Real skinny on A/C drain!

2»

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,159
    Slinger, eh? Fascinating. I love learning new stuff.

Just a word of caution if you're planning on pulling out the AC unit... When I pulled ours out (2014 model), it turned out it was actually sealed in there with that aluminum tape that's used for duct work. 

Using this metal tape, the factory had created a baffle system on the outside grill work to help direct and separate the cool incoming air from the warm outgoing air. 

Me pulling the AC unit into the Tab ripped the tape, making it necessary for me to redo it all when I reinstalled the AC.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,537
    Good info--I wondered what I might break when I started tugging on the AC. Thanks for the heads up, Chan.
    2015 T@B S

The factory has addressed the hot-air/cold-air mixing problem since then, however, so it might be different on the later models.

The best way to figure it out is to pull the outside grill off and look in there.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    ChanW said:
    Slinger, eh? Fascinating. I love learning new stuff.

Just a word of caution if you're planning on pulling out the AC unit... When I pulled ours out (2014 model), it turned out it was actually sealed in there with that aluminum tape that's used for duct work. 

Using this metal tape, the factory had created a baffle system on the outside grill work to help direct and separate the cool incoming air from the warm outgoing air. 

Me pulling the AC unit into the Tab ripped the tape, making it necessary for me to redo it all when I reinstalled the AC.
    Chan did you install the fan? Maybe the baffling worked as well as the fan but the fan was easier to install for the factory? I bet mine has the baffling, too. I think they started putting the a/c fans in right after mine was made. If I remember correctly, our T@bs are very similar in age.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited March 2016
    No, I don't have the fan. We haven't used the AC enough to care (we'd have to be pretty desperate to turn it on at all). 

The thing that worked best for me with the AC problem was extending the baffles to outside the grill, to get the hot air completely away from the cold air intake.

My method's not a very user-friendly system though.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    ScottG said:
    You guys are freakin' me out--I'm never touching that 
    What he said! :s
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,537
    Unlike Jenn's, my 2015 M@x-S has the a/c ventilation fan. I don't know about the baffling, but I do see some of that aluminum tape stuff through the exterior grill, so it's a distinct possibility. Either way, it doesn't sound like gulfarea encountered it in the 2016.

I'll update when/if I actually pull the unit. Unless and until I venture to more southerly climes, I'm really visualizing much better uses for that space! 
    2015 T@B S

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,361
    I have the fan AND silver taped baffles visible from the outside grill.  Would not want to remove the A/C and have to redo the tape.  Also, if memory serves, when I ran some wires behind the mirror in the bathroom, I recall the drip pan drain being in the center of the pan left to right (if facing the front of the T@B), and at the very front of the pan (front to back of the T@B).  The hose is clear plastic and can be seen in the wall next to the driver's side seat pedestal going into the floor. I can definitely see that same clear hose under the T@B in front of the driver's tire and about a foot towards the center of the trailer.  Therefore, it looks like the A/C drain does not go to the grey tank (at least on mine).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.