Portable grills

Comments

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited November 2019
    We love our Weber Q1000, and got an adapter hose in case we want to use a larger propane bottle.  With its cast aluminum body & plastic frame, there is virtually nothing to rust. Disposable aluminum drip pan underneath & porcelain enameled cast iron grates for even heating & nice grill marks.  We have the larger standup version for home use on our deck.  A wood fire is great, but we don't always want to make one.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,395
    +1 for the Q. We run ours right off the T@B's 20lb tank. Last year we added the optional griddle which really increased its versatility. You can even bake with it as discussed in one of the most popular threads in the history of the forum!

Charcoal and hardwood are great, and use a lot at home, but it's just more stuff and more mess to deal with when camping. YMMV!
    2015 T@B S
  • LojocamperLojocamper Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2018
    We like the taste of coal over propane. I also like to Dutch oven cook when I have the time and luxury. Since we are taking charcoal anyway (for the DO), we take our Weber Smokey joe. Goes in TV in a crate. I really like the space saving notebook charcoal grills y’all have shared - another item for my wish list!
    BreakingAw@y
    Silver/black 2018 T@B 320 CS-S, Outback axle, AT tires
    2012 Dodge Ram Hemi - CO

My Visited North America Map
    Adventures: 7
    States: 21
    Provinces: 5

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @BrianZ, we have the Weber q 2000. Use it for almost everything. Love it. We hook-up to a separate 20# tank. May sound like overkill,  but there are 4 of us and the boys(12 & 13 in 6 weeks) are virtual eating machines.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    Our Q model didn't include the side flip-out trays, but you can see the mounting holes for them in my photo.  We didn't think we'd needed them, but we could add them if we ever feel the need.  Thanks for reminding me about the griddle half, @ScottG, I may want to get that for pancakes.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    We started with the Webber Q 1200.  We like it, but it required a large plastic tote that takes up a lot of room in the van.  So, we bought a Coleman Fold N Go.  So compact, like a small laptop, easier to clean and does the job.  The Q stays home now.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    +1 on the Coleman Fold N Go, although I find myself using my butane stove frequently because it so simple. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    We have a butane burner also.  We replaced it with a lower BTU model as the first one was way too hot and apparently not able to down regulate.  I think we have all the cooking temps covered now - grill, burner, Tab stove!
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Not leavin' to go campin' without my new Pit Barrel Jr. Charcoal all the way! I can use it as a grill, or hang meat in it for a larger croud. Have yet to cook anything on it that didn't come out tastin' great! ( just ask all the happy faces that came to Lincoln Rock this year!) =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @SAM glad you like it! I love how light it is and compact. Thank you to @Verna for suggesting it. I'm camping again next week so will try something other than hot dogs maybe?!  =)
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

@dsfdogs, Brats???? Don't forget the hot mustard! =)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @dsfdogs, try aluminum foil meals. Be sure to use a spray oil, butter or oil on the aluminum before adding food.

Shrimp, turkey sausage slices, small corn on the cob, cut up red potatoes, cajun seasoning and other seasonings of your choice. I normally put the foil packets in a “ Holey” grilling pan so I can easily turn the foil pack while cooking. It is a delicious meal any time of the year. Amazon or Camping World has a small cookbook of different foil meals. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Eric, aka Mr. Pit Barrel, I put on weight just reading about your grilling adventures!  Have you grilled any veggies?
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @SAM, what are these "veggies" you speak of? LOL.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    edited November 2019
    I just replaced the old pressure gauge with one that has a Y-connector, and also got a 12-ft hose for it which has a 1-lb. adapter at the end for connecting our Weber Q-1000 grill. 
    A secondary benefit is that it straightened out the hose going to the T@B's regulator, so the hose no longer interferes with removing the battery cover.

