Options

Anderson Leveler or Bal Leveler

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Bought a Ryobi driver last night for the BAL (1,800 in-lbs. torque).  Worked fine jacking up the T@B about two inches, then stopped.  Noticed new metal shavings around the base and that some ridges in the worm screw were worn almost flat. Bought it used, but it was in perfect shape at the time.  However, the four times I've used it since were in areas of sand, gravel and dirt.  I'm guessing some serious grit made its way into the worm screw ridges.  Would not want to have this thing seize-up with the T@B raised out in the boonies, so back to the Anderson leveler for me.  I'll also try the Lego's.  So if you have the BAL, clean and inspect after each trip.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Outback...we had the same problem (the Southwest is dusty!), and I ended up contacting BAL and getting a new "screw".  Works MUCH better, and I'm careful to keep dust out (I use a piece of foam pipe insulation).

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Might as well jump into the fray - I bought the Camco Lego style blocks (along with a few other things I'll need as soon as my T@B comes) and now I see that there are chocks that you use with the leveling blocks. I've been wondering how you keep from backing up onto the blocks and down the other side. Good idea?

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44401-Leveling-Block-Wheel/dp/B007H2TF4Q/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1461336807&sr=8-8&keywords=Camco+leveling+blocks
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    OutbackAZ said:
    Bought a Ryobi driver last night for the BAL (1,800 in-lbs. torque).  Worked fine jacking up the T@B about two inches, then stopped.  Noticed new metal shavings around the base and that some ridges in the worm screw were worn almost flat. Bought it used, but it was in perfect shape at the time.  However, the four times I've used it since were in areas of sand, gravel and dirt.  I'm guessing some serious grit made its way into the worm screw ridges.  Would not want to have this thing seize-up with the T@B raised out in the boonies, so back to the Anderson leveler for me.  I'll also try the Lego's.  So if you have the BAL, clean and inspect after each trip.
    That is definitely a bigger problem in the SW than it is in the east. The sand is so fine, it functions as an abrasive. Also the grease dries out, quickly.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Thanks Durango. I'll give BAL a call today.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Photomom - Once you get some practice, you'll be able to back onto a 4-5 stack dead center without the chocks :-)

• Options
    OutbackAZ / DurangoTaB - Had the lock mechanism on my wheel lock get filled with fine sand. Not fun getting that off. Thought I was going to have to jack the trailer up and take the whole wheel off - Imagine a stuck BAL would cause the same indigestion :-(
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep Scott, that looks just like our set-up! Or we'll use the BAL Leveler, whichever is easier for the specific campsite.
    ScottG said:
    Speaking of cheap, anybody using this set-up?  ;-)

Keep in mind that those cheapie levels that are sometimes sold for RVs aren't necessarily level. I think China is metric, so they probably have a different version of 'level'. B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    For just a little more money, you can get the professional version:

2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    LOL Scott!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited April 2016
    Outback...we had the same problem (the Southwest is dusty!), and I ended up contacting BAL and getting a new "screw".  Works MUCH better, and I'm careful to keep dust out (I use a piece of foam pipe insulation).
    Must.resist.screw.comment........ omg, I think I drank too much coffee this morning!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    For just a little more money, you can get the professional version:

I don't care who you are - THAT's funny!
  • Options
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    The T@B was our first RV, purchased on short notice. I had no idea (but should have guessed) there was so much bling available to, eh... enhance the experience. So, I just threw a few boards in the back of the truck and went campin'.

The BAL leveler looks cool, but a little cumbersome for my tastes. However, I can see its advantage for someone setting up solo. I am eyeballing PXL's lego block thingies with interest, as they seem convenient and compact. I'll probably throw down for some once I wear out my 2x10s!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Love my BAL!
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    nancentinanancentina Member Posts: 17
    The BAL is fool proof, carrying it around is a pain but it works so great. We used it for our Casita and we bought one again for the T@B

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    This 18V Bosch has a ton of torque; I use it for the stabilizers as well as the BAL.  I thought about getting a cordless impact wrench (one of the few tools I don't have), but they're a little noisy, plus not quite as versatile as the drill.

Gotta say, I could not resist this.  I got a socket adapter and worked like a charm with my 20v DeWalt.  I never tried because I didn't think it could do it, but no problems.  As others have said, keep the screw clean of dirt and greased, and it works great.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    My only advice is to be a little careful...these new drill drivers (and I assume impact drivers) have so much torque you could sprain a wrist or wrap some fingers into the side of the T@B, so be careful when first doing this!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I am using a regular drill.  A drill/driver is something I have always kinda wanted but never really had a need for.  The cordless drill though?  I love that thing.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I used to use a drill for my stabilizers, but broke one of the "corner steady nuts" using it, so now I just crank by hand. I also still use the wrench provided with the BAL leveler. The drill just turned out to be one more thing to carry. I've been lucky the last few parks, didn't need to adjust too much.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL