Options

Recharging Tab battery from TV

We are new Tab owners, two trips under our belt. We have a 2016 Subaru Outback, 2.5 L, and we are interested in having it wired so that it can recharge the battery in our 2014 Tab SMaxx while we drive. First question:  Is our Tab wired to receive a charge from the car battery? Second question: If so, how do we know that our car's electric system can handle this duty? This forum has been great - thanks so much!
McKinleyville, CA  T@b S Max Subaru Outback  "Poppy"

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    The T@B is wired to recharge from the TV.  The TV has to be wired to do the same, which is a "hot wire" running from the battery to the 7-pin socket, with an inline fuse.

Any TV can do it, factory installed tow packages usually come with an upgraded alternator to better handle this.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited March 2016
    Good advice above!

You can also charge your battery at home by purchasing a plug adapter for the power cord on your trailer. These are available at Walmart or places like Home Depot and Lowe's. Just look for a 30 amp plug adapter that matches the male end of your trailers power cord. This will allow you to plug the trailer into any electrical outlet in your garage. The electric converter on your trailer is basically a battery charger that will float the charge and maintain the health of the battery.

if you have a dedicated line run back from the cars battery and they don't install an isolator you can accomplish the same result (of not worrying about draining the car battery ) by always unplugging the trailers wiring harness from your tow vehicle.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Good advice above!

if you have a dedicated line run back from the cars battery and they don't install an isolator you can accomplish the same result (of not worrying about draining the car battery ) by always unplugging the trailers wiring harness from your tow vehicle.
    This is a good point. The battery isolator would be nice to have but is not need to have. I did not have one. Although I would have been comfortable having a non-Jeep shop install one on my Wrangler, I would not have a non-Jeep shop do that work for my Grand Cherokee due to all of the advanced electronics in the system as I am finding that non-Jeep shops do not understand the system.

Since my RV dealer would not install the isolator (something they didn't tell me until I was there for my T@b) I never got around to having it installed on my Wrangler and I have been fine unplugging it or using the battery on/off switch. Is there an exposure that I might forget? Sure, but if you make it a part of your routine I think your chances are pretty good.

Not saying you want to do this, but just throwing it out there in this discussion for posterity (aka, those who might do a future search.)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Obviously, if you unplug or switch off the battery, there will be no issue.  If the alternator is not running, and the TV battery is not switched off, the T@B will draw power from both batteries. I personally do not want to take the risk.  

Having said this, my biggest issue has been forgetting to turn off lights in the TV and having it drain...  I carry long battery cables to hook up the T@B to charge the TV from the T@B battery.   Saved me more than once when boon docking and foolishly forgetting to check the TV lights at the end of the day and facing a battery drained in the TV.  
  • Options
    ZTabZTab Member Posts: 18
    Thanks so much for everyone's comments. We're looking into taking the car to an automotive electrician. We are going to largely be camping at sites without shore power. I'm wondering if we get solar panels if we really need to do this. Does everyone feel that it is neccessary to install this hot wire option?
    McKinleyville, CA  T@b S Max Subaru Outback  "Poppy"
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ZTab said:
    Thanks so much for everyone's comments. We're looking into taking the car to an automotive electrician. We are going to largely be camping at sites without shore power. I'm wondering if we get solar panels if we really need to do this. Does everyone feel that it is neccessary to install this hot wire option?
    It depends on your camping style. If you take short trips and camp at locations with shore power, you probably can get by without it. The fridge will keep your food cool if left closed, for most of the day. If you like to boondock and take longer trips, than yes, you will probably want to arrive at camp with a full battery, especially if you are sticking with a 100ah battery.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    ST_Bob said:

Your best bet is to have the tow vehicle wired to provide power to the T@B for this purpose.  Plus, your battery will be mostly charged when you get where you're going.
    ST_Bob, what do you mean to have the TV wired to provide power to the T@B...? How is this different from the standard connection through the 7 pin?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    ST_Bob, I leave the choice of traveling with the propane on for the fridge to each owner, but I wish to point out, we have traveled in excess of 12,000 miles, from low altitude to over 10,000 ft with our T@B, with all highway time on propane.  Never a problem.  Possibly, because our TV was a 2 dr and now 4 dr Jeep Wrangler, we don't experience the failing of the fridge on propane.  The front vent design, has not been a problem for us.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    While we are on the subject of power supply adequate for a frig, does anyone have experience of running while driving a Tab installed ARB?  We hope to use an ARB as our permanent refrigerator using a Toyota Sienna as a TV.  Any thoughts?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    SAM said:
    While we are on the subject of power supply adequate for a frig, does anyone have experience of running while driving a Tab installed ARB?  We hope to use an ARB as our permanent refrigerator using a Toyota Sienna as a TV.  Any thoughts?
    I have an ARB in the back seat of my Tacoma. It has been in constant use since Jan 1, and it is doing just fine, keeping meat frozen on the bottom and lettuce fresh on the top. I use the 3-way frig for drinks, and leftovers, plus I keep two 1/2 gallon jugs of frozen water in there to help keep it cold during the day when I'm driving. 

The ARB would be my choice to be permanently installed, but I do like the added propane feature of the 3-way.  During nightly stops and multiple days at campsites, I run the ARB extension cord out the window and plug it into a 2nd Zamp plug on the tub of the T@B. It is such a miser on 12V. Love it'
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    SAM said:
    I haven't run my ARB in my T@B as yet (while on the road) as it rides inside my tow vehicle and is one of the lowest, if not the lowest amperage draw refrigerator/freezer units on the market and I have never had any power issues during any of my trips.  Some of the other frig units are energy hogs and have created issues, but you should be fine running your ARB and things should work out well by balancing your power needs during your trips.  If you don't have an owners manual for reference here is the ARB users guide I found on-line that gives the operating settings, helpful tips, etc.  
  • Options
    So Verna, it sounds like no problems running the ARB off the TV.  That is good because I am concerned about the lack of ability to charge a 2-way frig while driving a Toyota Sienna.  From everything I have read, the 2-way frig that comes with the CS models are power greedy.  Do you start off by cooling the ARB on shore power before turning it over to the TV?  Have you ever just hooked it up without pre-cooling? 
  • Options
    I pre-cool it at least overnight before a trip. I don't remember ever no pre-cooling it. I will have had ARB for 3 years this July. No camping trip without it!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I've run my ARB right out of the gate (stuck it in the TV without any pre-cooling), loaded it up with food and took off on a trip without any issues.  The ARB doesn't take long to cool down and given the frig contents are cool, it doesn't create any issues for preserving the contents placed into the ARB as it will get to the proper cooling temp in short order so that has never been an issue for me personally (e.g., no spoilage, no issues with perishables, etc.).

I had really become very trusting of my ARB and have run it overnight on my TV battery.  I did however get a bit lax and in a comfort zone if you will (thinking it would shut off on its own) last summer on my 5-week trip up to Alaska.  I found out that the ARB kept running for nearly two days before completely draining my vehicle battery and it was deader than a door nail.  With that said, check your settings and adjust them accordingly so that the ARB does shut off before it drains the vehicle battery, not allowing for the engine to turn over.  That was my prior point in the post above.  
  • Options
    Hey, @Michigan_Mike...look at the underside of your lid. I found the settings how-to directions are listed there. It sure made life easier so I didn't have to look them up in the manual or online. 

SAM, you only have to change the settings once. My ARB was 4 degrees off of actual temp, according to a known good thermometer. There is s setting to change this. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options

Thanks everyone.  Verna, I will make a note to look under the lid and measure for temperature accuracy.  Mike - what TV are you using when you do not pre-cool the ARB?  My biggest concern is if a 2015 Sienna will provide enough power for the ARB and Tab battery charge at the same time. 

Thanks,

Sharon

• Options
    SAM said:

Thanks everyone.  Verna, I will make a note to look under the lid and measure for temperature accuracy.  Mike - what TV are you using when you do not pre-cool the ARB?  My biggest concern is if a 2015 Sienna will provide enough power for the ARB and Tab battery charge at the same time. 

Thanks,

Sharon

I am currently driving a Chevy Equinox and am also looking for a new Silverado!  ;)
  • Options

@SAM, Michigan_Mike & I talked with Scott Hubble at LG about ordering a CS with the ARB and they wouldn't do it. They would, however, build a custom cutout for it if I gave them the measurements needed as well as install proper 12V  and 110V outlets to plug in the ARB. If you go that route, remember that the ARB brand slider rack pulls out lengthwise and there's not enough room in the CS galley to install it that way. You would have to install it widthwise and build a custom tray with sliders. I found another trailer company that has an ARB installed horizontally in their teardrop and they were willing to sell their slider-rack separately. I think it was around $300 - $400. We just opted to go with an Outback S and will run an LP hose to a camp stove for outdoor cooking. Let me know if you need more info.

• Options
    @ST_Bob, according to ARB, The average amp/hour draw of the different sizes are: 35liter - 0.85 a/h 47liter - 0.87 a/h 60liter - 0.89 a/h 78liter - 1.03 a/h.
  • Options

@ST_Bob, Michigan Mike and Verna may be able to provide more info on startup. My info came from ARB on 66 hr tests. In talking with the folks at ARB, they said on startup, a 50qt unit (the one I was looking at putting in the CS galley) on 12V may peak around 7 amps on startup but then quickly drop to 5.1 amps until it reaches the desired temp, then .87 to 1 amp to maintain. There are so many variables to get the contents to the desire temp, such as ambient temp, initial temp of the contents, etc. Hopefully Sam isn't looking to take a couple of cases of beer from 90F to 42F. Ideally he'd want to pre-cool the ARB and contents on 110V and then switch over to 12V.

• Options

@SAM, Michigan_Mike & I talked with Scott Hubble at LG about ordering a CS with the ARB and they wouldn't do it. They would, however, build a custom cutout for it if I gave them the measurements needed as well as install proper 12V  and 110V outlets to plug in the ARB. If you go that route, remember that the ARB brand slider rack pulls out lengthwise and there's not enough room in the CS galley to install it that way. You would have to install it widthwise and build a custom tray with sliders. I found another trailer company that has an ARB installed horizontally in their teardrop and they were willing to sell their slider-rack separately. I think it was around $300 - $400. We just opted to go with an Outback S and will run an LP hose to a camp stove for outdoor cooking. Let me know if you need more info.

Good to know.  My husband and I have discussed the need to turn the ARB sideways and are agreeable to that format.  I wonder if they would install the slider-rack if provided?  Hmmm.  Thanks for this info as we continue to plan our Tab.

Sharon

• Options

@ST_Bob, Michigan Mike and Verna may be able to provide more info on startup. My info came from ARB on 66 hr tests. In talking with the folks at ARB, they said on startup, a 50qt unit (the one I was looking at putting in the CS galley) on 12V may peak around 7 amps on startup but then quickly drop to 5.1 amps until it reaches the desired temp, then .87 to 1 amp to maintain. There are so many variables to get the contents to the desire temp, such as ambient temp, initial temp of the contents, etc. Hopefully Sam isn't looking to take a couple of cases of beer from 90F to 42F. Ideally he'd want to pre-cool the ARB and contents on 110V and then switch over to 12V.

Since Jan 1, my dual 6V golf cart batteries have used approximately .3V to .4V overnight. This includes phantom draws, the 50 qt ARB, the ignition for the 3-way fridge on propane, the ignition of the Alde on propane, interior lights, phone charging, and watching a basketball game or two. I have been without electricity for the most part since Jan 10th, until this week as I'm returning home from AZ.  (Maybe a total of 3 weeks with electricity at my campsite.)

The ARB is set for 27*, measured at the bottom of the inside. I have the factory insulating cover, plus I keep a reflective shield fitted to the passenger rear door window, and I have a flannel quilt over the ARB with a thick dog bed as the top layer. 

I have purchased groceries about every 7 to 10 days.  The meat is repackaged and put on the bottom (it freezes by the next morning) and veggies and salads are kept on the top of the other food and it can last a week or so.

The ARB is great!  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna, after a lot of research, we are sold on the ARB.  The closest in quality and efficiency is the Engel, but it is heavy and there are design flaws.  I am impressed that you can use it to freeze and refrigerate at the same time- a less expensive solution than a true combined compressor frig/freezer which we discovered in our planning.  As we plan to have GC batteries, I am glad to hear how little battery is being used!  I wonder if we should plan on using some kind of insulating ARB vest when installed in the CS galley?
  • Options
    Yes, SAM, I highly recommend the stock cover. Plus, if you can add Reflectex insulation, it will help. I have on occasion, put a windshield sun shield over the ARB when outside temps were over 90*. I have never had a "meltdown" occur--I just tried to help the ARB keep it's cool ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Does the 12 V and 110 plug mount fairly flush - just wondering how much space will be needed surrounding the ARB. 
  • Options
    The 12V plug is a cigarette lighter type plug, no, it's not flush. I cannot remember if the 110V plug is flush or sticks out. I'm not home yet and I cannot get to that plug right now. Ask
    me Monday and I can tell you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Verna, I have a Coleman refrig/cooler. While I know it's apples and oranges to compare the ARB to it, I was wondering if the brick on the 110V cord gets hot or warm for the ARB. It does on that cruddy little Coleman cooler. BTW, the Coleman worked well on long trips, but was an energy hog and couldn't be left plugged in. I might be making an assumption that the ARB has an unattached brick on the cord when it doesn't; however, the question sorta still stands. Does it get excessively warm to the touch near the vents? It sounds like a wonderful unit!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Verna, I have a Coleman refrig/cooler. While I know it's apples and oranges to compare the ARB to it, I was wondering if the brick on the 110V cord gets hot or warm for the ARB. It does on that cruddy little Coleman cooler. BTW, the Coleman worked well on long trips, but was an energy hog and couldn't be left plugged in. I might be making an assumption that the ARB has an unattached brick on the cord when it doesn't; however, the question sorta still stands. Does it get excessively warm to the touch near the vents? It sounds like a wonderful unit!
    There is no "brick", just cords since there is a compressor. There are air vents that must be kept pretty much unobstructed, but they are very forgiving in my back seat ;)

Ratkity, this ARB makes the difference between night and day, to have continual
    cold and/or frozen food. One super hot day, I put a bag of ice someone gave me in the ARB. I had ice in my water that day and the next. The guy said he needed more ice, so I gave jim his bag of ice back (minus some), and it was frozen solid (like straight out of the bagged ice machine). That is pretty good. I need to remember to put my small silicone ice trays in the ARB for cold drinks next winter. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    V, that sounds awesome!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Verna,  hubby found very detailed pictures of the ARB plug etc.  Now I know what we are dealing with.  There is a very nice plug-in remote temperature monitor, too.  Very well outfitted unit.