Options

Lagun Table -- how to install

Comments

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Thanks for the information, temperatures are going to be in mid 40's for the next week, here in NE Wisconsin, will try to get over to the storage unit and install it.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    jdargis said:
    Thanks for the information, temperatures are going to be in mid 40's for the next week, here in NE Wisconsin, will try to get over to the storage unit and install it.
    If your T@B is outside, turn the Alde on using propane.  That's how I've been working on mine in the driveway, except I've been using electricity.  Don't keep your cover on if using the Alde so it can exhaust any fumes. Open the roof vent, too. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Another tip and something I plan to do is just to lower the table down on the Lagun pedestal and just let it sit on top of the bench seat during travel.  I'll also place my moving blanket on top of the rear bench seat (let the table top sit on it) to protect the material on the seat from any movement and vibration.  I was previously planning to remove the table top from the pedestal but believe this should do the trick.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Has anyone actually installed the Lagun table base on the driver's side of their TAB?  If so, let me know.  Mine just arrived and I would love to get any ideas before I start this project.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    OutbackAZ - There's been talk of putting it ther (I will eventually) but haven't seen anyone do it yet - Looks like you'll have to lead the way :-)
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Question how do you install an outside bracket towards the rear door side of a T&B by the 110 outlet? i would think it should have a backing plate?
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My suggestion, would be to build a "box" of 2x4's, with the legs long enough to form a "bridge" over the wiring and piping on the floor. You'll have to secure the top 2x4 to the side of the framework for the seat, and attach the 2x4 to the framework of the seat that is attached to the wall. There will not be any place to attach the rear of the bridge next to the wheel well, so you may need to put 1x2 braces at an angle, screwed to the structure of the front of the seat and to the rear leg. If you don't understand, I can draw a crude picture (sorry, "girls" weren't allowed to take drafting classes when I went to school) to explain. I could also help you next month st lake pleasant, if you wish. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks PXL - I was hoping one of the talented forum members had already done one. Oh well. I have bailing wire, JB Weld, Gorilla Glue and Duct Tape at the ready.  Here goes . . .
  • Options
    OutbackAZ - We expect pics ;-)
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Here's mine and I love it! It's a stainless cabinet door from Ikea 20" X 30".  The bottom of the door is wood. We attached adhesive tape and screws. The side bench cushion doesn't stick out as far as the back one so no plate backing needed. We added a backing board inside bench for support. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options

Yea - finally a driver's side installation (and a good one at that)!  I'm putting mine between the 110v outlet and the propane/CO detector so I can sit on the driver's side cushion aft of the table brace.  Does just the backing plate give it enough support?  I'm putting a brace from the backing plate to the outside wall for added rigidity (just a 1x2 with L brackets).  NICE looking table top Cbarnhill!!  How much does it weigh?

• Options
    It feels pretty sturdy to me. The table is actually 18x30 and weighs 13 lbs. I wanted it in the center so it could be used as a table by all benches (I can still sit beside it on the bench where it is installed) and raised as a counter space while in the kitchen. I love all the options the ratchet handles offers but wish it would lay flat on the cushion while traveling but the first pic is as low as it goes. 
  • Options
    At least the ratchet handles allow you to lock the table in place for traveling.  No more lugging a table in and out of the trailer!  And the stainless steel top allows you to conduct medical experiments when camping (if one is so inclined).   
  • Options
    So true. You're scaring me-I hope I have enough support.
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @cbarnhill, do you use the top as a support between the benches for a bed?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    cbarnhill said:
    So true. You're scaring me-I hope I have enough support.
    You could always beef it up and put something behind the face of the bench (a piece of 1/2" plywood, etc.), buy longer screws and redo it later if you are worried about the structural integrity of just using the face of the bench for support.  I love the pedestal and will no longer have to deal with the larger table that was in my T@B when I purchased it.  
  • Options
    Mr gnome: I travel solo and only use the back bench for my bed.

Mike: we did install a piece of wood inside the bench for support.  I believe it will be ok but I plan on taking the table down while traveling. Thx
  • Options

Loading the photos did not go as planned.  Don't know why this forum rotates some of the photos when posting.  Also don't know how to put the description before the photos.  Oh well.  Start from the bottom photo and work up.

Best location for me is between the 110v outlet and propane/CO detector.  Because of the clearance needed for the ratcheting handle on the right side of the Lagun, you must install the backplate as close to the outlet on the left as possible.

Next photo shows in the interior of where the support wood will go.  Very open and easy access!  What could possibly go wrong?

Photo of a 2x4 board I stripped to 1" to match the factory 1x2 support board in photo #2 at the top.

Next photo (on its side) shows the placement of the stripped 1x4 board.

Next photo up shows the stripped board in place.  Notice I used bolts to hold the Lagun backplate in place instead of the supplied screws.  Also notice the "L" brackets holding the board to the floor (and upper brace out of picture).  The clear gooey stuff is clear Liquid Nails that was applied liberally on the side facing the seating panel and joint.

Next two photos (on their sides) show a 1x2 board I attached to the outside wall from the center of the stripped board.  This provides extra support for the backeplate at the top.  I used a wood file to curve a smooth notch in the wood where the electrical wires exit the grey conduit.  I'm going to put some electrical tape around the wires as an added precaution.

The final photo is the finished bracket on the inside of the cabin.  Perfect location for me.  The Lagun was worth every penny - a very nicely designed and constructed item.  I'll post some photos of the tabletop when its attached.  No need to modify the seat cushion in this location or extend the front Lagun bracket into the cabin with a backer board.

The same installation could be done between the fuse box and 110v outlet, if you were to relocated the negative buse bar (seen in photo #2 on the right with the white wires attached to it).

Notice the neat carpeting?  HomeDepot indoor/outdoor ($24 for a 6'x6' piece).   Cuts easily to fit and best of all - keeps your feet warm!!!

Outback

• Options
    That looks solid. Can't wait to see your table top. 
  • Options
    Here is the table as purchased from HomeDepot with legs still attached (only $16).  18" deep by 26" wide.  The underside has a somewhat honeycomb/corrugated surface, so I need to make a backing plate in order for the screws to match up with the outer corrugated sections.  Unfortunately, the holes in the Lagun table plate do not match up.

• Options
    OutbackAZ - I have that same table from Walmart - only diff is black legs.
  • Options
    I love that table!  So lightweight, easy to set-up and move around.
  • Options
    Yep - Only downside is it's not perfectly flat.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    How wide is the base for the Lagun?  I have an older DM and my clearances are different, so need to find another location for the base.  
  • Options
    Mash2 - You asking about the "base bracket"? If so, according to Verna earlier in the thread - "Approximately 3 1/2" x 6 1/2". Give or take 1/8" or so"
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Duh... thanks, didn't catch the answer.  Back to drawing board for location.
  • Options

Temporarily installed the black plastic tabletop I've been raving about onto the Lagun post last night.  After playing around with it, I've decided to go with a larger top (20" deep x 31" wide).  This way the top will cover the Lagun post when the top is swung out of the way and against the driver side seat back cushion.  It will also provide more table area when in use.  The Lagun is a "must-have" regardless of your top selection.

• Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Mike: Do you think that the table installed in the rear with the all the adjusting locks tightened would be safe to leave up while traveling? Thanks John 
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options

Mash2 - You asking about the "base bracket"? If so, according to Verna earlier in the thread - "Approximately 3 1/2" x 6 1/2". Give or take 1/8" or so"

My bracket is 3 5/8" by 6 3/4".

• Options
    edited December 2015
    John&Kris said:
    Mike: Do you think that the table installed in the rear with the all the adjusting locks tightened would be safe to leave up while traveling? Thanks John 
    John -  For me personally I plan to lower my table (or store it in a safe spot during travel) as I have a 2" offset that the mounting plate is mounted to.  I think it's probably best to either remove the table entirely and store it safely out of the way or lower it to a point (e.g., to the seat cushion) that you are in a safe zone or in a manner that relieves the weight on the face plate.  I know that you can tighten down the adjustment handle on the Lagun pedestal, but with road conditions/movement of things within the trailer and any bounce/jarring created therein I personally wouldn't risk damaging or loosening up the mounting screws and table.  

I go by that old saying, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."  I've had some crazy things happen along the trail in the past and have learned to go above and beyond the call of duty to protect against things like this from happening.  I bought a nice moving blanket on Amazon prime that I can use to wrap up my table top in and protect it during travel.