Options

Which Trailer Lock Do You Recommend?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Holy camoly that thing is huge. I suppose you cound wrap it around your spare when traveling.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ROFL PXL!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I know, you could be the one but what are the chances your T@B will get stolen - Probably less than winning the lottery. 
  • Options
    rhaspyhonkerrhaspyhonker Member Posts: 33
    I decided that the wheel lock was the best deterrent.  This is the Brahma wheel lock.  Its about 38 lbs of solid steel and barely fits on the passenger side of my t@b max s. $280 includes shipping.  It's patented and they have sold about 8000 units with no lost trailers to date. It's a bit tricky to get it on the wheel without scratching the fender but it fits. Now that I have done it a couple times, it is fairly simple to attach... just keep up on your weight lifting workouts when you aren't camping. It's the smaller model 002 with the shallow hub cover.  
  • Options
    Picture here of Brahma in action
  • Options
    planobenzplanobenz Member Posts: 18
    I use a Brinks 5/8" cable lock from Walmart (around $21).  Stick it thru the wheel and around the axel. A bolt cutter has a lot of trouble cutting cable and you can't get the wheel off.  Have used this for years to keep my motorcycle trailer and bikes on the trailer intact.

I also installed a Kryptonite Stronghold Anchor in my driveway.  Chain the axel to it. Heard some rattling in the driveway that set the dogs off one night.  So, I guess it was too much trouble and noise.

Plano TX, 2017 T@B S Max Sofitel, 2017 Honda Ridgeline
  • Options
    BooRadleyBooRadley Member Posts: 39
    We use a heavy duty bike chain (Kryptonite) strung through the wheel, then locked to our spare propane tank. It would be really hard to drive it very far with the tank on the wheel...and no doubt a little explosive.
    2016 Outback
  • Options
    My dad likes to build all his own stuff.  It helps that he can weld and has the facilities and tools to do so.  He took the trimax wheel lock idea and added an extra piece on the back to hook around the axle. 
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited August 2016
    Photomom said:

Now, is there a kind of alarm that sounds like a barking dog?
    Yes.  My father-in-law bought one more than twenty years ago. Sounded real. Uses microwaves to trigger the bark.  Microwaves allows the device to see through walls.

Example, not the exact model my father-in-law uses. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qduc6Vhng1s

Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    I'm having a hard time finding a lock to use on the Atwood type coupler that's on my Outback MaxS for when I'm traveling with the trailer attached to the TV. Thanks for any help you might give.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @source3, my little 13 lb Shih Tzu, Sunny Day, came running to me with that barking alarm!  I do believe it reminded both of us of when she was attacked by a Germsn a Shepherd ;(
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    GranmasKid, I use a pin type that fits into the hole all the through right behind where the lift latch on the receiver is. It has a key, and simply turns with the key in until it contacts with the two sides where the hole is. Then you turn a little, and remove the key. Fits quite snugly on the two sides of the receiver. Also used the same one when I had my tent trailer. You should be able to find it at a trailer supply store. Sometimes you can buy a set, one for the receiver, and one for the hole in the hitch itself where it goes in to your tow vehicle. Hope this helps, and is what you are looking for. Might check Amazon for the same type application. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    Thanks ericnliz. I did find one on Amazon. My local big box hardware store had a boatload of locks but none would fit so I came away a bit frustrated. Finding a good one on-line wasn't easy. The reviews for most of them said they were easy to break and/or corroded quickly. I ended up ordering this one-
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    GrandmasKid - Several threads on security - Basically, nothing's totally secured.
    You can lock the hitch - a thief wraps a chain around the tougue and drives off - videos on YouTube.
    So, you put on a wheel lock - thief removes wheel, uses your spare and drives off

Lug nut locks, dual wheel locks and a hitch lock might stop them - of course, even then they could drag it onto a flatbed.

Each method just slows them down and makes it a less likely target. If all fails, there's the finale - insurance claim.

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I installed alarm switches on my entry door, clam shell door, & propane locker top lid. If the trailer is moved 1 foot the alarm sounds. That's the best I can do. It was hard running the wiring where it could not be seen or cut but I finally got it done.
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    I've gotten less worried about security unless I'm remotely boondocking where the T@B is sitting out by itself. In campgrounds I just use the hitch lock as it seems everyone kinda looks out for each other. Probably more vunerable in ones driveway or on the street at night.
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I am using the Proven industries lock that is shown at the top of this discussion.  They make a model that fits the Atwood hitch.  It also secures the safety chains.  I also have the Trimax wheel lock.  I use the hitch lock all the time and add the Trimax if I will be leaving the trailer for long periods of time.  Mostly this is a show of force that will hopefully cause whoever to look for an easier target.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    @lapowers57, can you tell me how the chains are locked? There were no instructions in my Atwood hitch from Proven Industries. It is one hefty lock!! Those Trimax locks are pretty weighty too. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    Do the 2017 units have a 2" Atwood Yolk Latch Coupler? Mine is still not delivered so I can't see the latch to comparing the pictures on Proven Industries website. 
  • Options
    Ratty - check the photo.  You basically wrap the chains around the end of the hitch. One from the port side and one from the starboard side and then slip the lock housing on over it.  It is a little tricky to get the chains to lay flat enough but once you get the hang of it it is easy.

2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    Oh, I see now. Not as complicated as I was making it! Thanks!
  • Options
    Which size would I need to order? 2017 Outback still in production. 
  • Options
    You would need to know what hitch you have and then look at their web site.  The make them base on the ball size and hitch.

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Seems to me that if the stabilizers were extended and locked somehow it would make it difficult to steal.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    leenscottfl - Even if not locked it would definetly complicate things - they'd need a slotted crank, a std wrench wouldn't get them very far.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I suspect someone stealing it for a meth lab wouldn't care if the stabilizers scraped on the road. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Sorry, I know this is a serious topic, but I can't see the T@B counter space being all that conducive to a decent lab setup - meth or mad scientist-wise! :lol:
  • Options
    Are all the T&B couplers the same? Are they all Atwood 2" type? Again I'm awaiting delivery so I can't compare to pictures on Proven Industries website. I would like to order a locking  device prior to delivery. The 2017 I assume are the same as 16 models etc. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Are all the T&B couplers the same? Are they all Atwood 2" type? Again I'm awaiting delivery so I can't compare to pictures on Proven Industries website. I would like to order a locking  device prior to delivery. The 2017 I assume are the same as 16 models etc. 
    Don't assume.....that's why I have a wireless brake controller for sale. My T@B came with surge brakes and doesn't use electric brakes. 

Honestly , you can order a lock and have it delivered in two days. Be patient and don't buy until you know for sure. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Not sure I'd want a cute, attention getting T@B for a meth lab - I'd steal that plain vanilla, white cargo trailer down the street :-)