Options

Getting hot water while boondocking

I found the manual to be confusing. Says you don't have to do anything? I assume I must use my propane? I opened my tank and clicked the flame to on on the Alde control screen to gas, and I moved the hot water heating to the middle position (half gray/half black). I did that about 15 minutes before my shower. It was cold?? What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595
    Change 15-minutes to 60-minutes for a nice hot/warm not cold shower.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    stmur7stmur7 Member Posts: 21
    Ok, so I needed to have it on longer before the shower. That is manageable.😃 I thought I had read it was pretty instant.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    What year and model of trailer?  If the trailer is new,some other adjustments might need to be made.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Yeah, I'm wondering if there is something else that needs to be set or adjusted. Even 15 minutes of heating with propane should have increased the water temp noticeably. Did you check to see if the propane burner had actually ignited and was running for all that time?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2023
    When boondocking it has to be on gas. Look at your ALDE service screen and monitor the water temperature in the ALDE boiler. The water temp should start increasing on the screen fairly quickly. That tells you the ALDE boiler is working and doing it's part. Only other thing I can think of is that hot water valve is closed preventing the hot water from getting to the shower/faucet. It happens to best of us when we're de-winterizing and forget things. And of course, if the water pump isn't turned on the water (both cold and hot) wouldn't be pumping through the pipes.  Hope this helps. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @pthomas745 - @stmur7 has a 2022 400 (info from previous post).  I agree with Muttonchops - give it more time.  Especially starting with very cold water or very cold ambient temps.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes, 2022 400. Right now I assume I need to give it more time. I also didn't know I could see the hot water temp on the Alde console screen. I will look for this.The gas was working. I am confused about this hot water valve. Under the bed there are two valves with little yellow levers. I assume one is cold water in and other hot out. Not sure when I will use these? Also, it says if not used for 10 days, release a valve to get an air pocket in hot water tank. No idea where this valve is either. I'm such a newbie!!!
  • Options
    As far as I can see, I am not shown the temp of the water in the heater. Is this an extra?
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595
    @stmur7 ;
    See the Glycol and Hot Water Temperature on the Settings / Service Screen
    Access per figure A.    Data shown in figure B.

Very worthwhile to read the Alde User manual, lots of interesting Display Panel information.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,659
    The Famous Yellow Flapper valves: are drain valves for the Alde "main" tank, and for the Alde "Flow" tank. The one for the Alde Hot Water tank is also the "pressure relief" valve for the entire plumbing system.  The valves will be opened whenever you are trying to drain all the water from the trailer.  The "pressure relief" valve will also open, automatically, when you use the city water connection and forget to use a water pressure regulator on the hose.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited May 2023
    @stmur7, in response to your question about creating an air cushion in the Alde tank, you need to open the yellow flapper(s) (i.e., "Safety/Drain Valve") for about 10 seconds every 10 days, or less, to relieve pressure from the tank and create an air cushion.  The air cushion is required to allow heated water in the tank to expand.  Without the air cushion, the water in a full Alde hot water tank may create excessive pressure.

Remember this simple task as "10 in 10."  Open the yellow flapper (flip up) for 10 seconds to allow the tank to drain some water and then flip the lever back down.  

NOTE:  Although the Alde manual also states that you should drain the tank every 10 days to ensure that a new air cushion is created, I see no need/value in doing that if you are regularly creating an air cushion/expansion space every 10 days.

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Also, you can put the shower control all the way to the right to get a full dark arrow, which will heat the water tank quicker, and give you more hot water for your shower, as the Alde Flo tank is also heated, extending the amount of hot water for showers.  This setting is on a timer and goes back to the middle half arrow after about 45-60 min.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options