Options

Hello, New to T@B, a question or two

nancentinanancentina Member Posts: 17
Hi friends, I'm Nancy in Austin TX.

We went to the RV show this week and I just fell in love with the T@B Outback S. And T@Bs. The fit and finish were a world apart from competitors.

My previous RVs were a beat up 1980 Vanagon (college), a 1993 16' Casita, and a super luxurious Pleasureway Lexor that we decided we just couldn't afford to keep.

My questions are:

1) Could we set up the T@B S as permanent(ish) twin beds and remove the table?  Doggies need a place to sleep on the floor and this is my solution for that.

2) Will the trailer tow well with a 4x4 1500 chevy? I ask because our last chevy 1500 (2wd) had a rough time towing the Casita. Lots of sway and scares on I 10 even when we took tons of precaution/swaybar, slow speed, trailer brake, loading, etc). It's possible there was a frame issue with that trailer. We suspect that or our truck just didn't have enough power.

I know this is a vague question.

Mainly wanted to introduce myself and compliment the forum mods/participants on a great forum.

Thanks & happy camping.

Nancy  

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Welcome aboard.
    Many of us have taken the table out and replaced it with something smaller and portable (Walmart folding table in many cases) and sleep on the side benches. I'm short enough that I can sleep sideways (wheel-to-wheel).
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2016
    Nancy, do you mean using the side benches as two separate beds? If so, they would be pretty narrow and leave little 'wiggle room'. 

When one person is using the bed, the table can be taken out, leaving room for the dog floor. The back bench collapsed is quite large enough for me crosswise ( at 6'3"), when I'm alone.

When two of us are using the full bed, the dog (medium sized shepherd) squeezes into the floor space in front of the sink. The table is in the cab of the truck so there's actually room under the bed for him to stretch out a bit.

We use a 4cylinder Tacoma (170hp) to pull the Tab, and it works fine.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW - Side benches are narrow but your body is mostly back on the wider area with just your legs on that narrower part. I sleep crosswise but started out just using the side bench.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ChanW said:
    Nancy, do you mean using the side benches as two separate beds? If so, they would be pretty narrow and leave little 'wiggle room'. 

When one person is using the bed, the table can be taken out, leaving room for the dog floor. The back bench collapsed is quite large enough for me crosswise ( at 6'3"), when I'm alone.

When two of us are using the full bed, the dog (medium sized shepherd) squeezes into the floor space in front of the sink. The table is in the cab of the truck so there's actually room under the bed for him to stretch out a bit.

We use a 4cylinder Tacoma (170hp) to pull the Tab, and it works fine.
    Welcome, Nancy! I sleep alone and go from wheel to wheel and the pup (Shih Tzu) sleeps on the side bench. I am traveling this summer with a relative and will go the route of the bed slats (do a forum search and there are tons of threads with photos) I am not sure if the pup will sleep on the bed with us (should be plenty of room for Rocky) or if he will prefer the floor. There was plenty of room for his hard sided carrier on the bench, but I no longer bring that and instead put his favorite travel on the bench.

Chan, do you ever have an issue with him blocking the LP detector?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Welcome Nancy. We took the table out and installed the Lagun  Mount ( you can search that word here to actually see the table in the unit. IT works great for us and depending on the size you make it becomes a "slat". With the back cushions off there is plenty of room for DW and I to sleep on the side cushions. We do put the back down. Our Golden sleeps on a rug by the door but also can come up where the table used to be.
    Towing should not be a problem at all if is attached level. We even put a sway bar on one side  . We tow with w "15 Lexus GX and we don't even know its behind us.John
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Welcome Nancy. We took the table out and installed the Lagun  Mount ( you can search that word here to actually see the table in the unit. IT works great for us and depending on the size you make it becomes a "slat". With the back cushions off there is plenty of room for DW and I to sleep on the side cushions. We do put the back down. Our Golden sleeps on a rug by the door but also can come up where the table used to be.
    Towing should not be a problem at all if is attached level. We even put a sway bar on one side  . We tow with w "15 Lexus GX and we don't even know its behind us.John

Did you make your tabletop the same size as the bed slat space?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn  We made 2  one is 29 1/4 by 24" and the other one is 29 1/4 by 16"
    We, well more correctly Kris is deciding on which one we will make permanent. WE wanted a bit more room when the table is put on the slats at night when sleep so we can get up easier. I need a bit more room in the AM as I need to put 2 braces on my legs and the full size table made it almost impossible especially with our Golden by the door.  They mount so the table can swing back against the seat back and we both can use it as a side table when we stretch out on the bench seat when reading or napping ( we just put it on the Lagun Base and moved it around till it fit when turned to the seat back and marked it  then screwed the wood table on. We got the tops frm Lowes and just had them cut the 29 1/4  as we found tops at 24  & 16".

We did not want the table to big just enough for eating, ipads  and surface pro as well as card games and dominos. John

South Carolina
  • Options
    Jenn  We made 2  one is 29 1/4 by 24" and the other one is 29 1/4 by 16"
    We, well more correctly Kris is deciding on which one we will make permanent. WE wanted a bit more room when the table is put on the slats at night when sleep so we can get up easier. I need a bit more room in the AM as I need to put 2 braces on my legs and the full size table made it almost impossible especially with our Golden by the door.  They mount so the table can swing back against the seat back and we both can use it as a side table when we stretch out on the bench seat when reading or napping ( we just put it on the Lagun Base and moved it around till it fit when turned to the seat back and marked it  then screwed the wood table on. We got the tops frm Lowes and just had them cut the 29 1/4  as we found tops at 24  & 16".

We did not want the table to big just enough for eating, ipads  and surface pro as well as card games and dominos. John

Cool, thanks. I am still trying to decide if the mount is worth it for just me. I like the idea of a side table. I have been using a jumbo lapdesk and for the most part it is a nice compact solution.The Surface Pro makes it easy to work without a lot of space.

• Options
    Jenn :We like it because it leaves all the floor area free for our feet to not be stepped on plus you can move the table away and get up more easily especially if one of us is outside using the picnic table. John 
    South Carolina
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I tow with a 1500 (GMC Sierra) 4X4, and to be honest, it is way more than is necessary for the T@B.  Get it level and the weight distributed correctly (both important), and you should have no problems.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Thanks everyone, for your kind and thoughtful responses, you have given me a lot to think about. I love the lagun table mod that many of you have completed. We made a lot of mods to our Casita and thankfully my husband is a pretty good woodworker.

Dogwise we have two 50lb rescue golden/mixes and a small cattle mix. I know it sounds like a lot for this little trailer but my oldest is 13 and I'm planning for the future.

Good to know that some couples sleep in twin bed fashion. I guess we'll go up to the dealer and lie down in one! 
  • Options
    RZRBUG said:
    I tow with a 1500 (GMC Sierra) 4X4, and to be honest, it is way more than is necessary for the T@B.  Get it level and the weight distributed correctly (both important), and you should have no problems.
    Thanks for commenting. I like your dog!
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    My wife and I sleep in a twin bed setup. Heads to the rear. We think that it is very comfortable.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    nancentina:  Thanks. Yours too.  Maybe they'll meet on the road some day.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    kybob said:
    My wife and I sleep in a twin bed setup. Heads to the rear. We think that it is very comfortable.

Do you do anything to make the side benches wider? I've been thinking that twin beds might be convenient too.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    When one of our daughters is camping with me, we set up in "twin bed mode".  Here is a photo to help you visualize.  The orange is a twin memory foam.  Our shoulders and heads rest on it, with our legs along the side benches.  Her bedding, the blue, is in place, and mine is not as yet, nor do we have pillows out.  Apparently we were in the process of getting our beds ready.  I have no idea why we took this photo. lol.  The white in the very back is an extra fiber topper.

Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    My version of Lagun table mod.  Keep slat to complete bed under cushion below table 9X29.25 as I recall.  
  • Options
    The cushions that are closet to the door and the bath  have the bottom and back tied together. We have cut those ties and can now put the back behind the headboard when we want to use the area for sleeping giving us more room.
    South Carolina
  • Options
    TABaker said:
    When one of our daughters is camping with me, we set up in "twin bed mode".  Here is a photo to help you visualize.  The orange is a twin memory foam.  Our shoulders and heads rest on it, with our legs along the side benches.  Her bedding, the blue, is in place, and mine is not as yet, nor do we have pillows out.  Apparently we were in the process of getting our beds ready.  I have no idea why we took this photo. lol.  The white in the very back is an extra fiber topper.
    I would have a tough time with this because I use that side bench (driver side) as a shelf, of sorts. But, when you describe it like that I can see it working because it is basically the same idea as the mummy bag sleeping bags.

mash2 said:
    My version of Lagun table mod.  Keep slat to complete bed under cushion below table 9X29.25 as I recall.  
    @mash2your photos were very helpful to me. I like the beefier bed rails/cleats you have. I am not sure they would work for me with where my vents are located, however. I also like how you mounted the table. Can you clarify "keep slat to complete bed cushion?" Do you use the table + 1 slat to complete the bed?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    TABaker said:

TABaker: Looks cozy! Thanks for posting the picture, it really helps me envision my sleeping arrangement. Love the decorative details.
    Nancy
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Just make sure that the wider cushion is underneath you. This year we are going to separate the cushions that are joined together to free up space in the middle. 
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    Jenn.  Yes.  Table plus one slat to hold bed.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Jenn. Here is photo of other slat. 

I either hide it under the cushion or use it as a privacy screen near the entrance as shown below.    
    They both go together to create the flat surface for the bed.  Where I store the smaller one depends on my mood.

• Options
    Y'know, thinking about the 'two twin beds' setup (which, granted, I've never tried) it seems you'd be more susceptible to cold from being up against the outside walls.
    We sleep side-to-side now, and on cold nights, if my feet are against the side, they'll get cold. Anyone slept this way in cold weather?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Chan, a solo traveler sleeping sideways here. Yes, the sidewalls do get a bit colder than the rest of the area, but just a blanket over my feet keeps them warm. My head stays far enough from the other wall to be comfortable. So, as long as you're covered, the walls shouldn't bother you.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanW - Slippers - I'd suggect the nice big fuzzy ones that look like bunnies :-)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    www.thinkgeek.com - yeti slippers. Plug them into a usb port and you have toasty warm toes and your feet look like you stole them from a very large rabbit or Bigfoot.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    EWizardEWizard Member Posts: 106
    welcome, from a fellow Austinite.  =)
    I just picked up my T@B last weekend, and already love it.
    We tow ours with a Toyota Sienna minivan, so your 1500 truck will tow it fine.
    You won't even know it's back there.
    2005 T@B U model
  • Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    FYI: Two weekend ago my husband and I did our maiden voyage with our Outback to test out our dogs with camping.  I know they probably would be fine sleeping in the car, but we both decided to give them a try in our new baby.  Lets just say, they didn't really give us much of an option.  They looked at the floor space, they looked at the bed, and up they came. Our dogs (a 90lb Lab & 50lb pit/beagle/whippet?) never sleep in bed (or even get up on the furniture) with us in the house, but it appears they have decided camping is time of togetherness.  It was pretty funny, and now we are working on a way to preserve our space in the t@b from these bed hogs.  Enjoy!
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    Bunny slippers! I knew I could count on this group for an answer... B-/
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya