Options

Which Trailer Lock Do You Recommend?

BertBert Member Posts: 87
edited April 2016 in Tips & Tricks
We'd like to find our 2016 Tab Outback Max S at the campground when we return from our outings. A Youtube video shows how easy it is to pry off the coupler lock we have been using:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMu_GnNnnBE

I see from previous posts some foks use a Trimax wheel lock. The Brahma wheel lock seems pretty sturdy as does Proven Industries coupler lock (might still be possible to pull the trailer, but probably too much trouble). These products all cost more than $200, all are heavy and a the wheel locks are pretty bulky. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited April 2016
    From various vids, it shows that if determined, no hitch lock will save you. They'll just hitch it up via chain and drag it off.
    A wheel lock makes it more difficult as they have to take the wheel off and put on a spare. Two wheel locks would make it extremely difficult as they'd need an extra spare. All would take a lot of time.
    About the only way I figure they could get around two wheel locks is to jack it up and slide a dolly underneith - more time, more noise, less likely.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Yes, I went with 2 wheel locks and ., I guess ,  a breakable hitch lock... Probably skipping the locking lug nuts..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Are the wheel locks breakable, too?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I imagine anything is breakable but haven't personally seen anything posted - on the other hand, I haven't searched. I suppose one could enclose their T@B in a gorilla cage so they'd need a blowtourch and a few hours.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Now I'm trying to remember where I saw a storage business, with large and tall garage doors on some of them.......it wasn't open yet. Getting up at 2 am to go play in the woods is messing up my memory.....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I have the same Trimax.  Probably take 30 seconds with an angle grinder to come off.  At least they'd have to make some noise to do it.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    Nothin's protected with an angle grinder - Even a gorilla cage.
  • Options
    TeardropTeardrop Member Posts: 2
    Are people getting these stolen off their driveways or from campsites?

I use wheels locks, trimax lock and the proven industries lock and a two way re-purposes car alarm with a tilt sensor, proximity sensor and shock sensor.  I seen the video above and have 2 of those locks that is on kijiji now.
  • Options
    ST_Bob - Those just looked too ungainly to me. Look like they take up too much room.
    To be honest, the only time I use the boot is out in the boonies, never in a campground.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The Proven Locks are supposed to have a place to lock the chains as well. That doesn't preclude a thief from providing his own chains and towing it away.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    How 'bout pulling the brake pin out (besides these locks)?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Pulling my brake pin wouldn't kill the batter since I store the T@B with the battery cutoff switch turned off.  Makes me wonder...do I have to have the battery cutoff turned on before towing (for the brakes) or does the 7-pin connection provide power for the brakes if the pin is pulled?  I usually switch the battery on...but only for charging the battery while towing.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    How 'bout pulling the brake pin out (besides these locks)?
    That's what I've been thinking of, pulling out the breakaway pin. However, it would only work if the thief hooked the lights up. Which they probably wouldn't do. I've also thought of stinging a heavy chain from wheel to wheel.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Ok, so much for the brake pin.
    So far, looks like wheel locks are in the lead.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Bobbo said:
    The breakaway brake is SUPPOSED to be hooked directly to the battery, not through the disconnect.

Pulling the breakaway pin SHOULD run the battery down tout sweet. (That's French for PDQ.)

Yeah, your right, I don't store my batteries in the trailer anyway. They're in the garage. So much for THAT idea.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I still think we need to figure out a good way to lock all 4 stabilizers down. Be tough to tow it that way.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    bbrimmsbbrimms Member Posts: 8
    Bottom line. Where there's a will there's a way. Thieves will figure out a way. Best we can do is to make it a little hard on them. I just have a heavy chain and lock 
    2016 CS-SMax T@B. ~BB and B
  • Options
    Bobbo - That sounds pretty clever :-)
  • Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2016
    Hey Bob O crazy as it sounds but back in the day when we stored for long periods I would jack high enough set on blocks let air out of tires so they would be flat but looked normal. If thief pulled off it would come off block buy have flat tires. They would generally leave at that point. Especially when the sound of it coming off blocks. But again when they want something there taking it no matter how you try to protect it. INSURANCE is the best lock.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    Since looking for motorcycle security, I've learned a lot of things in the past couple months. Then our poor community has had two campers stolen so close together. Many of the motorcycle forums and blogs suggest a layered security as GPS, hitch locks, tire locks and lug nuts are so easily circumvented (and disc brake alarms - something not made for the camper).

The casual thief doesn't want to spend more than 30 sec getting something he has his eye on to get easy money. The professional will know how to circumvent GPS trackers by RF sniffers and removing batteries (plus some trackers need line-of-sight), hitch his chains up and ride down the road with the boot lock on until the tire flattens out and the boot falls off. I guess we've all seen the videos and heard how that one hitch lock type is circumvented. Tonight I just tossed my identical one to it and put on a newer, sturdier one.

Most blogs say to have layered systems - visible deterrents (good hitch lock and wheel boot) AND lighting AND home security AND trackers. Lastly, have insurance for theft.

I was bewildered to find out that if a pro has his eye on something, not much is going to stop him. But casual thieves that see two wheel boots (preferably different brands or types of boots) and a hitch lock will not bother with a unit that is sitting next to the house - especially if a security light comes on and a camera (even fake) is visible. Chains need to be off the ground so breaking them is more difficult and then wrap around the tongue. If this is in your driveway, consider an anchor point in the concrete and get a decent ($200) chain. Padlocks need to be the beefy type made for atv's and motorcycles. All half-decent (non-drunk/drugged)  thieves carry decent bolt cutters, but not many carry 45lb+ 4 ft ones that are required to break those heavy chains and padlocks. The casual thief will move onto something easier to steal. 

For the camper, I'm still looking at two different wheel boots in addition to the hitch lock and a hidden tracker if I can find a place where it still can emit a signal, but still reach it to change the batteries. For the motorcycle, different disc brake locks (one at least alarmed), a cover (not helpful for campers), possibly an anchor for chain and padlock that would be appropriately annoying for the casual thief. I can't stop a pro, but I can be annoying as heck to the rest. Already have lighting and a truck in front of both... still. Mah babehs! *tries to reduce paranoia by eating oreos - double stuffed*
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Love the Oreo solution....

The GPS tracker I put in has a battery that will last a bunch of days, I fergit how many, after the trailer battery has been disconnected. IOW, it's powered by the Tab battery, but has it's own battery when the Tab battery fails.

That being said, I buried it so deep in the Tab that it'll be a real pain to pull it out to change the SIM when I get a different service provider - drat! B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I'm sorry Chan, I must have missed the post where you named the tracker you use (no need for "where you hid it" information though!). Could you post that again? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I put in the TK104 unit. It's available under a ton of 'manufacturer' names, but probably the guts of them are all made by one Chinese company. I went with the TK104, rather than the TK102, because of battery life. Check Amazon. edit: here's the link to the brand I got.

I think the various Chinese resellers will put their own software in there, enabling various functions. Some get better reviews than others. I went with the one that was popular on a GPS geek forum.

It has an external antenna port, a power port, and microphone connection (so you can listen to the meth lab workers after they've got it all set up. B-)

I've attached the user manual here for you to check out. It's a pain to follow the Chinese translation, but once you understand it, it works well.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Thanks Chan! Very helpful!
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Still waiting for my trailer (LG says should ship "any day now") and I've tried to be cautious about buying too much stuff ahead, but you all make me nervous about even parking on my own driveway. I just ordered a wheel chock lock and a coupler lock (not the bad one in the video!) We already have a lock to secure the tongue to the hitch we used with our little boat trailer. 

Now, is there a kind of alarm that sounds like a barking dog?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    A very angry, territorial dog and the voice of a Grandpa with a double barrel on the front porch saying "You are in range" with the sound of the cocking shotgun..... *sigh*
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Which SIM Card did you purchase?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I got the AT&T SIM on their GoPhone prepaid plan, but last Fall (last I checked) a more flexible plan was available through H2O Wireless.

AT&T required a 3 month minimum renewal, where H2O Wireless offers a month to month plan using ATT's tower network. Edit: H2O is not offered month to month now, but much cheaper, about $3 / month.

Again, I referred to the GPS 'geeks' discussions at gpspassion.com to see what the 'pros' thought. Might be other forums too. Howardforums.com is a good source of discussion about cell plans.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya