Options

Anderson Leveler or Bal Leveler

We are going on Saturday to pick up our new T@B.  We've never owned one before and have done a lot of research on the topic of setting up for the camp sites. I have reviewed several posts that talk about the Anderson Leveler as well as posts that talk about the Bal Levelers.  I wanted to hear some pros and cons on each to determine which one may be right for us.  By the way, my wife and I will going out with the T@B, not looking for any solo trips.  So, there will be two of us to assist in the leveling process.  Anyway, I see where both are good products, just not sure which may be right for us.  I thank you in advance.

Marc & Janet
2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    If there will always be two of you, the Anderson may be the right choice. 

I have a BAL, which I love, but that is because I do a lot of solo trips.  It takes a lot of cranking to get the trailer level, it is an odd size and a challenge to store at times, and it is heavy.  But it is easy to use otherwise, and beats the blocks hands down.

The Anderson only works well if you have two people, one to drive the TV, and one to signal when it is level.  Nice thing is, it is as simple as backing up a foot, give or take, to get it level.  Then it is choked and done.  Takes seconds.  Also seems to be lighter and easier to store from what I can see.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

I'll throw another one in. I'm a solo camper and I love my Legos -- Stacking Leveler Blocks. They are easy to use with one or two people. I spent all winter in AZ and I never needed more than one package of 10, even though I did buy an extra 10 pack. Why are they called Legos? Because they connect together like Legos so that they stay in place. Right now, they're just under $30 on Amazon. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'll second Verna - I'm a blockhead all the way.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I first bought the Anderson level and then the BAL.  I camp solo, so leveling with the Anderson was a tedious, time-consuming process.  Hated it.  The BAL is a dream for one person, BUT as Cyclonic stated - it is heavy and takes a fair amount of effort to ratchet the tire up and down.  But it works great.  With two people, I'd go with the Anderson or Lego's.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    One warning on those Camcos - The glass tube will pop out if the T@B twists - especially the one on front. I'm on my 3rd or 4th set. I have mine on the outside - Verna has hers on the inside and hasn't had the problem.
    Also, the thing that runs best being level is the fridge and it may be off a little from the frame or floor. I get my fridge level and then apply the Camcos.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated warned me the glass tubes popped out occasionally when mounted outside, so I mounted the side to side level just above the fridge, and the front to back leveler under my water pump switch to the left of the sink. Both are clearly visible from the door and make leveling a breeze. As PXLated said, neither have moved, not have the tubes popped out. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have the stick on levels. They loose their color over time.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Wow Bob, those are spendy - Think I'll stuck with the small cheap ones :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Wow Bob, those are spendy - Think I'll stuck with the small cheap ones :-)
    They are huge, too!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,448
    Speaking of cheap, anybody using this set-up?  ;-)

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Bob - No need ... Gotta get out of the TV to get the blocks anyway so can check then.

Back into site, get out, check left/right level (each tickmark on the Camco = one block, retrieve and lay down necessary blockitudes, back on and bingo, done. Unhitch, crank jack for front to back leveling. One thing that comes in handy is a half inch block/board for a fine tune since the blocks are one inch. Putting a wheel chock down prevents you from backing to far and off the blocks. If one is on real soft sand it might take one extra as the first block sinks to subsurface.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    One vote for BAL...but I use a portable drill and 3/4" socket (with adaptor)...level in seconds!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    One vote for BAL...but I use a portable drill and 3/4" socket (with adaptor)...level in seconds!
    You use a drill for the BAL? What voltage?

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    You use a drill for the BAL? What voltage?

Yeah - what voltage indeed?  My 18V cordless poops out with the BAL.  Works great on the stabilizer bars, tongue jack and drill bit for tent stakes.
  • Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    I love my BAL.  Yes it is a bit of a workout, but I like that I don't have to try to get it on blocks.  I am a newbie to driving the trailer.  Just place and crank. 
    T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    Nerdy - The key for a newby and blocks is placing a wheel chock so you can't fall off the backside when backing on. I'm sitting up on a five high with no choke but I've done it probably 250 times over the last year and a half. :-)
    The biggest advantage with blocks is you can level without unhooking, even use them to raise the back of the vehicle if need be. Most versatile leveling system there is.
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    Another happy Bal uuser here
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    This 18V Bosch has a ton of torque; I use it for the stabilizers as well as the BAL.  I thought about getting a cordless impact wrench (one of the few tools I don't have), but they're a little noisy, plus not quite as versatile as the drill.

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    That looks like the type of socket used for changing spark plugs. I think I have one of those. I should do that even to just get it started. It would save me a few cranks.

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    BAL here.  Durango what adaptor are you using for use with the 3/4 socket?  'Having trouble visualizing that. 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    PXLated said:

The biggest advantage with blocks is you can level without unhooking, even use them to raise the back of the vehicle if need be. Most versatile leveling system there is.
    I have done this with the BAL with no problem.  I image it would be the same with the Anderson.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Nathan - Yes when it's a simple left to right but if you need front to back you can't unless you have two BALs for the T@B. If the TV/hitch needs to be higher, the BALs won't work cuz they won't fit the TV or lift it so you're SOL. Believe me, I've been in every config possible and I do mainly one nighters (hitched) when out shooting for three months. If there was anything that would consistently work better than blocks, I'd have it.
    If you're style of camping is mainly in campgrounds or always on relatively level ground BALs or Andersons will work for ya but there's nothing more versatile than blocks.

• Options
    It's a 1/4" shank to 3/8" drive (most common) socket adaptor...any Home Depot and most hardware stores would have it.  The socket is 3/8" drive, 3/4" deep-well...as I remember a standard depth didn't work as well.  Jenn...I believe spark plug sockets are a slightly different size.

Typical adaptor:
    http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW2542-4-Inch-8-Inch-Adapter/dp/B0000225P5/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1461279237&sr=8-3&keywords=3+8+socket+drill+adapter

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    Durango - what model Bosch is that?
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    You all sure are loyal to your levelers. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Outback...it's the Bosch 620, 4.0Ah, 18v, Li ion..  I have 4 drills...DeWalt, Festool, Milwaukee, and this.pone is my go-to tool.  When I took early retirement in 2005, I started my own cabinet/furniture making business, so I had those smaller voltage, but bigger battery, drills.  But with li-ion batteries you get more power and less weight.

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    PXLated said:
    Nathan - Yes when it's a simple left to right but if you need front to back you can't unless you have two BALs for the T@B.

Simple left right is all I need camping in a Walmart, which is pretty much the only time I don't unhitch.

Again, it really comes down to what kind of camping you are doing.  PXLated, you are camping in unusual circumstances for most folks with a T@B.  Sure, there are others like you, but most folks are going to set up in a campground or someplace a little less off the grid, even when boondocking, then you.  Most folks are going to want an easier solution that fits the kind of camping they are doing.  I think the original poster has already decided they would like either a BAL or an Anderson, since that was the question.  Going around and around about the virtues of blocks really is not answering the question, it is just saying how awesome you think blocks are.

I will stick by my answer, I love my BAL, but I think with their described circumstances the Anderson will serve them better.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Nathan - Yes when it's a simple left to right but if you need front to back you can't unless you have two BALs for the T@B. If the TV/hitch needs to be higher, the BALs won't work cuz they won't fit the TV or lift it so you're SOL. Believe me, I've been in every config possible and I do mainly one nighters (hitched) when out shooting for three months. If there was anything that would consistently work better than blocks, I'd have it.
    If you're style of camping is mainly in campgrounds or always on relatively level ground BALs or Andersons will work for ya but there's nothing more versatile than blocks.

If it's just one night overnight, it doesn't have to be front to back level for me. The Norcold works on LP as long as it's side to side level and I would not be using the a/c when boondocking.

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited April 2016
    It's a 1/4" shank to 3/8" drive (most common) socket adaptor...any Home Depot and most hardware stores would have it.  The socket is 3/8" drive, 3/4" deep-well...as I remember a standard depth didn't work as well.  Jenn...I believe spark plug sockets are a slightly different size.

Typical adaptor:
    http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW2542-4-Inch-8-Inch-Adapter/dp/B0000225P5/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1461279237&sr=8-3&keywords=3+8+socket+drill+adapter
    Thanks Durango. Does this look right for the socket? -Sally

Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Nathan - Yes, I go places most won't but I've been in campgrounds in the Black Hills, Joshua Tree, etc. where you find the same circumstances so it's not necessarily unique to my boondocking. All I've been saying is that the blocks give you the most flexibility. I could actually care less what others use :-)
    Photomom - Yep - This discussion/argument happens on a regular basis. New members ask, everyone responds :-)