Calling the Part-Time Full-timers

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
I know @PITPAT , @Verna , and @PXLatedand others who have lived in your T@b away from home for 3+ months at a time I have a few questions if you don't mind.
  1. What tools do you recommend bringing? I have been bringing my huge old toolbox and think I can probably scale back.
  2. What extra items (paper towels, toilet paper, etc..) do you recommend bringing to areas that do not have Walmart near - in other words more remote areas? Or, what do you wish you had more of when camping?

I reserve the right to ask more questions. :bee:

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• kccatekccate Member Posts: 51
    you can add me to that list, Jenn-- I will be part time full time from next week to the end of August. But this is my first summer doing this so I need the answers, rather than having them. :)
    Cathy and traveling canines, 
    on the sunny side of the street
    2007 Dutchman T@B, C@te's Cr@te
    2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I try to keep everything to as minimum as I can...
    Tools - Hammer, two plyers (regular/needlenose), screwdriver with all the various head nibs, cresent wrench (small/large), vice grips (regular/needlenose), voltmeter, socket set.
    Paper products - No recommendation on that as my past life experience showed women use far, far, far, far more product of all kinds than us guys. Paper is pretty much available at every crossroads so I don't stock too much.
    Pots/pans - All none stick. Can wipe clean first and use minimal water to finish.
    Plates/Cups - Paper . Easy to dispose of and conserves water.
    Bowls/Storage - Rubbermaid non stick. Easy to wipe clean first and use minimal water to finish.

There's a start - Thinking
  • mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Gorilla tape is all the rage!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I buy two 4-roll packages of Scott TP at Walmart, and try to not go below 2 rolls. I keep one roll of paper towels, maybe a spare, but I don't use a lot of paper towels. Paper plates and bowls are my staple, with one enamel plate and bowl (new this week) because sometimes you just need a heavier plate/bowl. I use a spork for morning cereal, and red handled silverware for other meals. 3 sharp knives of different sizes for cooking and for cutting food. I will be cutting down on my
    kitchen utensils-I have far too many and I know what I used last winter. One plastic cutting board for use and one that covers the stove or sink for hot pans it for protecting the glass over the stove (I don't know if it needs protecting-I prefer it this way). 

I have 3 REI alumnum 6 oz cups with lids that I use for drinking juice or wine (I refuse to have glass), along with two silicone wine cups that my nephew gave me. If you don't like my cups, you have to bring your own. I don't drink coffee or tea, so I don't have to worry about the special presses, etc. for those.  Bottled water is my staple for drinking and cooking.?

I have a set of serving/eating bowls that are collapsible--great invention!  My pots/pans are non-stick, one sauce pan, one skillet, one 6-qt Dutch oven (not cast iron), and one holey grilling skillet that I use to put my foil packets in so I don't burn my fingers and for ease of handling. I have a small nesting backpack set of pots, but use them rarely, but enough to justify the little bit of space they take.  I also carry 4 plastic with screw on lids Ball jars for leftover food storage. They came in so handy for storing/freezing leftovers, soups and stews, etc. Aluminum foil is stored under the fridge and is used for grilling or foil packets. 

Ziplocks--use the more expensive Freezer style, toss the boxes and use one bag to store the others in. The Freezer bags are heavier and stand up to traveling abuse much better. (I normally buy the store brand, rather than the name brand brand to offset the price difference between the less expensive non-freezer type.)

I carry too many tools, (I'm a tool junkie like you and PXLated are camera junkies) but I fix most of my own problems. I do need to find a better way of storing them because my electrical tools and parts take up the passenger side bench and the sockets and wrenches, hammer and pry bar are in the truck (but that's where I need them the most-outside). I will always carry my DeWalt 20V lithium powered drill/driver combo because I use the drill for the stabilizers and for drilling and I use the driver for...driving screws, etc. They came as a combo and they stay together along with a few hand tools, drill bits and drivers in the bag with them. This bag also contains my most used hand tools, drill bits and drivers. Duct tape, electrical tape and tie wraps are a must have. 

As far as shopping and buying, Jenn, it is rare when there is not a store, particularly a Walmart, within 50 miles (don't forget to take in account the round trip). I try to shop on the way, and try not to make special trips. I carry fewer and fewer staples and canned goods with each trip. Save the space and gas and buy as you go along. I cook 95% of my meals (maybe up to 98%), eat out rarely, and while I'm not Suzy Homemaker, it takes just as much time to cook from scratch as it does to buy and prepare pre-prepared  high sodium and high in all that stuff we're supposed to limit ourselves from eating. This is a small kitchen, easy to prepare meals inside or outside on a gas grill/stove. 

Make sure to either take 1 lb propane canisters for your outside grill, or get the extension hose to use a 20 lb tank with it. In rearranging the garage, I found I had three different storage places for my 1 lb canisters. Yup, about 20 canisters when they were put in one place. While I took 8 canisters last winter, I came back with only two. After this summer and winter, I should be down to around 4, which is all I need for grilling, the Little Red Campfire and a spare propane heater.  I will not buy any
    more unless I only have two!

I do use my ARB to freeze meats, etc. I buy a package of chicken tenderloins or breasts, cut them into chunks that can be used in a number of different ways (shishkobob's, stews, rice or noodle dishes, grilled, foil packets, etc,) and then I freeze Ziplock packages of about two meals worth I the bottom of the ARB. Except for fresh veggies, I shop about every 10 to 14 days. 

When I met PXLated, I found we pretty much prepare food the same way. Use as few pots/pans as possible, one pot preferred, grill is highly utilized, and make do with what you have. Get creative, but still a relatively quick and simple meals.  

The microwave will stay home next winter. With only having electric campsites 32 out of 93 nights, it doesn't make sense to bring it. I would rather keep my "pantry" in its place, rather than the back seat of the truck 

I cannot think of anything I wish I had more of. I got rid of so much this winter by giving stuff away to other camper's. I used a collapsible dishpan and drainer with the SS teardrop, but I haven't used it with the T@B. A full-time couple has it now., making it easier for them to wash dishes.  I got rid of a wooden side table to another full-timer, and Goodwill got the other one when I got home. I use one table for outdoor grilling/cooking and put a tablecloth on it for use to eat or put next to my
    outdoor chairs. 

I highly recommend carrying a spare 20 lb propane tank. As I've said before, propane tanks run out between 10 pm and 4 am. If it's cold outside, you will notice it quickly. Refilling this winter was easy and mostly inexpensive. I paid as low as $7 and as high as $15 to refill a tank. When one was empty, I was on the lookout for a refill place--Ace Hardware, some gas stations, RV parks (the most expensive), RV supply/repair businesses, or use your Allstays app or whatever you prefer to find them. 

More questions?  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    @Verna, I lot of good advise, even if not full timing.  Cutting back on what is carried I think can be the biggest challenge.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
    mash2 - Oh ya - Duct Tape, Gorilla Tape, Electrical Tape and Super Glue ... Those are a given :-)
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Thanks @PXLated and @Verna - I am already pretty close to what you guys describe in terms of kitchen stuff. I would like to replace my cups, but have got around to it, so thanks for the recommendation. I wanted cups with lids. My pots/pans are MSR stackable and non-stick. I have also learned that a food scraper is invaluable. Do you wish you had a drainer? I do not have one but have looked at them for 3 summers, now. The idea for the Ziploc baggies is ingenious. I will definitely do that! The first areas I plan to stay is more than 50 miles (round trip) so I want to get the staples, if possible, I can buy other groceries closer.

Verna, I bring pretty close to what you recommend in terms of tools, I also bring some Wd-40 and lithium grease spray. In my TV I keep an portable air compressor, too.

I have a spare 20lb tank at home, so I can easily bring that. I still have a couple canisters of the 2lb propane bottles and I do own a "steak" saver. It does seem like the little bottles are easily available in camping areas.

Verna, do you bring an ex-pen for Sunny Day?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Jenn - Do have a small collapsablr strainer. Like Verna, I repackage stuff into ZipLocks so always have both sandwich and quart size in stock. Zips take up less space than pasta boxes, etc.
    Tip - Square/retangular things pack more efficiently than round. Think the only two round things I have left are my thermos and one small water jug.

And of course, WD40 and Silicon sprays :-)
    And...Window cleaner - Amazing how dusty windows get.
    All those spray cans fit under my TV front seats.
    Oh - And a small compressor - Same one Verna has.
    This list could go on forever - So many little things.
    Jenn, I have a small collapsible strainer, collapsible funnel, collapsible teakettle (haven't used it, but will keep it). I love all this new silicone collapsible cooking stuff!  

When washing dishes, I just use a couple of drops of Dawn in the largest thing to wash, put hot water in it, wash the smaller stuff, wash the larger thing, and then I use a spray bottle (pump sprayer from Ace Hardware for pesticides or rinsing dishes) to rinse the dishes. This uses less water and Dawn, conserves water and gray water tank space. 

Jenn, Sunny is 6 years old and PXLated will verify this. Where I am, she is close by. She drags a 6' leash (I can save her or claim the leash just slipped out of my hand ;). ) and she is normally within about 6'. I have a carabiner clip on the loop of the leash, and can clip it to things (outside of restroom doors) or picnic tables, etc. Sunny doesn't need a pen. 

Don't forget at least an 8 ton bottle jack or a scissor jack that will lift your T@B, plus a lug wrench. I found a deep well socket on my lug wrench works much better with the aluminum wheels.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Verna said:
    Jenn, I have a small collapsible strainer, collapsible funnel, collapsible teakettle (haven't used it, but will keep it). I love all this new silicone collapsible cooking stuff!  

When washing dishes, I just use a couple of drops of Dawn in the largest thing to wash, put hot water in it, wash the smaller stuff, wash the larger thing, and then I use a spray bottle (pump sprayer from Ace Hardware for pesticides or rinsing dishes) to rinse the dishes. This uses less water and Dawn, conserves water and gray water tank space. 

Jenn, Sunny is 6 years old and PXLated will verify this. Where I am, she is close by. She drags a 6' leash (I can save her or claim the leash just slipped out of my hand ;). ) and she is normally within about 6'. I have a carabiner clip on the loop of the leash, and can clip it to things (outside of restroom doors) or picnic tables, etc. Sunny doesn't need a pen. 

Don't forget at least an 8 ton bottle jack or a scissor jack that will lift your T@B, plus a lug wrench. I found a deep well socket on my lug wrench works much better with the aluminum wheels.
    Thanks. I don't have a teakettle but do have a small Moka pot for coffee. I might try to pick up a smaller strainer, if I have the chance. The sprayer is another excellent idea!!

On my last trip I let Rocky be with the leash on and he did a great job staying right next to me so maybe I could leave the ex-pen at home. I will have to think that over some more. It folds flat and does not take up a ton of space. As mentioned in another thread, you can't leave a little dog outside alone in the mountains or he could become prey, but it is nice at times to put him in it right next to me when I am working on something. I am getting a longer lead to continue working on his training so that might suffice. I recently picked up a hands free leash for hiking and it is wonderful.

I definitely have a jack, lug wrench, and air compressor. I need those for the Jeep!

@Tabenero - thanks for the ideas. I probably won't bring the PB Blaster (you cannot bring it all) I might pick up a jumppack. Those new lithium ion ones for jumpstarting do not get very good reviews at this point, so I have held off. I have both AAA and Good Sims as well roadside through my insurance, so I will call if I have a dead battery. I am camping in an area with known cell service. Worst case scenario, it is a walkable distance to area NFS CGs where I could probably get some help, if needed. I do carry a couple of Goal Zero packs for laptop/tablet and other electronics charging. I prefer to use those first, and T@b battery second for electronics. They are easily recharged by solar, 12v in the Jeep, or with a wall charger if I have shore power.

I have been keeping the Zero Gravity chair in the TV. I wish I could find a way to carry it in the T@b but I think I would feel really claustrophobic with it in the T@b cabin when I am overnighting somewhere.

I think the real challenge will be 3 season clothes. I have really scaled back how much clothing, in general, I bring, but it is hard to plan for several months at a time. I also have to bring along some stuff for work in case I have to take a business trip.

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Jenn, do you have someone who can mail you seasonal clothing, and to whom you can send off season things? That's how long distance backpackers deal with clothing and gear for multiple seasons. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    @jkjenn I have had the brand name of PowerAll jump pack for almost 3 years now. I have jumped more vehicles with it than I ever did with jumper cables. My brother bought one right after me and he is having the same good luck as I have. I just purchased one from Amazon for my sister (12,000Ma - I think that's the correct number of zeros) for just under $77 from Amazon. It comes with a plastic carrying case, which mine did not have. It has a light, jumper cable, USB port(s) for charging phones, etc. (I don't have it front of me) and it is so much lighter than the 10 year old jump pack that I had.  If you can take the reviews from Verna's family, Michigan Mike and Lisa33, we all love ours. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Thanks, @Verna! This has better ratings than the one I looked at, before.

@jkjenn I have to watch Sunny here at home. Coyotes, fox, well fed racoons and possums, plus hawks are in my neighborhood. She doesn't like the fenced in back yard after dark (I can tell it has two game trails in it from the winter while I was gone). She will go in the front yard after dark because I have a motion sensor light. She is rarely out of my sight outside. Ask PXLated.....if she's not with me, she's probably in someone else's lap!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    PXLated said:
    mash2 - Oh ya - Duct Tape, Gorilla Tape, Electrical Tape and Super Glue ... Those are a given :-)
    Same.. and industrial velcro. These go in the Anything Box. As well as a couple AA batteries (I try to keep batteries to same type in all little flashlights, headlamp, etc).

Ditto on the air compressor and make sure the one you buy can fill up your tires to the correct air pressure - some compressors top-off in pressure limits - also see if you need a 12V extension cord (probably not given the length of your TV). Most 12V extension power cords are 18g wire. Try to find one of better wire quality (BestTek makes one). All compressors get the 12V cig lighter ends get hot to the touch after continuous running (like from a totally flat tire). Even in the owner's manual there's a listed limit to how long you can run them. Nothing more annoying than to wait for the compressor and/or plug to cool off before continuing to fill a 65 lb dually pickup tire (not my truck - was helping a friend who had a nail in her tire). My motorcycle tires require 46 lb of pressure (rear tire). That exceeds many cheaper air compressors. Make sure you can REACH the stem and screw on the air compressor's air output end. I find the quick release easier to put on and take off. The screw type is beyond annoying to me (especially on motorcycle tire stems. They are hard to reach on a good day - no less trying to do yoga while holding the screw-type connector on so one doesn't strip the threads... what were those people thinking?). 

Avoid using Slime in a Can. Many repair shops won't plug a tire that has that inside the tire. It's a mess to clean up. Doesn't preclude the peace of mind you get carrying it though.

Lots of good suggestions! I wonder if there's a T@B U badge for how many "Favorites" you have yellow-starred in your profile LOL.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Ratkity said:

Lots of good suggestions! I wonder if there's a T@B U badge for how many "Favorites" you have yellow-starred in your profile LOL.
    Well, I have 55 starred threads, including this one. There's a lot of good stuff here for anyone.
    edited May 2016
    Oh boy! I have 60 and have been here longer. I'm needing to up my game and do some searches lol. 

PS.. I confess, I was a forum-zombie before I joined. There, I said it! :)
    Ratkity said:
    PXLated said:
    Same.. and industrial velcro. These go in the Anything Box. As well as a couple AA batteries (I try to keep batteries to same type in all little flashlights, headlamp, etc).

Ditto on the air compressor and make sure the one you buy can fill up your tires to the correct air pressure - some compressors top-off in pressure limits - also see if you need a 12V extension cord (probably not given the length of your TV). Most 12V extension power cords are 18g wire. Try to find one of better wire quality (BestTek makes one). All compressors get the 12V cig lighter ends get hot to the touch after continuous running (like from a totally flat tire). Even in the owner's manual there's a listed limit to how long you can run them. Nothing more annoying than to wait for the compressor and/or plug to cool off before continuing to fill a 65 lb dually pickup tire (not my truck - was helping a friend who had a nail in her tire). My motorcycle tires require 46 lb of pressure (rear tire). That exceeds many cheaper air compressors. Make sure you can REACH the stem and screw on the air compressor's air output end. I find the quick release easier to put on and take off. The screw type is beyond annoying to me (especially on motorcycle tire stems. They are hard to reach on a good day - no less trying to do yoga while holding the screw-type connector on so one doesn't strip the threads... what were those people thinking?). 

Avoid using Slime in a Can. Many repair shops won't plug a tire that has that inside the tire. It's a mess to clean up. Doesn't preclude the peace of mind you get carrying it though.

My air compressor connects directly to the battery... which will be interesting since in my new TV it is under the passenger seat. I will have to try to open that compartment before I leave. I also carry a separate tire gauge that works with the air compressor and a tire deflator, for airing down off-road. I replaced the hose with a higher quality, one, too.

I don't use slime in a can, don't worry.

Industrial strength Velcro is one of mankind's best inventions!

jkjenn said:

As Enterprise fans know, Velcro was actually a gift from the Vulcans. 
    Photomom said:
    jkjenn said:

As Enterprise fans know, Velcro was actually a gift from the Vulcans. 
    Live Long and Prosper! 

edited May 2016
    Wire in different gauges, crimping tool, connectors to match gauges - Doesn't sound neessary but you'll thank me when you need them. Especially in the boondocks.
    Home Depot has landscaping wire in various gauges. Flexible and coils up tightly so doesn't take up much space. Looks just like the Zamp cable. Cheap too.
  • skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Add the two of us to the list. Since we moved up from the Silver Shadow to the T@B in the summer of 2013, we have spent more time living in our T@B-CS than at our house (seven to eight months a year in 42 or the lower 48 states so far). In fact we tell folks that the T@B is our home and that the  house is our "vacation place"! We currently have less experience boon docking than some others (We're planning on changing that.) but we have an attitude of maximizing comfort and opportunity while minimizing "stuff". 

We both came into the teardrop lifestyle with backpacking experience where every ounce counts and have tweaked that attitude to suit T@Bbing.   

As we were preparing to be out for months at a time we went from room to room in the house and asked ourselves "What to we do in this room and how can we take that on the road?"  Often we modify the form to accomplish the function. Instead of hauling bookcases of books we have the Kindle app on our phones. Steve doesn't bring his whole silversmith studio with him but he brings a small tackle box with material and tools to make some silver jewelry. Karen brings a folding spinning wheel and knitting supplies. Hobbies are essential to the experience of being "at home" on the road. And we've developed a minimalist approach to bringing plenty of video entertainment with us. 

We bring enough clothing to only have to do laundry once weekly and we do run the gamut from summer to winter but just a minimal amount. We both bring one dressier outfit just in case. We've had to go out and buy dressy clothes more than once (for a funeral and a wedding) and don't want to get caught unprepared again. 

We have many more thoughts that we will share but this is long enough for an introduction. 

Happy Trails,
    Steve & Karen 

Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
    Owners Manuals:
    We always carry all of our T@B related owners manuals - as PDFs on our laptop. Occasionally we have to scan one but most of the time it is just a case of downloading it from the manufacturer's website. 

Okay, so we are really into doing it digitally if at all possible!

Steve & Karen 

Coffee, Tea, Hot Water:
    Last year just after Tearstock we went shopping at Lehman's Non-Electric Hardware Store in Kidron and picked up a GSI 6 cup stainless steel stove top percolator. Love it! It functions well as a tea kettle for us most of the time. And we can make great quality coffee in it using the wrap around style coffee filters whether we have electricity or we are boon docking. Because it is stainless, it cleans up beautifully and doesn't have any trace of coffee to muck up the water for Karen's tea in the morning!
    http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Sports-Products-Stainless-Coffee/dp/B0018BLHG6?th=1&psc=1

Cheers!
    Steve & Karen 
    skwhee said:
    Coffee, Tea, Hot Water:
    Last year just after Tearstock we went shopping at Lehman's Non-Electric Hardware Store in Kidron and picked up a GSI 6 cup stainless steel stove top percolator. Love it! It functions well as a tea kettle for us most of the time. And we can make great quality coffee in it using the wrap around style coffee filters whether we have electricity or we are boon docking. Because it is stainless, it cleans up beautifully and doesn't have any trace of coffee to muck up the water for Karen's tea in the morning!
    http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Sports-Products-Stainless-Coffee/dp/B0018BLHG6?th=1&psc=1

Cheers!
    Steve & Karen 
    This has been such a wonderful item in my small camper arsenal for years! Luv it. My sis and I had a boiling water war once - electric tea kettle vs our stainless steel perc on a single burner Coleman white gas stove. The trusty perc won - which included pressurization and lighting of burner. Mysteriously, that kettle disappeared..... :)
    We have had that same coffee pot for camping for at least 20 years. Just use it for water though, I don't even take the percolator parts. We make coffee in a French press if we have time or using instant if we are in a hurry.  
    edited May 2016
    @Photomom This week!! I just saw your signature. How can you breathe?????? W00h000! So close.
    Ratkity said:
    @Photomom This week!! I just saw your signature. How can you breathe?????? W00h000! So close.
    I had requested delivery the second week of April. :-(
This discussion has been closed.