Options

If You Fall Off the Grid, Do You Still Exist?

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
No, I'm not dead, I didn't get lost but I did fall into a black hole for the last two weeks. For only the second time in nineteen months I've hit an area without cell coverage - for Verizon at least. At times it was total, at others a one-bar, 1x connection. When 1x, I could do some text messaging and access some text-based apps but forget about trying to access a website (you could cook a seven course meal in less time than it took for page loads). And no, my cell booster did not help.

Have finally arrived at my original destination (one of my favorites, Lone Pine, CA) but because of road construction which prohibits easy access to town for cell signal or wifi, I opted for a BLM campground (with great coverage) a few miles south of my preferred site in the boulder fields. Once caught up I may move over to my favorite for a bit before moving north - a lot of campgrounds north of here don't open till May 1st.

Speaking of catching up - The good news is the forum is a very active community. The bad news is the forum is a very active community. Other than just marking everything "read" and starting over, I'm not sure how to tackle all I missed. Maybe mark everything read and if you want my comment on something alert me to the thread via private message.

One of the reasons I ended up staying in the boonies for such a time (wasn't original intent) was because it was so dark I could play around with astrophotography. It's not something I'm interested in doing on it's own but will try to incorporate it into my regular photography when possible. And on my way here I did get some other photography done.

Lone Pine...

A shot along my route...

Once I head north I'm not sure what coverage I'll have - Never taken that route before.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Glad you're back in civilization. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    edited April 2016
    PXLated said:
    No, I'm not dead, I didn't get lost but I did fall into a black hole for the last two weeks. For only the second time in nineteen months I've hit an area without cell coverage - for Verizon at least. At times it was total, at others a one-bar, 1x connection. When 1x, I could do some text messaging and access some text-based apps but forget about trying to access a website (you could cook a seven course meal in less time than it took for page loads). And no, my cell booster did not help.

Have finally arrived at my original destination (one of my favorites, Lone Pine, CA) but because of road construction which prohibits easy access to town for cell signal or wifi, I opted for a BLM campground (with great coverage) a few miles south of my preferred site in the boulder fields. Once caught up I may move over to my favorite for a bit before moving north - a lot of campgrounds north of here don't open till May 1st.

Speaking of catching up - The good news is the forum is a very active community. The bad news is the forum is a very active community. Other than just marking everything "read" and starting over, I'm not sure how to tackle all I missed. Maybe mark everything read and if you want my comment on something alert me to the thread via private message.

One of the reasons I ended up staying in the boonies for such a time (wasn't original intent) was because it was so dark I could play around with astrophotography. It's not something I'm interested in doing on it's own but will try to incorporate it into my regular photography when possible. And on my way here I did get some other photography done.

Lone Pine...

A shot along my route...

Once I head north I'm not sure what coverage I'll have - Never taken that route before.
    Do you still exist? Depends on what you found in that cave/mine. Welcome back.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Would love to see your astro photos. And I'll bet there is a geocache in that mine - do you have coordinates?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    .....wow.....those photographs!
    Isn't being off the grid brilliant?
    I camped in the Adirondacks last summer at Lewey Lake near the center of Adirondack State Park. Lost all cell tower comms about 90 minutes drive south of the campground. ~perfect!~
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited April 2016
    I don't believe you still exist... :wink:

Nice photos, by the way, looking forward to more.  Good to see you safely on this side of civilization again.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    JustJohn - Nothin but bats.
  • Options
    Photomom - Didn't actually save the astro shots as I was just interested in what settings produced what. Will have to pull up my geotag and see what the coordinates were on that one.
  • Options
    Setup for shooting - Another cave bunker - Waiting for it to get dark...

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Was starting to worry.

Cool pix!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,445
    Aw, I thought you was just funnin' with us--maybe even posting controversial comments under an alter-ego while the real PXL took a break.  ;-)

Looking forward to photos of that seven course meal!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScotG - Brrrrrrrp, too late.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Cool!!! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    Wow! Gorgeous pictures!
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I was starting worry. Glad you are alive and well (and getting some good shots.)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I was the last forum member to see him in person. I thought I scared him away  B)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Jenn - Ended up taking a different route (because of road construction). Didn't plan on going dark. I've gotten so used to having great coverage (something I didn't expect originally) that when I fall off it's rather startling for a few days :-)

Verna - Na :-) ... You're only one of four forum members I've run into and met. Was sitting in a coffee shop in Lone Pine here and a T@B-CS passed by heading north. Almost ran into the street to see who it was.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Welcome back.
    We're heading south again in about a week, for Utah.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Sabel - Been watching the temps in that area, will probably make it there after a stop on the Mongolian Rim. Don't know when yet though. Want to head north from Lone Pine but temps are still in the 20s many nights. Safe travels.
  • Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    PXLated - Are you a fan of old mines?  Have you ever gone through Magdalena/Kelly, NM?  We have a neat old headframe designed by Gustav Eiffel (of Eiffel tower fame) and designed to be a kit by Andrew Carnegie.  A bunch of mine abandoned mine workings in this part of the Magdalena Mountains!  Great pictures!
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    PXL, seeing the generator in the first shot makes me wonder how often you have to service it camping in desert settings...oil changes, air filter cleanings.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Nerdy1 - Yes/no - I'm a fan of anything old - schools, churches, barns/farms. Like to camp where I shoot. I take what I come across. Visited an old mining town last week, dropped the T@B and drove up a very steep, mostly single lane gravel road to 8,000 ft. Could have spent a week up there shooting. Could have got the T@B up there but would have been a bear getting it back down so passed.
    I'll have to check that out on my next trip through NM.

The road down from the mine...

Steeper that the pics indicate - Stopped twice on the way dow to cool the brakes - never made it out of second gear on the way up once I hit the last 2/3rds of the climb.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    RZRBUG - It only comes out when I'm in a campground for a week or it's crappy weather - Have never had to add oil so far so zero service in 19 months.
  • Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    Wow!  That is some road and the view isn't bad either!
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Nerdy1 - 8 miles up and 8 back down - Mostly one lane with a few pull offs - Vehicle going up has right of way so there's plenty of opportunities for having to back up that sucker if you meet somebody - Owen's Lake, Sierras and Mt Witney out there in the background.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Great pics. I enjoy seeing your photography!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    kccatekccate Member Posts: 51
    Welcome back! I have not even met you, and I missed you!
    Cathy and traveling canines, 
    on the sunny side of the street
    2007 Dutchman T@B, C@te's Cr@te
    2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i
  • Options
    TaB2goTaB2go Member Posts: 57
      PXL- What great photos, your the man. Hope to maybe run in to you at tearstock. Your set ups are awesome, you are PXL after all. :)
  • Options
    JeanneJeanne Member Posts: 65
    Great shots. What do you use for your lighting?
    2014 T@B S Max, TV 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, Richland, WA
  • Options
    Jeanne - Various LED flashlights for the outside lighting and a strobe for inside. Multiple exposures layered together in a photo editing app.