Options

Ultimate Toys vs T@B CS-S?

Hello all, we're new to trailer camping and looking at picking up a T@B CS-S BD and it seems just about perfect for our needs. In researching options I came across the Ultimate Toys teardrop and the extra foot of width seems attractive. Wondering what the collective wisdom is about these UT trailers relative to their T@B counterparts in terms of build quality, features, and infrastructure.

I understand the UTs don't have the ALDE system, and wondering what the UTs have and how it compares in durability and ease of use. 

I don't see mention of a solar system in the UT spec sheets I'm seeing, but the ones we're seeing on the Apache lots in the PNW seem to have solar. Wondering if the electrical systems, battery controllers, etc. are shared or different. 

Any other notable differences other than the width & the weight? 

Any folks out there have experience with both and willing to share their wisdom with a newbie? TV is a 2016 Volvo XC60 3.0 with factory tow package. 3500 lb. GVWR and 350 lb. hitch weight rating. I reckon it'll tow either without drama. 

We're lucky enough to be in Seattle so can get to different Apache Camping Center locations to look at both kinds. 

Many thanks from the PNW!
2023 T@B 320 CS-S | 2016 XC60 T6 3.0 AWD | PNW

Comments

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    After having 2two 320 T@B,S I don't think to much of the Alde system because of its maintenance! I have looked into the toy hauler and like what I am reading. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,493
    edited May 2023
    Agree with @gulfarea, it’s not a popular opinion around here, but the Alde to me is the biggest pain point on my Tab. The maintenance is expensive, and for many people like myself, it’s not a DIY project. Maintenance on a traditional RV furnace is pretty simple by comparison.

Yes, when it works, it is a relatively good performer (very slow to heat in colder weather, which is a drawback unless you have a trailer model that includes a CoolCat A/C with its heat pump for supplemental heat). The biggest pro for the Alde is how quiet it is. But to me, that’s not enough to make up for having to spend several hundred dollars at the dealer every two years for maintenance, or even more should something on that overly complex system go wrong. And with Apache, you can anticipate a 6-8 week wait just to drop the trailer off for those appointments, plus 1-2 weeks of leaving it there. Plan accordingly.

Plus, heaven forbid it fails on the road. Mobile RV techs generally can’t assist with it, and unlike traditional furnaces or the most common Truma products, they don’t stock parts. The good news is, we do have quite a few people here on the forum who can help triage any issues. 

But for me, never again. I’ve had my eye on some used Roadtrek class B’s at halfway decent asking prices and walked away because of the Alde…and ONLY because of the Alde.

As far as the UT versus the CS-S, I think if I were looking for a clamshell, I’d absolutely go with the UT for the extra space. Every inch counts when dealing with such tiny rigs. From what UT owners have reported, the model seems to be on the same level quality-wise as anything else built by nuCamp.

2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited May 2023
    Hello all, we're new to trailer camping and looking at picking up a T@B CS-S BD and it seems just about perfect for our needs. In researching options I came across the Ultimate Toys teardrop and the extra foot of width seems attractive. Wondering what the collective wisdom is about these UT trailers relative to their T@B counterparts in terms of build quality, features, and infrastructure.

I understand the UTs don't have the ALDE system, and wondering what the UTs have and how it compares in durability and ease of use. 

I don't see mention of a solar system in the UT spec sheets I'm seeing, but the ones we're seeing on the Apache lots in the PNW seem to have solar. Wondering if the electrical systems, battery controllers, etc. are shared or different. 

Any other notable differences other than the width & the weight? 

I think that the main difference is the kitchen setup. I'm a bit skeptical about the redundant layout but I can see how it would be cool if you use the camper for things like tailgating and music festivals. I have an older CS-S that came with an outside TV and I eventually took it out as I found it annoying (always worried about smashing the TV screen with things on the counter when I closed up for the evening). 

I think that with the UT you're giving up a lot of storage room for clothing and personal gear because there's both a fridge (inside) and a cooler (outside) and a stove (inside) and grill (outside). One of the main selling points of the CS-S is the storage space available inside thanks to the dresser up front.  The wider body would make wheel-to-wheel sleeping a LOT more comfortable in the UT, though.

My older CS-S doesn't have the Alde system, and I would be so much happier if it did. I know people complain about the maintenance, but I mostly camp without hookups and since I don't have the Alde I don't have hot water. It looks like the UT has a 120v (not propane) water heater ("Bosch 2.5 Gal. Water Heater"). 

My guess is the basic electrical system is the same.

Everyone uses their camper differently. I think you should think about how you plan to use your camper and pick the one that best suits your needs.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    For us the CSS is the ultimate. We haven't had an issue with the Alde.  We refreshed our Century fluid at home. Inspection of the hoses and connections have surfaced no problems.  As recent tent campers any heat is good heat and we can fire up the Alde while outside so we don't have long to wait for it to warm up the space.  Both of us are 5'-8" or shorter so don't need anything wider.  I can take or leave the rear galley TV but have enjoyed it on occasion. We'd never trade the interior drawer space for a seldom used inside galley. We're happy as clams with our CSS.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    FreewheelinFranklinFreewheelinFranklin Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for all the great info, everyone.

We went and looked at both, as well as a couple of 320 S trailers, and ended up purchasing the CS-S. We didn't feel we needed the extra space of the UT, and the second kitchen wasn't a plus for us. The UT does have only a 120v Bosch water heater, so as Marceline mentioned you need to be on shore power to get hot water. We figure on boondocking much of the time so that was a plus for the T@B. And we don't really need one teevee so a second one out back was over-overkill. 

I'm 5'11" and I'm a snug fit lying wheel-to-wheel in the CS-S but it was comfortable, and we felt it was plenty spacious for the two of us and our corgi. 

Looking forward to getting it out into the woods!
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @FreewheelinFranklin welcome to the forum and congratulations on your trailer.  Post a pic when you get your rig. We love pics here. Happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Thanks for all the great info, everyone.

We went and looked at both, as well as a couple of 320 S trailers, and ended up purchasing the CS-S. We didn't feel we needed the extra space of the UT, and the second kitchen wasn't a plus for us. The UT does have only a 120v Bosch water heater, so as Marceline mentioned you need to be on shore power to get hot water. We figure on boondocking much of the time so that was a plus for the T@B. And we don't really need one teevee so a second one out back was over-overkill. 

I'm 5'11" and I'm a snug fit lying wheel-to-wheel in the CS-S but it was comfortable, and we felt it was plenty spacious for the two of us and our corgi. 

Looking forward to getting it out into the woods!
    Congratulations! Welcome to the clamshell club. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    Congrats @FreewheelinFranklin !
    Beautiful trailer and excellent work on your mods @rfuss928 !
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    FreewheelinFranklinFreewheelinFranklin Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the detailed description, @rfuss928. Hearing from someone who's had experience across the range of years is really valuable. I'd seen your rear peninsula table mod and plan on shamelessly stealing that idea for our CS-S! 

We're picking ours up Friday and will post some pictures once we get it home, and out in the woods! 
  • Options
    jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 135
    I have had our UT for almost a year now and absolutely love it!!!  the extra width is fabulous particularly being 6'2"!  WE love having two kitchens... the grill in back is a treat while making sauces in front.  Solar is the same 110w of the tab 320's.  Propane furnace is wonderful.  The ONLY downside of not having the Alde is no hot water without 110v.  I have found that it keeps warm for a day or more in the tank for doing dishes.  Any warranty issues are taken care of by nucamp...  EVERYONE wants a tour inside!
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California
  • Options
    jbajorjbajor Member Posts: 135
    BTW, my TV is a Volvo XC40...  It tows wonderfully.  I recently added the Polestar upgrade and the extra torque and redistributed shift points make it even better!
    Ultimate Toys Teardrop Camper
    Volvo XC-40
    SF Bay Area, California