Options

Check Your Bottom

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
As in undercarriage - Ervery so often when I'm staying in one place for a bit I'll get down and crawl around underneith the T@B and see if anything is amiss. In the past I've found the brake wiring going across from one wheel to the other lose and hanging down. Another time discovered my fresh water drain valve handle (have had that twice). This time I found a big hole in the junction box - Must have gotten hit by a rock...

You can see the hole in the upper right. Lts of dust, sand and rocks in there.

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Yuk!  I have to admit, I crawl under there every now & then...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I popped that cover off 'just for the heck of it' last spring (after having crossed a few miles of deep puddles), and I found it had water in it.
    'taint waterproof, till the water tries to get out of it!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I was thankful to see mine clean and dry when I popped it last fall. I also am underneath, periodically. I lost my license plate on my Dolly Sods trip, which was a rough FS road.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2016
    I too keep close eye. I actually use dielectric grease on all those bolts and nuts to keep them from getting rusty.

Galvanic corrosion is always an issue.

When I  installed my alluminum storage box I used rubber strips between the frame along and bottom of diamond plate box to prevent this from occuring. I did use stainless steel hardware. Along with any and all electrical work I've  done is crimped with heat shrink terminals.

I edited my post for the mistake or missing  conception of a few.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Hmmm. I'd completely spaced that out.

Also should use stainless steel bolts for anything aluminum, for the same reason...
    Tonydjd said:
    I too keep close eye. I actually use dielectric grease on all those bolts and nuts to keep them from getting rusty and losing contact were it was wire crimped.

On another note for all owners OUTBACKS you need to be aware of Galvanic corrosion from two disimiliar  metals meaning the alluminum platforms that are bolted to the steel frame years down the road you mave have corrosion issues.

When I  installed my alluminum storage box I used rubber strips between the frame and bottom of diamond plate box to prevent this from occuring.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    On another note for all owners OUTBACKS you need to be aware of Galvanic corrosion from two disimiliar  metals meaning the alluminum platforms that are bolted to the steel frame years down the road you mave have corrosion issues.

When I  installed my alluminum storage box I used rubber strips between the frame and bottom of diamond plate box to prevent this from occuring.
    This seems like good feedback for the factory. Perhaps one of the moderators can pass it along. There is quite a bit of contact between the platform and frame, I believe.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Many years of repairing alluminum trailers with torsion axles with galvanized bolts 3 different metals make for some serious corrosion issues. We have some of the same issues at the fire department with our trucks Diamond plate making contact with other metals.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The factory is aware of the use of different metals and their reaction to each other. That is why they only made Silver Shadows with Aluminum sidewalls for two seasons. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Wow Tony - never thought of all that diamond plate you all keep shiny on those fire trucks and the metal-metal reaction thing. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    boo - It's where the TV hookup cable comes in and is split off to the various areas.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Here's what the inside of that junction box looks like. There isn't a rubber gasket but there is a groove that should keep most water and dust out. I suppose one could fill the grove with something to seal it up. Probably wouldn't use silicon or it might be tough getting it off if needed.

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    I bet you could find a large O-ring that would fit in that groove….
  • Options
    Let the silicon cure first <- Duh, didn't think of that ;-(
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    pxlated,  how about Plumbers putty.. stays flexible  &  keep everything else out of box..  easy to remove later if needed.. just thinkin outside the box .. no pun intended.. 
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    Good suggestions. Need to get back in there tomorrow and trace my brake wires then I'll seal it.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Don't seal it too too tight.You might want to leave some way for water to get out in case it gets in there. 

A painter friend likes to say, caulk it to stop water ingress, but not water egress...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    This is interesting, I've had problems with lack of battery charging from the TV.  I changed out the converter and it still persisted so I ran a 14 ga wire w/inline fuse from the battery of the TV to the T@B battery.  I'd better look into this junction box.  I couldn't find it before and it doesn't help when it's in the garage 2-3 inches off the floor...  Getting ready to go to AZ and want things to go right.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Took the first look at mine today.  Didn't take the cover off, but everything looked clean and tight from the outside.  But I did note that no matter how tightly the groove is sealed, where the lines go into and out of the box will let dust and water in unless it is sealed well also.  Sometime this summer I will take the cover off and check that area as well.  Silicone where the lines enter might be good.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I crawl under mine at least once a year, one to add grease to my surge break mechanism, the other reason to check everything out, and also while someone sits inside in the dark, shine a flashlight to every seam. If light comes through, we apply sealant.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited March 2016
    This is a good thread.. 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    Someone said that the cover "snaps" off, mine is held on with two screws and is cleaner than whistle.
  • Options
    SgtJohn - Two screws on mine.
  • Options
    Ok, here's two more while you're down there crawlin in the dirt...
    1) There's a silver colored crossbar under the propane cover frame. There's a strap attached to it that holds up the gray water valve. That bar is held in place by two screws - both are missing on mine.
    2) My 7-pin connector frame is screwed into the bottom side of my bumper (2 sheet metal screws). One is missing, the other loose.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited March 2016
    PXL - remember "loose screws" LOL
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Or may I just have a screw loose, always a possibility.
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    I wonder on the new "16 models that have the bottom covered what is going on under the covering. On a side note we purchased the aluminum Platform for our "16 Max S and installed it ourselves. The factory supplied the bolts..I am not sure what they were mad of. I will try and ask Elsie if she knows.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Another project complete. Taped off and sprayed 2 part bedliner productto protect the metal frame components and make it easier for wash down.Just some FYI the trailers are modular built they are bolted together they are not welded (at least my 2015 ) things change very quick at the PV factory again it would be something to look at annually. Just my opinion takes 5 minutes to look at the bolts.
    Used a 2 part product T-Rex liner very easy to work with goes on easy can be done with you're average compressor.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    @Tonydjd that will add some to the weight, correct?

• Options
    Only used about 1 qt should not even notice a difference. I remove my hiking shoes from T@B put them in TV.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2016
    I noticed in Shawn's SeeLevel ll write-up that he had to remove the plastic covering beneath the trailer.  Do any of you have the covering beneath your trailers as mine doesn't and neither does Verna?   

Can someone let me know if the under belly of the trailer is covered and list what year your trailer is?   

This is a shot of Pop_T@B (Shawn's) trailer as shown in his posting.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