Options

Arizona Weather = Suckitude

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
edited December 2015 in Camping & Travel
Sorry but Arizona really sucks so far this year - Got here two months earlier than last year and have had nothing but low temps and wind. Right now it's 35 gusting to 50 and the low south of Quartzite is forcast as 28 - Might as well have stayed in MN or SD.

Unbelievable.

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We've had better weather than that up in NYS. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I was sitting in a nice little boondocking site on the Colorado, the wind came up and sandstorm city - Fled to Quartzite yesterday and it literally took two hands and body weight to open the T@B door this afternoon. No sand, all crushed rock here but you literally couldn't see either mountain range (east/west) because of the dust. Crazy.
    Based on my experience so far SW, think I'm gonna can it and head to the gulf coast.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Heading east you'll only be following the bad weather.  Quarzsite area supposed to be nice starting tomorrow.  Sunshine, 54 degrees, 5 mph wind.  I know it's been bad because I've been keeping track since I plan to head that way in January.  Maybe you should wait a day or two before deciding to leave.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    Could be worse, you could be in Alabama.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Dallas and the surrounding areas are being hammered with tornadoes tonight. Watch what you wish for. 

54* right now in Indy. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    And it is 60 here in Rhode Island...whack
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    upper 70's low 80's in NE Florida.  may drop into the upper 60's next week.  so far a bit toastier than normal
    good luck finding a good spot...
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    79 degrees in the Bat Cave...
    Hot and stormy in the Deep South...
    Watch out for tornados and hail...

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    It just depends on who you believe for the long range forecasts....

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Gusts to 50 yesterday now calm at 8:00 this morning.
    Was listening to a couple of weather guys talking about how weather patterns seem to be settling in to a two year cycle - two years below normal followed by two years above. Fits perfectly with the upper midwest pattern - two years ago Mpls had 27 straight days of -10 or below. Then last winter followed by this winter it's been very mild with hardly any snow.
    Last year I was east of the rockies and all the warm weather was west so headed west. This year has been the opposite...

Even though I'd prefer warmer temps, the winds have been a bigger annoyance. Other than the time I was in the BLM by Parker, it's been windy everywhere I've been for two months. Since I've never been SW at this time of the year, is that normal or odd?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    ... it's been windy everywhere I've been for two months.  ... is that normal or odd?
    It is an odd occurrence. From what I understand, it is the results of El Nino. A quick search has a lot info and interesting predictions.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    El Nino has really created a mess and changed things up here in the Midwest.  I've lived in the same location for 26 years now and historically the lake I live on has ice solid enough to ice fish on by December 25.  Thus far the water has been open and no freezing has occurred.  I'm sure this will change but have never seen it this warm continuously since the 70's.  

Crazy weather and via El Nino!  

El Nino (shown below) as of August 2015

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    We got our Outback this week and had planned to go camping over the weekend, but we now have close to 2 feet of snow and it is still coming down!  So don't head east through New Mexico!
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    It appears that the weather is just so unpredictable this year no matter where one is.
  • Options
    maryvanmaryvan Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2015
    Arizona weather is looking up!  Forecasted warmer weather this week.  Watching the Cardinal- Green Bay game today with temps in the low 60s.  No floods, snow or tornadoes in the near future!   Come on down.

Mary Van
    2014 Outback, 2010 SS
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I'll be there, Mary Van!  I'll see you at Coyote Howls, if not sooner.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    El Nino will fall apart by mid January and things will begin to normalize. The atmospheric signals are already in motion and long range weather models are starting to catch Ln to the change. This is very much like winter of 1965-1966. We had 3.1" of snow in Pittsburgh on May 9th that year. Hang in there.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn, the rough part is getting from Van Horn, TX up to El Paso and over to Tuscon. While I'd love to spend time checking out TX, the El Nino weather makes it more unpredictable. Last year I had to rush across TX to miss freezing rain and 21*. I missed the rain, but it sure was cold in Van Horn--just like a wet January snow, without the snow, on my hands. Even with gloves it was hard to connect the power and the cable TV (what else to do at 5 pm in those temps?).  Someone here on the forum got caught for a few days at a truck stop in the freezing rain and ice. 

I have 10 days to get from Mobile to Tucson to babysit the emu. I'll make it. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    PITPATPITPAT Member Posts: 32
    I was planning on leaving Pittsburgh tomorrow morning for Arizona. After watching all the Storm Goliath coverage and checking various weather sites, decided to delay departure till Wed or Thursday. I route my trip I-70 to I-44 to I-40 and as of now I-40 is closed in the Texas panhandle. Do NOT want to be waiting out bad weather in a Walmart parking lot in Amarillo! Later this week looks like sun and clear sailing.
    PXlated, hope the winds die down in Quartzsite cuz that's my destination!
    Patty
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2015 T@B CS-S Maxx  being towed by Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    Y'all be careful and keep an eye on the sky, or the smartphone as the case may be.  This weather is crazy.  I'm stuck at home surrounded by floodwaters right now.  Will probably be a week before I can get out.  Plan to head to AZ in about two weeks if weather permits.

Patty, I was planning to take I-40 as well, but with all the snow in Albuquerque, I may veer a little farther south.  We'll see.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Patty and Larry, I head straight down I-65 and stay a night or two east of Mobile. Then I-10 west, but listening closely to the weather. If I need quicker to beat a storm, I-30 to I-20 to I-10 over to Tucson. I-40 gets too much winter weather for me--personal opinion.  

Hey, Larry, you and Bugger be careful with those flood waters, please. Mother Nature is showing she has the upper hand. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Yes, Verna.  Got plenty of food, so we'll just hang out until it goes down.  Supposed to keep raining until tomorrow night.  Heard on the scanner that a van with kids got washed off the road this afternoon, but apparently they got out OK.  Flood waters be nothing to mess with.  Unbelievable how powerful it is.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Verna and Larry, I sure know what you mean about I-40. Will be watching closely as I approach Oklahoma City...if the TX panhandle is windy or snowing, I plan on dropping south on I-35 and pick up 20 to 10 and come north to Quartzsite from Tucson. Who woulda thunk it!
    Patty
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Options
    Patti, there will likely be some flash freezing in some areas this week, so I am glad to hear you delaying your trip.

The El Nino is notorious for being wet and I think most in the SW are grateful, overall, and the west coast needs the precipitation, desperately. Not great for driving, though. I drove home from Cleveland in heavy rain this afternoon. Ponding was starting to occur on the OH Turnpike in some spots (yuck.) Be careful, everyone!

If you are using one of the newer Uconnect units with the free trial for the infotainment services the weather map and traffic services can be your friend notifying you of trouble ahead.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Patti - Today was relatively calm in Quartzite - Of course after 35-50 yesterday 20 would seem calm. Just a light breeze right now but chilly.
  • Options
    PXLated, thanks for the boots on the ground report :)
    I'm counting on jkjenn's prediction that by mid-January Arizona will return to more normal behavior!
    Patty
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Options
    We missed the snow here in Flagstaff. Looks like New Mexico got it! It is starting to warm up again. Should get out of the 30's. Roads are clear and dry.
  • Options
    Patti - Hope Jenn's right, 27 degrees this morning :-(
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    PXLated said:
    Patti - Hope Jenn's right, 27 degrees this morning :-(
    It will start to flip mid month and should be completely flipped in February. It will still be colder than normal, but the precipitation should normalize and temps be warmer than they have been.

• Options
    Ok, we're counting on your forecast - If you're wrong you owe us all lunch :-)