@Ratkity, hahahaha.  Even the paleo and keto diets that are all the rage have some veggies!
    @SAM, To answer your "veggie" question, the answer is YES. The pit barrel also comes with a grill. I cook the veggies much in the same manner as @Verna described above. Potatoes, I just wrap in foil & put directly on the coals. I have a long set of fireplace tongs that I use for gathering such items out of the Pit Barrel & they work AWESOME for flipping logs on a campfire. Try this some time: Squash, zucchini, onion, crumbles of bacon, quartered potatoes, mixed with cut-up chicken breast. Wrap in foil with salt, lemon pepper, garlic (cloves, or powder both work), and butter. it takes maybe 30 to 45 minutes to cook, and comes out AWESOME. Just make sure you cut the potatoes ( I usually use the small red ones), and the chicken in small enough portions to cook at close to the same rate as the rest of the ingredients. I've also done fresh Rainbow trout in a similar fashion, but you have to take care not to over-cook the fish. Just add fresh lemon to the mix, don't be afraid to add a little lemon peal also, really brings out a good flavor to the fish. ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• DINDAnLANDINDAnLAN Member Posts: 75
    @ericnliz, that sounds great but now I'm hungry!
    Linda & Dan
    Cleveland, Ohio
    2018 Ford F150 XLT pulling a 2020 T@B 400
    LIFE IS GOOD!
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    X2
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @ericnliz, feeling left out here. Hope the wanderlust strikes and you come for a visit. Would love a lesson from such a pitmaster!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    @ericnliz, that sounds like a good, easy meal.  I am saving your recipe!
    edited May 2018
    Oh, I have more recipies! You haven't lived until you have either prime rib, tri-tip, whole chicken, or even a turkey while you're campin'. My campin' partner of over 20 years was a cook on a crab boat & we come up with some pretty interesting ideas. Once you start cookin' like this though, you have to be REALLY careful because it usually attracts a crowd! :o=):fearful::rofl:
    For the above recipe, you can substitute pork for the chicken & it also works well! 
    Spokane, Wa.

Question on the 1 lb propane bottles...I'm using it with the Coleman Fold n Go. I've only had two bottles and both leak, meaning the seal won't re-seat once I remove the regulator. Sometimes the gas leaks for a while and will eventually stop, but any slight movement and it starts up again. I could keep the regulator attached in the off position, but it's awkward for storage/travel. I called Coleman and the tanks are manufactured for them by Worthington. I talked to someone there and they claim this isn't normal/common and I should take it back for exchange. Has anyone else had problems with these tanks and did you resolve it? The guy at Worthington also suggested using a pin to try and reseat the valve. I've also seen brass screw on caps with a seal for these bottles, but seems if the bottle is actively leaking, is screwing a cap on it safe? Thanks for any insight.
    Debbie in Oregon

edited October 2018
    Interestingly enough, I had this happen to me recently. However, it was a very old bottle (as in over 30 years). Otherwise, I've never experienced a leak from a 1lb bottle. It makes me suspicious that your Fold n Go might be somehow boogering up the bottle valve when you screw it on, but I'm just guessing here.
    In a pinch, I wouldn't hesitate to use a brass cap so long as it sealed up tightly. It certainly wouldn't be any worse than leaving your bottle hooked up to your grill and relying on the grill valve to stop the flow.
    2015 T@B S
    I'm curious if anyone else using the Fold n Go has had issues?
    This is my first experience with small canisters.
    Thanks @ScottG for your post. I too wonder if the process of unscrewing the regulator doesn't allow it to seat.

At the suggestion of the guy from Worthington to use a pin or paperclip to poke the valve, I gave it a go, not at all sure how it worked. I unfolded a paperclip and poked at the stem, nothing (propane still pfssing out). Then I  used the paperclip point to press down on the stem and PFFSSSTTT and a large amount of propane came out! It startled (scared) me enough the paperclip was no longer pressing the pin and the canister sealed! Ha! I'm glad the canister was pointed away from me and no open flames present. The canister is still outside, but even jiggling doesn't loosen the seal. I will still get those brass screw on caps with seals inside, just to be safe.
    Debbie in Oregon

We have not had any problems with the Fold N Go or tanks.  DH says get a third tank and if it still leaks, he votes that the regulator may be damaging the tank seals.
    edited October 2018
    Glad the poking trick worked. I tried that to no avail with my ancient canister, and ended up just leaving my torch on it with the valve closed. That worked fine, so I expect the caps would be even better.
    Post a source of the caps when/if you find them. No that I know something like that exists I might pick up a few myself just in case!
    2015 T@B S
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Our Fold and Go never seemed to get really hot and it is almost new.  I used it once.  I would probably fool around with it more, but my wife came home with a Q1000, so I'll probably bring it to the NuCamp swap meet....
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @TerryV6 search “Baking With the Q” on this forum for great ideas and how to’s bake on your grill. It opens up a whole new world! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Yes Homebodyatheart, I think it will be another option for the trips, after 44 years of campfires I don’t need them for a good time.   (Except for the marshmallows...grin)
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI