Options

Real skinny on A/C drain!

I just had to know so I removed the front wood frame, lifted the A/C out and gazed in! When I picked it up from the dealer a little water dripped on to the seat as the workers were cleaning it with A/C on but NOT the aux fan on. On my 2016 CS-S there is a very thin plastic drip pan with the drain to the right front of the trailer. It is large enough for any amount of water to pass IF the T@B is level or better still just 1 degree front down. The aluminum cage the A/C is in looks OK for the amount of weight of the A/C. To get the A/C out just lift up the front so the lower tabs can clear and slide out. This info is in case someone has to remove theirs in the future. The cord is long enough to let you set it on the seat below. Art
2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Thanks for solving the mystery! I presumed it was something like this but good to know for sure. Now, we just need photos. =)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TaB2goTaB2go Member Posts: 57
        Cool! Good to know. Thanks for the dismantle and we finally know what is behind the A/C leak, once an for all. Guess they need a bigger, deeper drip pan.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Double ditto! Thank you for letting us know we can easily remove the A/C if needed.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    Art - is it possible to remove the plug from the outlet? Mine looks like it's permanently installed.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    Outback the plug has the gfi attached but it can be unplugged then removed thru the electrical hole if you take out the screws holding the electrical box. So if you change out the a/c no problem. The big GFI plug will fit threw the hole with no cutting of wood. 
       I forgot to mention my A/C has a screen that slides in from the right side that is supposed to be cleaned every 2 weeks BUT it hits the shower wall! It is made of some kind of plastic that will bend so I did find I could bend it enough to get it in and out. Art
  • Options
    Thanks for the additional info Art.  Looks like the process is to remove the plug from the outlet, remove the outlet cover, then remove the single-gang electrical box from the outside of the wood wall, then finally pull the A/C extension cord through the opening left by the outlet box.  I may just take the A/C out next winter to save weight.  Just might put my microwave up there if it fits.
  • Options
    jctangneyjctangney Member Posts: 76

I thought I had read that the drain was on the driver/left side of the trailer, but Art above says it is at the front right. So, from his description we should make sure when leveling that the front right (door side) should be slightly lower. Is that correct?

As for back flushing it with compressed air, I thought I also read that now the A/C drains into the Grey water tank, so there would be no place to back flush it from.

As for the screen that should be cleaned every two weeks, it is not clear where that is or how to remove it. I am assuming you would need to remove the small wooden framing around the A/C and try to bend it around the right side and out. Is that correct? How hard is it to then get back in? Or is it easiest once the framing is off to at least partially pull the A/C out to clean that screen?

Still lots to learn, but appreciate all the good info here on the forum!

2016 T@B S Max, near Portland, OR

Photo Galleries www.pbase.com/jctangney

• Options
    jctangney said:

I thought I had read that the drain was on the driver/left side of the trailer, but Art above says it is at the front right. So, from his description we should make sure when leveling that the front right (door side) should be slightly lower. Is that correct?

The drain is on the same side as the a/c. It's amclear tube that is in front of the driver side tire. I think Art is thinking of the freshwater drain.

jctangney said:

As for back flushing it with compressed air, I thought I also read that now the A/C drains into the Grey water tank, so there would be no place to back flush it from.

I know someone suggested that but I don't believe it was ever validated. Personally, I am not sure I buy it, but I am wrong about something every day, so it could be true for newer models. Mine does not go to the grey water tank. Some have blown compressed air to unclog it.

jctangney said:

As for the screen that should be cleaned every two weeks, it is not clear where that is or how to remove it. I am assuming you would need to remove the small wooden framing around the A/C and try to bend it around the right side and out. Is that correct? How hard is it to then get back in? Or is it easiest once the framing is off to at least partially pull the A/C out to clean that screen?

Cleaning the screen every 2 weeks seems quite excessive. I clean mine 1x-2x per season and there has never been much dirt, even when I have camped in Utah in sandy areas.

Yes, you can bend it without having to remove the wooden frame, but it is easier if you remove the frame.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435

jctangney said:

Cleaning the screen every 2 weeks seems quite excessive. I clean mine 1x-2x per season and there has never been much dirt, even when I have camped in Utah in sandy areas.

Yes, you can bend it without having to remove the wooden frame, but it is easier if you remove the frame.

Ughh, I keep forgetting to do this. Anybody find mats of dog hair in there?
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Yes I thought every 2 weeks to clean the screen was a lot also but that's what the instructions for the A/C said. No I did not have to remove the frame to slide the screen out as it is like a nylon plastic material and flexible. It just slides out with your fingers to the right as you face it. The drain hole is under the A/C in the front right side, a tube runs down in between the shower wall in my 2016. I will look to try and see where it goes from there.
      Outback you worded the removal of the cord much more eloquently than I ever could, thanks for saying what I was trying to say. Art
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Good to know how to remove the AC. I've been thinking that spot might be a good place for a small microwave. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    We are still getting "drain is on the same side as the a/c" from Jenn, and "drain hole is under the A/C in the front right side" from Art. To me those are different places. Perhaps due to different model or year?

• Options
    jctangney said:
    We are still getting "drain is on the same side as the a/c" from Jenn, and "drain hole is under the A/C in the front right side" from Art. To me those are different places. Perhaps due to different model or year?
    I did not word that well, at all. It's in front if the tire on the driver side.

• Options
    Maybe I am misunderstanding, but you are still saying on the driver's side, which I think of as the left side. Art is saying "front right side". That is what is confusing me. So, which side of the trailer is the door on, the left or right? I think of it as on the right.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    jctangney said:
    Maybe I am misunderstanding, but you are still saying on the driver's side, which I think of as the left side. Art is saying "front right side". That is what is confusing me. So, which side of the trailer is the door on, the left or right? I think of it as on the right.
    It's much easier if you think in terms of "driver's side" and "passenger side". Much less confusing. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options

No argument with that, but when Art says the drain is on the front right side, where is that?

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I read Art's comment to be that the hole in the drain pan is towards the front passenger side of the pan, so having the T@B lower in front would facilitate draining into the hole instead of running out of the pan in the wrong place.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    That is how I read Art's comment as well, that it is on the front, passenger side. However, I read Jenn's comment as being on the front, driver's side. That is why I am wondering if there was a change in the 2016 versions.

• Options
    Sorry for any confusion I might have caused, the drain hole starts just under the A/C on its right side front. The drain tube seems to go straight down & that would be on the trailers left side or drivers side. The reason I stated it that way was to let folks know that for the A/C to drain best a very slight tilt forward & to the right (passenger side) tilt of the trailer would allow all of the water to drain out. The worst would be left tilt & rear tilt which would let water stay well away from the drain hole. Just a 1/2 degree tilt will make a lot of difference. Also noticed the aux fan is mounted just above the A/C in case inquiring minds want to know. Art
  • Options

Thanks for that clarification! So, when leveling the trailer, lower the front slightly, and the right (passenger) side slightly. Very useful info!

• Options
    ST_Bob said:
    By rights, Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers should be installing the drain pan with the trailer perfectly level (on the assembly line) and the drain hole/hose at the lowest point.  Tilting the trailer is not what you need to be doing - leveling it properly is what you should be doing.
    I don't tilt my T@b and I have never had an issue when level, even in high humidity.

• Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    jkjenn said:
    I don't tilt my T@b and I have never had an issue when level, even in high humidity.
    Well, there's level and there's "level." If you aren't exact, you need to lean toward a lean forward and lean to the right...
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    Bob if the drain pan was angled to the drain hole I would agree with you but it is perfectly flat with the drain hole forward in its own small depression. The water can collect at the rear & never make it to the drain hole if the trailer is even a degree to the rear. That's why I had water dripping down on my cushions even though the trailer seemed level to me. After removing the A/C and seeing the way it is I will make sure mine is a tad down forward when in high humidity conditions and A/C on. I am not telling anyone else what to do but after having water drip down I know how to stop it from happening again in my trailer. Thanks Art
  • Options
    The only time I had a leak was when I was not level and I try to get mine as level as possible.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Was there enough room to change out the drain pan? Just curious. I have not had any problems with the 2015 T@Bitha and might have the type of AC that uses the condensate to help cool the coils (I used to have one of those in my house - wasn't very efficient in a house). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    You guys are freakin' me out--I'm never touching that AC!

We don't have much need for it, anyway. I'm thinking of removing it and putting a door over the opening. With ventilation and a built-in drain, it might make a nice hamper for smelly, wet clothing. ;-) 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
     . . .or a pizza oven, cigar humidor, wine cooler . . .
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    Been a crazy trip on this thread! Enjoying it. Now for my question please: I've heard the AC may drain via tube thru the floor and then drips to ground. I've understood that you can see the tube in the wall if you remove the screwed in panel. Didn't see any tube there just two pvc pipes for the shower. So I'm assuming my AC somehow goes, as also heard, to the gray water tank. Wouldn't that require a tube running somewhere? Thinking of a need to blow it clean to prevent it from backing up water and causing a leak.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    KyBawpaw said:
    Been a crazy trip on this thread! Enjoying it. Now for my question please: I've heard the AC may drain via tube thru the floor and then drips to ground. I've understood that you can see the tube in the wall if you remove the screwed in panel. Didn't see any tube there just two pvc pipes for the shower. So I'm assuming my AC somehow goes, as also heard, to the gray water tank. Wouldn't that require a tube running somewhere? Thinking of a need to blow it clean to prevent it from backing up water and causing a leak.

Makes more sense to go outside and look. It should be in front of the driver side wheel. There is zero confirmation that it empties into the grey tank.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    KyBawpaw said:
    KYBawPaw, you cannot see the clear drain pipe from the screw-on panel. You should be able to see it when you lift the driver's side bench cushions and plywood. It will go down through the floor through the bottom plate of the shower wall. Then figure out where you are in relation to the underside and look for it underneath. The end of my tube was sitting on top of an I-beam of the frame, so it was hard to see. I had to feel for it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”