Options

Check Your Bottom

Comments

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @Michigan_Mike, 2017 Outback S, got skin on my belly.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    2015 Max S - Has the fabric.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Early 2015 T@Bitha - black paper over the composite underfloor. Can see tanks, including water level in fresh water tank. Have all the red/blue water lines exposed as well as the gravity water fill flexible line, but wrapped all of them in self-adhesive reflective insulation soon after purchasing camper (I noticed I missed a spot and need to re-do an area). I can see the electric brake wiring and the wiring harness to the junction box. I can trace all the gas and water inlets (and drains). I have some waterproof expanding foam I'm going to use to plug some of the holes where the piping goes in and out to discourage critters. Just on that "roundtoit" list. 

Is this the type of information you wanted Mike?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ratkity said:
    Early 2015 T@Bitha - black paper over the composite underfloor. Can see tanks, including water level in fresh water tank. Have all the red/blue water lines exposed as well as the gravity water fill flexible line, but wrapped all of them in self-adhesive reflective insulation soon after purchasing camper (I noticed I missed a spot and need to re-do an area). I can see the electric brake wiring and the wiring harness to the junction box. I can trace all the gas and water inlets (and drains). I have some waterproof expanding foam I'm going to use to plug some of the holes where the piping goes in and out to discourage critters. Just on that "roundtoit" list. 

Is this the type of information you wanted Mike?
    Yes, thank you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Good information and appreciate you all taking the time to report in.....  Thank you!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Was crawling around underneith checking stuff and discovered that road rash had split the fabric underlayment up front where it wraps from the front to the bottom - below the diamond plate past the trim. The drivers sude was still pretty good but it was completely ripped on the passenger (door) side.

This pic is from the drivers side and it's just starting to show some nicks...

Here's from the passenger side where it's worn thru...

Here I've pulled it back so you can see what exposed to road spray...

I patched it all - Caulked underneith to hold the fabric in place - Sprayed with a tar like sealer - Ran a strip of heavy duty duct tap across the width of the trailer. I used duct tape to patch that hole in the junction box that started this thread and it had held up well - basically no damage so thought good enough for there, good enough for here :-)

So, again, check your bottom - Especially if you're putting on the mileage.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Haven't noticed any kind of damage like that on mine...yet, but I will keep a check.  Do you think part of yours could be that you drive quite a bit off road, or is it wear that would just happen after several miles?

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Think it's just miles and general road rash mostly but ya, I do spend more time than most on back roads. I imagine if you have an Outback and go boondocking you might keep an eye on it.
    PV could eliminate the issue if they carried the diamond plate and bottom trim down to the bend (couple inches). The damage is right on the bend.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Do you have "mud flaps" on your TV? Odd it's only on one side.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    The dump valves are on the drivers side protecting to a certain degree. I don't have mud flaps on my Jeep but this is back past the tongue/tub and underneith so not sure that would make a difference.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Just replaced my leveling jacks - 2.5 years of backroads, muddy forest service roads, sand/gravel have done a number on them. Time start over :-)
    Did discover something else for ya'll to check down under - had three loose bolts, two on one and one on another even though they have lock washers
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I thought you removed your level jack when you drove?

I asked the NuCamp guys to inspect my caulking and re-caulk where necessary while they have it. It's something I usually do but as long as they have it, I will let them take a crack at it. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn - Ok, I was clear as mud - The "stabilizer" jacks :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - Ok, I was clear as mud - The "stabilizer" jacks :-)

What were the symptoms? Did they not want to stay up or did you have trouble getting them down? 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn - Getting extreme hard to crank up or down. I'd taken them off and wire brushed them a couple of times in the past but the last time didn't help as much. There've been times where they've just been filled/caked with mud/gravel/sand and nowhere to wash them off for days. I didn't actually uncrank them and look when I got them off but betting they were pretty rusty/pitted.
    New ones were about $20/each so decided to make life easier on myself and start over - They're not to hard to get on and off.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - Getting extreme hard to crank up or down. I'd taken them off and wire brushed them a couple of times in the past but the last time didn't help as much. There've been times where they've just been filled/caked with mud/gravel/sand and nowhere to wash them off for days. I didn't actually uncrank them and look when I got them off but betting they were pretty rusty/pitted.
    New ones were about $20/each so decided to make life easier on myself and start over - They're not to hard to get on and off.

Thanks. My rear stabilizers have not been the same since I over-lubricated them last summer. The tend to slip down a little while driving. Maybe I just need some more dirt and sand to cake them up a bit. :)

• Options
    One thing I quit doing was lubing them - no matter what I used it attracted dirt and grit. I was always trying to clean them. I suppose if ones style of camping is always on paved roads and hookup type campgrounds you could lube them.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Do they acquire crud while camped or moving down the road?  Would it help to cover the stabilizer leg with some pipe insulation to keep them clean?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    While traveling - This isn't the worst I've encountered but when dry, it's like chipping out a brick...Once you get them cranked down that is ...

• Options
    SAM said:
    Do they acquire crud while camped or moving down the road?  Would it help to cover the stabilizer leg with some pipe insulation to keep them clean?
    Mine also attracted while camping - wind blowing dirt...but that was probably l the lube catching the dirt. 

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited March 2017
    PXL, Tried to check my bottom.....spun around twice.... :o fell on my head once :s .....oh, the trailer bottom! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    You're only suppose to let you protologist or significant other check your bottom - Dangerous to try it yourself :-)
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    So PXL and Jenn, what about silicone spray? Same results?
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Yep, as I recall - Silicone attracted also. 
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Rats! That's my favorite go-to!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    What about a dry lubricant such as spray-on Drislide?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, Now 'ya tell me! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited August 2021
    Has anyone retrofitted the plastic under belly covering that the new T@bs have?  Curious as to cost and pain factor.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    @Verna - I believe you did this, correct?

• Options
    Jenn - Not sure it was Verna but someone did.