (2016, third owner), I let the chlorine sit in the hot water tank for about 24 hours. I don't plan to do that again, but hope I didn't wreck anything.
    2016 T@B 320 M@X S "Annie", 3rd Owner
    2015 Little Guy 5-Wide Platform
    2015 MB GLK 250 (diesel) Tow Vehicle, "Benzie"
    Sequim, WA USA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,521
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,472
    edited May 2023
    @Parlando and @sequimite, I wouldn't loose too much sleep over getting bleach in the Alde. Supposedly it can have some adverse effect on stainless steel, but it seems bleach is used on stainless in plenty of places (hospitals, kitchens, etc.) a that equipment doesn't fall apart, so who knows?
    Not only did I do the same thing the first time I sanitized, I really bombed it with bleach because I misinterpreted the manual's ambiguous instructions regarding how much bleach to use. I think it took a month of camping before the bleach smell finally dissipated completely! Bottom line is that my Alde continues to work fine for nine years and counting.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    sequimitesequimite Member Posts: 55
    Phew! Yes, the manual is ambiguous. It could easily be interpreted as 1/4 cup per gallon, rather than 1/4 cup per 15 gallons.
    2016 T@B 320 M@X S "Annie", 3rd Owner
    2015 Little Guy 5-Wide Platform
    2015 MB GLK 250 (diesel) Tow Vehicle, "Benzie"
    Sequim, WA USA
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It is great to have such an informed, curious, and helpful community.