Options

Cookbook?

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
edited March 2016 in Tips & Tricks
A recent post got me thinking - I'll bet lots of T@bbers turn out some great meals with their tiny kitchens, grills, Dutch ovens, etc. I'd be happy to compile a cookbook if folks will send me their recipes. Anyone interested?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Sure!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Sherry1763HagenSherry1763Hagen Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if anyone has used a pressure cooker? 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    My husband uses a pressure cooker and has some favorite recipes.  We recently bought a small pressure cooker for use with the T@b.  It should be a great way to speed up cooking!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    If anyone is interested in contributing, you can 
    - post your recipe here
    - send it via email
    - scan or snap a photo and email
    - print it and send it to my postal address
    - send it any other way your heart desires

Will provide email/home address via PM on request
  • Options
    I'm sorry, no pictures, but recipe is low calorie, tasty, and low sodium (provided low-sodium ketsup is used).

Layer skinless boneless chicken pieces on the bottom of a large crockpot (I prefer dark meat, but make a separate pot for white meat lovers)
    Layer thin strips of green and red pepper over the chicken
    Layer thin strips of sweet onion on top of green and red pepper (like vidalia onions)
    On top of layers, add 1 cup of ketsup (low-sodium is used for my Dad - he's on a strict diet)
    Add one can of coke (not pepsi).
    Use low-sodium chicken broth to barely cover layers (regular broth works, but significantly ups the sodium)
    Cook on auto in crockpot for 10-12 hours. 

I like to serve over basmati, jasmine or brown rice (not a fan of plain white rice). I made a no-salt rice bowl for Dad.

I usually have one pot with white meat cut in strips and another pot going with dark meat. This is modified from a very old weight watchers recipe. Careful with different crock pots. I find none of them are alike and cook somewhat differently.

This makes a lot of food, but I'm usually cooking over Thanksgiving week when we have 10-15 people over. As a bonus, the juices from the cooking are really tasty and Dad likes to save the juice to eat over top of leftover rice - almost like a rice/chicken soup.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ratkity - 10-12 hours? Have to have a hookup for that one. Oh, and a crockpot.
  • Options
    Yup Yup PXL.. not a boondocking dish. More of a potluck thing. Set it and forget it!
  • Options
    Nor a "dry camping" dish :-)
  • Options
    Gotta fall back on the great "pocket stew" recipe we used to do in Girl Scouts then....

Double a layer of heavy duty aluminum foil 
    Add hamburger (ground meat cooks faster or thin strips),
    Use a potato peeler to add regular tater slices, carrots or any "long-to-cook item",
    Dice onions or put them in strips,
    Some people like cabbage strips (in keeping with St Paddy's day - corned beef strips for the meat?)
    Spices (doesn't need much salt, dash of pepper and pinch of cayenne)
    Ketchup,
    Peas (cooked),
    Corn... okay, anything you have on hand.
    If you want to add any sort of beans or lentils, make sure they are pre-cooked.
    Seal well by repeatedly folding over top and edges - make it "boat like" so juices remain inside.
    Put in fire embers with some coals on top,
    Cook 30-45 min (depending on how much "stew" you've crammed in that foil). 

Another version is to just make "meatloaf" as one normally does and put it loosely in the pouch.

Smaller pouches cook faster and more evenly. Many pouches fit in a standard fire ring.

For any leftover whole taters, butter the outside, stick a few holes in the skin with a fork or knife, cover in foil and bury deep in coals and let slowly cook overnight (no active fire is going and no hot coals are on top to blow off in a wind event or cause fire hazard). Cooked taters will be ready for breakfast. 

Alas, for the wild-fire prone areas or places where it's not safe to leave ANY live embers left no matter how deep in the ash (pour water on ash and mix) neither of these recipes will work. 
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Need pics - Gotta see what I'm going to be putting in my mouth.
  • Options
    @PXlated, how about some grill recipes?  
  • Options
    My grill recipies are of two kinds...
    Standard - Throw on a burger, a steak, some chicken, etc
    Bake - Cookies, hotdishes, hobo dinners, etc.
    Nothing too inspired or out of the ordinary. Pretty much the same fair I made before I hit the road.
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    Moved my T@b out of its winter spot and am starting to think all sorts of campy things.  Does anyone use a crock pot? If so, what is a good size for the T@b?  It's mostly just me or maybe a friend. The one I have is too big and heavy. I just heard about liners on a camping podcast and thought that slow cooking would be a nice option. 
    Martha in Mehit@ble, 2015 T@b CS-S.
  • Options
    I have used the liners when cabin camping. They work very well when you don't have the ability do do a lot of scrubbing. I doubt we'll take a crockpot T@bbing since we typically spend days away from camp and il not sure I'd leave one unsupervised. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Tweedrvr said:
    Moved my T@b out of its winter spot and am starting to think all sorts of campy things.  Does anyone use a crock pot? If so, what is a good size for the T@b?  It's mostly just me or maybe a friend. The one I have is too big and heavy. I just heard about liners on a camping podcast and thought that slow cooking would be a nice option. 
    Martha in Mehit@ble, 2015 T@b CS-S.
    I use a 3.5 quart crockpot for local camping and for at home. It's a goid size for the solo camper, with enough room for 4+ servings.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    The Tear Drop Shop sells a cooking with aluminum foil cookbook.  My wife cooks most of our meals over the fire, when we camp. SO GOOD.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    DebWildDebWild Member Posts: 13
    I was thinking of getting one of these for camping, it seems like you bring it up to the temp you want on the stove, then the container keeps cooking it while you go off on your adventures!
    Saratoga Jacks 7L Thermal Cooker Deluxe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JX4D3KS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_UdW.xb874CBBG

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    DebWild said:
    I was thinking of getting one of these for camping, it seems like you bring it up to the temp you want on the stove, then the container keeps cooking it while you go off on your adventures!
    Saratoga Jacks 7L Thermal Cooker Deluxe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JX4D3KS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_UdW.xb874CBBG

@DebWild, I have one that I used my first winter trip in AZ.  It makes great chili and chicken and noodles, but I didn't progress beyond those two recipes. I felt it was just as easy using a 6 qt pot on the propane stove to cook multiple servings, as it was to use the thermal cooker. Personal opinion, your results may vary. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,450
    PXLated said:
    My grill recipies are of two kinds...
    Standard - Throw on a burger, a steak, some chicken, etc
    Nothing too inspired or out of the ordinary. Pretty much the same fair I made before I hit the road.
    The food may not be inspired or out of the ordinary, but the photos of it are downright mouthwatering!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    We just load up the pit barrel in the back of the Avalanche. Prime rib, barbecued  ribs, tri-tip, steak, burgers, chicken, what ever you could cook on the barbecue at home, even baked potatoes! Don't leave home without it. I'm thinking about trying a turkey for thanksgiving, if it works, we'll take one along for the family reunion next summer. Just because we're campin' doesn't mean we can't eat good! [Sometimes, I think we eat better campin' than at home!] ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    I just ordered a camper cookbook from England where the community of VW campers is a bit like the T@B community here.  They all name their VWs and put plastic flowers in the window!
    "The Camper Van Cookbook: Life on 4 wheels, Cooking on 2 rings".  I'll report on the book when it arrives.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1444703897/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    PXLated said:

Cookies?  My daughter would like to know more about how you do this. :)

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    ericlinz, what time should we all show up on Thanksgiving?
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    PXLated  Thanks!

Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    marknjudy, Usually about 3:00 pm. ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
    edited November 2016
    This is stupid simple but tastes really good:

Campfire Stew:

1/2 lb of browned hamburger meat.
    2 Cans of Campbell Vegetable Soup.
    1 Beef Bullion Cube
    1 small can of V8 Juice ( This is what makes it so good!)

Serves 4-6...

Obviously brown ground beef, drain if desired and add other ingredients and warm over low heat.  I usually simmer it for about 10-15 min over low heat.

It is best with a grilled cheese sandwich....(And any RED wine)

Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    Nice webcrawler!!