Options

Help Deciding

I've been debating getting a T@B Outback or gong with a camper for my Tacoma - Four Wheel Camper seems to make the best one for my truck. Plenty of pros and cons for each but the main differences for me is with the T@B I can leave the trailer and go exploring, plus it is not permanently attached and my truck stays a truck. But on the other hand, I plan on camping more off the beaten trail than at campgrounds, and even the Outback option will not let me explore some of the trails I think I'll be on. Both my wife and I are backpackers, a ways off from retiring, but having just moved to the west coast, we want to spend some time exploring the area (CA, OR, WA, UT, NV) and like the idea of not always being in a small tent. Plus we like to travel with our senior 25lb corgi and his days of long hikes are behind him.

Did anyone else have this debate of truck camper (pop-up, so its like and maneuverable) and the T@B?  We visited a great dealer in Ukiah, CA and both of us, especially my wife, loved the T@B. Any thoughts or words of wisdom are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Graton said:
    I've been debating getting a T@B Outback or gong with a camper for my Tacoma - Four Wheel Camper seems to make the best one for my truck. Plenty of pros and cons for each but the main differences for me is with the T@B I can leave the trailer and go exploring, plus it is not permanently attached and my truck stays a truck. But on the other hand, I plan on camping more off the beaten trail than at campgrounds, and even the Outback option will not let me explore some of the trails I think I'll be on. Both my wife and I are backpackers, a ways off from retiring, but having just moved to the west coast, we want to spend some time exploring the area (CA, OR, WA, UT, NV) and like the idea of not always being in a small tent. Plus we like to travel with our senior 25lb corgi and his days of long hikes are behind him.

Did anyone else have this debate of truck camper (pop-up, so its like and maneuverable) and the T@B?  We visited a great dealer in Ukiah, CA and both of us, especially my wife, loved the T@B. Any thoughts or words of wisdom are appreciated.
    I actually debated this myself. In the end, I decided for trails, I could car camp. You could get a tent or hammock for your Taco or even mount a RTT on rails in the bed and have the best of both worlds by using the T@b as your base camp.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    GratonGraton Member Posts: 17
    Thanks jkjenn, that makes sense - was there anything else that swayed you away from a truck camper? I think we are definitely leaning towards the T@B, but need to give the camper another look before we decide.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I chose T@B because I wanted to drop it. Having been out for 17 months I'm glad I did after watching people having to break camp just to go exploring. As Jenn mentioned, get a truck topper and sleep there if you can't make it back to where you're camped or want to hit a rough road.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I was in the market for a truck camper when I bought my Outback. Happened to see an Outback on the dealer's lot. Was impressed by the overall quality of construction, high ground clearance, upswept rear-end and cargo platform. Add to that, a shower, toilet and kitchen, well, I was smitten. It's also convenient to drop the Outback and use you're TV for exploring (can also do with a truck camper). One or the other will eventually "Speak to you." Then you'll know you made the right decision. Both are great options.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Graton said:
    Thanks jkjenn, that makes sense - was there anything else that swayed you away from a truck camper? I think we are definitely leaning towards the T@B, but need to give the camper another look before we decide.
    I had a Jeep so it was between a T@b and an expedition trailer (think M416.) For me, personally, the wet bath and the totally cute factor won out. I also looked at A Liners but I couldn't stand the insides of them, aesthetically, and the T@b seemed better suited, overall for off grid camping. FWIW, I have seen photos of T@bs in some crazy spots, like Dance Hall Rock on Hole in the Rock Rd. in Escalante, UT. I wish I could remember where I saw it. I do think taking the T@bs down those bumpy roads will require more frequent tightening of bolts and things.

In the end, you will have to also consider how much off camber driving you might do as your ability to drive off camber would be reduced by a truck camper.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    your age and pain threshold have a lot to do with this. Personally, I never want sleep on the ground in a tent again. When (not if) I have to pee during the night, I don't want have to remember if the safety is on or off on my Remington shotgun in case grizzly bears are matting nearby (they HATE being interrupted). If you're in your 20's, then go for that über articulated Rubicon pop-up extreme tent trailer.  But if you're in your 50s with nothing more to prove, ah. . . Listening to to sounds of grizzles propagating while you make coffee inside your TAB. . . priceless.
  • Options
    OutbackAZ - Really, a Remington? Bear spray man :-)
  • Options
    My corgi is named Remington and he used to keep the bears away when we lived in western Massachusetts and had lots of four legged visitors poking around.
  • Options
    Agreed PXLated. Spent many a night in a tent in Alaskan wilderness with bear spray AND my Remington. So happy I never had to actually fire upon these amazing creatures.  Duapp bear spray is the way to go assuming you can keep your composure with a charging bear at 15 feet.  Nothing macho here man, but 15 feet is, well, 15 feet.
  • Options
    You'll have as much composure with your bear spray as your remington :-)
    Most people can't hit the broad side of a barn when under stress - Wider spread, better coverage with the spray.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Respectfully disagree. I purchased the "training" (inert) version of the Duapp bear spray before one of my trips to Alaska.  Was stunned at how close the spray propelled and limited spead of the spray at maximum effective distance. I totally agree with your statement that most people could not hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun.  I am one of those people. Duapp is without question the preferred deterrent in a bear attack (watch the YouTube videos). Thankfully, I never had to see if I had the balls to survive a bear encounter. Even more thankfully, I never will because of the safety provided by my Outback.
  • Options
    Just noticed my last post was in BOLD as is I was yelling or being stern.  Not the case!
  • Options
    Bold - What are you talking about ;-)
  • Options
    The print on my screen shows my post in "bold."  Didn't want any one to think I was yelling or overly emotional like Brandon Frasier in "Bedazzled."
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    It DID but as a moderator all we have to do is look at it, scream and wish it away :-)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Just FYI about bear spray (or any pepper spray) - if you are downwind, you will get a dose too! I also found it was illegal to use the more potent bear spray on humans, so even a little back spray might be painful. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I had the unfortunate experience of having the bear spray on my belt inadvertently discharge and spray me in the face upon my arrival in Yellowstone. I was putting my camp kitchen back into my Jeep when the corner of it caught and flipped the safety and also depressed the trigger. I didn't realize what had happened until I heard a loud sound of what sounded like air being released. Naturally I looked down to see what was causing the sound and caught a face full of the spray. You basically can't see. I stumbled to a neighboring campsite to have the nice gentleman read the canister for me. After a long time of washing my eyes out, and a few hours, the pain subsided. I then went directly to shower and wash the clothes and coat that had been effected. I checked with a ranger and she I think felt full on sympathy and amusement at my poor eyes at the same time.

We have another thread on bear safety somewhere and the gun debate almost always breaks out. I am a "to each their own" type of person on this issue. Neither will help you in a surprise attack, though.

• Options
    OMG Jenn. You poor thing! It's like you got a 10x dose of Murphy's Law!!! And I thought I was the only one Murphy picked on all the time.

The closest thing to that sort of eye pain I've felt was a laboratory accident where a student inadvertently turned on the UV light (used to sterilize the area overnight) in the sterile hood I was working in.  I couldn't see the UV light on in a white area with regular lights on. Even wearing glasses, 45 min of indirect (bounced) UV light on my corneas were enough so that I couldn't see for a couple of days because of the burns. Ouch. Just. Ouch. For anyone who welds, that's equivalent to welding without eye and face protection.

I ditched my old can of bear spray after having it too many years, and didn't want the plastic to fail (the safety thingie). I never got another bottle. I decided if a bear wants to eat me, he'd die of food poisoning from all the junk I eat or die of clogged arteries and a heart attack. LOL. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Graton,

We were in a similar situation.  We've been climbers, backcountry skiers, and backpackers for over 20 years.  With injuries, we're finding we have to bike more, and scale back a little on the long backcountry trips.  But we're not giving up.  We'll still sleep on the ground in bivy sacks and tents, but for the bike and mellower hiking trips,  it's nice to have a shower and toilet.  We looked at getting  a full on truck camper (Arctic Fox or one of the other cold weather units).  But the cost of a big diesel truck and the camper made the price of the Outback  a lot easier to swallow.  Plus we had a suitable tow vehicle with low miles.

We're a few years off from retirement, but hoping to get  a good amount of use out of the T@B.  If not, we may sell it and wait until we retire to get another one.  Not worried, as we know these things are easy to sell, and hold their value better than your average depreciating asset.

We bought ours basically sight unseen,  and we're happy with it.  But if you're taller than 5' 10" I'd recommend seeing if you can handle the fit.  I feel like I'm about the maximum size to really enjoy it, and I still have a bump on my head from this weekend. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm now about 95% sure that I'll get a t@b outback, just wish they were a little less expensive. Plus I realize there are a number of extras I have to get - brake controller, solar panels and batteries, and maybe an awning/tent.
  • Options
    I think I'm back to 50% / 50% on the decision process. Wondering whether I'll like doubling the length of my vehicle. Do you ever decide to stop somewhere because parking the DV and trailer a bit of hassle - thinking about driving through an interesting town and wanting to get out a walk around. Also winter trips to Tahoe could be limited as going over the pass with a trailer might be awkward. Plan on driving to Sacramento to look at FWC and ATC when I get back from overseas work travel.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Sure, stop all the time - The T@B isn't that big. And unlike a bigger rig you usually don't get hassled - You may come back to a gaggle of lurkers wanting a tour though. Have never found pulling the T@B a hassle though. Winter trips over passes without a trailer can be awkward. I personally wouldn't go unless the pass was clear and dry.
  • Options
    I really appreciate all the advice - also posted over at Wander the West where their decision was to go with a truck camper and, not surprisingly, they have a different view. Of course I'm driving my wife crazy - at first it I was looking at Sportsmobiles which are nice but overpriced and don't make for a good daily driver. Then of course I had to consider the Westy, but too many problems with them and as somewhat collectables, they command a high price. Now it is down to a T@B or FWC on the Tacoma. Need to figure out what I'm willing to compromise on and then make a decision so we'll have something late spring and summer. One other factor is that in a few years we would like to take it up to Alaska and spend some time up there exploring - do yo think the T@B would have limitations on such a trip? 
  • Options
    T@bs hold a pretty good resale value and the Outback are in demand. You could try it out for a while and see what you think. I realized a lot of tons have enough side street parking for you and you can always ask a local.

• Options
    karabukarabu Member Posts: 10
    Graton- There is an outfit in Auburn that is renting out T@bs.  sierrateardrops.com. Maybe rent one for a weekend to see if the separate camper tactic works for you? They don't have an Outback specifically but they do have a few T@bs.  I cannot speak for this place personally but we did rent a non-T@b first and that helped us figure out exactly what we wanted.  We got our Outback from the Ukiah dealer in November, tow with a Jeep Wrangler (4 door/Rubicon).  So far, NO regrets!  Love being able to drop the camper and go explore.   Parking hasn't been too much of a hassle for impromptu stops - just a bit of patience to find a stretch of curb.  Good luck with your decision! 
    kara + aaron | oakland ca | t@bsmanian revel | 2016 t@b max q 
  • Options
    Graton, go to the Little Guy home page (http://www.golittleguy.com/) and read about an awesome trip to Alaska with a LG teardrop written by our own Mike and other half (did I get that right, Mike?). When making that trip, I think the highway traveling is a big rough and many RVers have great suggestions for all types of rigs. The T@B is a well-made tough cookie. I'm sure it would make it up that AlCan highway.