Options

What do you pull your T@B with?

Comments

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I'm not going to ask what the tow rating is for that SAAB 96 after reading the Acura RDX thread.  :)   Love the car though, very cool.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    LibrarydragonLibrarydragon Member Posts: 103
    Toyota RAV4 V6, with towing package.
    Sara&Carl
    2015 max s outback, TV 2011 RAV4, V6, 4x4, & 2017 Tacoma Off-road 4x4
    Soquel, CA
  • Options
    DeeDeeDeeDee Member Posts: 115
    2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0L Turbo. Anxious to see how it handles the T@B in our mountains.
    DeeDee & The Captain
    2016 Orange MaxQ
    Henry's Fork River, Eastern Idaho

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
  • Options
    TomStephens1TomStephens1 Member Posts: 88
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    2014 RAM C/V van, commercial version of a Dodge Grand Caravan, only 2 seats and LOTS of cargo room. 3.5 liter V-6, plenty of power, 3600 pounds of towing.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    2015 Jeep GC 6 cylinder.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    Our tow vehicle for the past two years is a 2013 Toyota Highlander V6. Next week we are trading it for a 2016 GMC Canyon V6.  I would have preferred the full size Sierra but we do quite a bit of urban driving so wanted something a bit more maneuverable in town.
    2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Spruce1 said:
    Our tow vehicle for the past two years is a 2013 Toyota Highlander V6. Next week we are trading it for a 2016 GMC Canyon V6.  I would have preferred the full size Sierra but we do quite a bit of urban driving so wanted something a bit more maneuverable in town.
    Did you have any issues with the Highlander? That's what we have (the Plus model with 5000 lbs towing capacity).
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    Hey, spruce1...I tow with a 2008 Honda Ridgeline...I was looking at GMC canyons V6 Crew cab 4x4 nice...   Honda is coming out with new ridgeline early summer ??   The ridgeline pulls real well ,, I forget the T@B is back there....   Happy Campin....
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    Spruce1 said:
    Did you have any issues with the Highlander? That's what we have (the Plus model with 5000 lbs towing capacity).
    Hi Photomom: No real issues to speak of.  We have (for about 1 more week) the Plus model too.  The main driver for the new vehicle is that I started a wood working business and needed something to haul projects around.  While the Highlander did an ok job towing I did want something a little beefier as we'll be spending time pulling our T@b up and down mountains this summer on our way to the North Rim.
    2014 T@B-S
    Minnesota
  • Options
    manny said:
    Hey, spruce1...I tow with a 2008 Honda Ridgeline...I was looking at GMC canyons V6 Crew cab 4x4 nice...   Honda is coming out with new ridgeline early summer ??   The ridgeline pulls real well ,, I forget the T@B is back there....   Happy Campin....
    Hi Manny:  The new Ridgeline was on our short list.  Timing unfortunately was such that I wasn't able to wait for the Ridgeline to be available.  It does look like a great rig!
    2014 T@B-S
    Minnesota
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Spruce1 said:
    Photomom said:
    Spruce1 said:
    Hi Photomom: No real issues to speak of.  We have (for about 1 more week) the Plus model too.  The main driver for the new vehicle is that I started a wood working business and needed something to haul projects around.  While the Highlander did an ok job towing I did want something a little beefier as we'll be spending time pulling our T@b up and down mountains this summer on our way to the North Rim.
    Thank you!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Careful of the beds in some Toyota pickups and the GMC Canyon for 2016. They are supposedly made of a composite material. Ford is going to sheet aluminum. The Canyon with tow package is rated for 7000# (700# tongue weight). Hardly know the T@B is there.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    rorororo Member Posts: 7

First post, but I've been looking at these forums for several weeks if not longer, and I just bought my T@B.  Here a pic of my tow car as well as my first over night stay.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Cool - Welcome. Nothing wrong with lurking but always nice to see new contributors.
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    That's a beautiful shot of the lake view put your door. Congratulations! And welcome to the club
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
    2014 Subaru Outback 2700 towing capacity
    2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    edited March 2016
    I had been pulling with a Ford Ranger. Now have a sweet little Escape we love. Rated for 3500 lbs. Just finished trip from Lou,Ky area to Sarasota, Fla and back. Nine nights out. A few of them on my son's driveway in Destin.  The Escape 4 cyl Turbo Boost did a great job, no "stress" but  MPG cut in half..(sigh). It was a blessing that gas prices had dropped to the $1.70- $1.90 range. Attached pic file below.

"Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    what was your average mpg? I have the same escape and I've managed to keep mileage with tow vehicle in the 18-19 mpg range (limiting myself to 55 mph - the legal rate in California where I'm centered).  The Escape is pretty peppy with the T@B behind it in my case.  
  • Options
    I was looking at 12 mpg going 65 mph. Up and down a lot of hills as well. I like your 18-19 mpg. What do you get without the T@B behind you?
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    The gap is probably the 55/65 diff - I know on my Jeep it depreciates the faster I go.
  • Options
    Generally around 68-28 on freeway.  Pxlated is right, there is a significant price to be paid for the additional mph.  I also try to use cruise control on relatively flat terrain as much as possible.  Shift to sport mode in the mountains to anticipate terrain and proactively use gear changing to maintain RPM's as much as possible.

Went to Lassen (from SF) and back late season last season and averaged around 18 mpg.  Would have been higher but went over the pass a few times when I was there (8500 ft).  Same was true in for me in the redwood area, definitely hilly terrain.  

• Options
    edited March 2016
    " I Just Can't Drive 55 !" - Sammy Hagar   =) (If you don't remember that song then...I'm too old for you!)   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    Of course there's that old saying - If you need to get there fast, it just means you left too late.
  • Options
    Mash2 you said: "Generally around 68-28 on freeway". Typo there, right?  :) 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    Right, 26-28 (Forgive my fingers).
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    T@Bnero said:
    Ratkity said:
    Careful of the beds in some Toyota pickups and the GMC Canyon for 2016. They are supposedly made of a composite material. Ford is going to sheet aluminum. The Canyon with tow package is rated for 7000# (700# tongue weight). Hardly know the T@B is there.
    are you using the GMC canyon?? what kind of mpg performance are you seeing
    Up and down hills with the "tow mode" setting on (prevents excessive up and down-shifting on hills for the 2 overdrive gears 5&6), I get ~18-19 mpg. Flat country, 21-23 mpg. If I dropped my speed below Warp 10, I'd probably get better mileage. If I feel a lot of up and downshifting on flat lands and not in tow mode, it's nice to just hit a button. It's better than the manual shift way - then I'd forget to put it back in overdrive on flat-as-pancake road. The button doesn't turn off overdrive, just turns on the leveling sensor and shift sensor for the overdrive gears.

The internal leveling system in the truck autosense upshifts and downshifts when I'm driving in the hills *if* I have the tow button ON. There's a non turn-offable feature that detects when I am stopped on an incline and does some sort of "driver assist" preventing that 2-3" backwards motion until you step on the gas (like at a stoplight). I never let any vehicle go backwards (old school bus manual trannies). I think it's funny when the message popups up periodically.

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    longleafpinelongleafpine Member Posts: 12
    Longleafpine
    We are towing with 2011 Honda Odyssey with added Electric brake controller and transmission cooler.
    Tows great, and using Rear view camera can connect with out help or getting out of the van.
  • Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    I am towing with a Subaru Forester, a little underpowered for the mountains out here (we did add electric break and transmission cooler on it). Anyway, we have started thinking about a new tow vehicle.  I wanted to go back to an Nissan X-terra (loved the one we used to have), but found out Nissan no longer makes them, bummer.  Any suggestions on reliability, good off-road capabilities as well as towing?
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)