Options

Which Trailer Lock Do You Recommend?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ahhh, that cute little T@G that was stolen in Texas was used for a meth lab. That's why the insurance company totaled it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited August 2016
    Idiots - Must have been using their own product - They should have gotten the white cargo trailer - more room. :-)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, You said it in a nutshell! Idiots is putting it lightly though. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Ratkity said:
    Sorry, I know this is a serious topic, but I can't see the T@B counter space being all that conducive to a decent lab setup - meth or mad scientist-wise! :lol:
    The new "one-pot" labs take almost no space - basically all you need is a 2 liter soda bottle.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom sounds experienced ;-)
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Perhaps not Photomom but sparks flying should get the attention of the law. Just suggesting a little hinderance. Like others have said if they want it they will get it.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    With the stabilizers down it would be impossible to move unless they were cut off -- or unless you just drag it with chains!
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    They are easy to unbolt though.
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    My new 2017 MaxS Outback has the Atwood coupler and the Proven Industries lock for it is huge, but I feel good about it. I'm able, with some effort, to wrap the chains around the coupler before slipping the lock over. I twist the chains up to the coupler then flatten the out around the coupler before sticking the hooks to the verticle slots on the tonge. Sure a thief could figure a way to hook their own chains to my chains but it wouldn't be easy. This along with my Trimax wheel lock on the wheel with the lug bolt locks on should slow them down considerably. I'm hopeful that besides being thieves the bad people are also lazy. And yes, I'll put those stabilizers down.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    You just want to make yours harder to steal then the one next to it.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    My new 2017 MaxS Outback has the Atwood coupler and the Proven Industries lock for it is huge, but I feel good about it. I'm able, with some effort, to wrap the chains around the coupler before slipping the lock over. I twist the chains up to the coupler then flatten the out around the coupler before sticking the hooks to the verticle slots on the tonge. Sure a thief could figure a way to hook their own chains to my chains but it wouldn't be easy. This along with my Trimax wheel lock on the wheel with the lug bolt locks on should slow them down considerably. I'm hopeful that besides being thieves the bad people are also lazy. And yes, I'll put those stabilizers down.
    The thief who wants my trailer will need to work it at a while as I have two wheel boots, stabilizers are always down, I have a lock through the locking tongue latch hole and a lock on the front tongue.  

He'd be better off to ask to rent the trailer for a weekend!  smilie
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    rhaspyhonkerrhaspyhonker Member Posts: 33
    What type of wheel boot are you using, MI Mike?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Tacomaguy - When I do lock my gen, I use a 3/4" carbon fiber cable and I do it to the steel frame.
    I don't have the outback platform but if I did, I wouldn't secure to that, aluminum cuts like butter :-)
  • Options
    Tacomaguy - Anything can be cut if you have a big enough cutter but you're probably not getting thru it without a monster. Bought it at Walmart.
  • Options
    Yep - Have two, The shorter 3/4 and a longer 1/4 for my solar - Don't use either often though.
  • Options
    Some Walmarts do, others don't -- The one I was in today didn't have any carbon fiber and only about a third of the camper/RV gear.
  • Options
    Hmmmm - That's where I got it but can't recall which one or where as I''ve had them awhile and I've probably been in 50-100 Walmarts over the last two years. I remember it was in the tools area but not by the padlocks.
    Maybe they quit carrying them.
  • Options
    I actually don't think one needs the carbon fiber - was pretty expensive. A 3/4" twisted steel is pretty strong. Saw those in Walmart today.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    OK, anyone know if this Masterlock will fit the tongue latch holes on a 2017 CS?  Michigan Mike - is this the kind you use?  Seems like it should be tight enough to prevent room for bolt cutters.  

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81andwPLexL._SL1500_.jpg

Any suggestions for a tongue lock that would be a decent deterrent?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @SAM, there's a YouTube video showing that one being knocked off by either a hammer or a crowbar. But go ahead and use it, as long as you use another lock inside your tongue, put your stabilizers down and have a tire lock. Make it harder to take than the one down the street!  

Seriously, I use the four things I mentioned and with that, I have given all the effort I can. If a thief wants it badly enough to defeat those 4, I do have good insurance. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    OK.  I just looked at a You Tube video advertising the Megahitch Lock Coupler Vault.  I admit defeat.  So, is a lock in the tongue latch holes there to make sure someone in a parking lot doesn't disconnect the trailer from the TV?  Is that all it is good for?

We have a tire lock and a locking receiver pin, so I thought we should add one more method of difficulty.  Locking lug nuts?  If so, what size fits on a CS?

Thanks!
  • Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    edited April 2017

LAYERED is the key. I use a simple GPS dongle, A Trimax wheel lock, locking lug nuts, locking tongue pin and tongue ball lock. If they want it that bad......it's insured and I'll buy a new one. At home the cameras/ lights and the Trimax detour the common thief. Out boondocking, I want to make it noisey and about 45 min of messing around to get it out of camp.

Off topic: With the classic cars/Harley I pull the coil wire and keep it in my pocket at dinner, market etc. I use a 3/4 diameter soft sheathed cable lock through a wheel and wear it around my shoulder on the bike or toss it on the pass floor of the classics. Again, after that it's insured.

• Options
    Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    edited April 2017
    Is it the Proven Industries Model 2178-A (Fits 2'' Atwood Yoke Latch Couplers) that fits the T@B Coupler?

2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180

Yes it is.  I love mine and feel very comfortable leaving it behind.

Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I have a 2" ball Atwood Proven Industries that I used until I sold the T@Bitha. The ball on the Retro is the next largest size and it is too small. If anyone is interested in it, pm me. The price will be at least half plus shipping (give or take - I'm up to negotiation with T@B University Badge holders) :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
    @nomad  Two wheel locks or is one enough
    2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
    tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  
  • Options
    Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    I ended up with the Brahma wheel lock.  The larger one with the flat center plate to secure the lug nuts.  Fits the Outback tire like a glove. Very heavy secure lock, I'm sure it's all I need but I also put on a good hitch ball lock.
    2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• Options
    rhaspyhonkerrhaspyhonker Member Posts: 33
    Hi Bill, I did the same but I went with the smaller Brahma lock with flat lug protector.  I have a max S model and I have to wiggle it around the suspension a bit to get it to fit.  
  • Options
    Ditto with the smaller Brahma with the flat center plate for our CS.  Must be placed on the passenger side, so ignore the directions for the driver side application.