Options

Calling the Part-Time Full-timers

2»

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Photomom said:
    Jenn, do you have someone who can mail you seasonal clothing, and to whom you can send off season things? That's how long distance backpackers deal with clothing and gear for multiple seasons. 
    In the mountains, you can have all three seasons in one day! It starts off very cold and is summer by 1:00.

PXLated said:
    Wire in different gauges, crimping tool, connectors to match gauges - Doesn't sound neessary but you'll thank me when you need them. Especially in the boondocks.
    Home Depot has landscaping wire in various gauges. Flexible and coils up tightly so doesn't take up much space. Looks just like the Zamp cable. Cheap too.
    Thanks - yes, I definitely bring those, too.

@skwhee thanks for weighing in. I appreciate your thoughts. I am not a daily coffee, tea, or anything hot drinker. I love coffee, but I prefer not "needing" it. If I really want a cup, I can hit a local coffee shop and grab their WiFi while I am at.

I am not as worried about filling the time because I will be working during the weekdays and plan to do a lot of photography and hiking in the evenings and on weekends. I also am planning to meet up with some friends at different times and also take a vacation with my sister-in-law. In some ways, it will be my life now, but in a prettier location.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Photomom said:
    Ratkity said:
    @Photomom This week!! I just saw your signature. How can you breathe?????? W00h000! So close.
    I had requested delivery the second week of April. :-(
    Alas! I'm hoping for any time for arrival.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Our point on the coffee pot is that it is multi-functional. It can serve not only to make coffee but as a tea kettle in one small package that works well in all situations. We used to carry an electric coffemaker but that was useless when boon docking. We just constantly look to find ways to do stuff better in a smaller space. 
    Steve & Karen 
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    skwhee said:
    Our point on the coffee pot is that it is multi-functional. It can serve not only to make coffee but as a tea kettle in one small package that works well in all situations. We used to carry an electric coffemaker but that was useless when boon docking. We just constantly look to find ways to do stuff better in a smaller space. 
    Steve & Karen 
    Thanks. I have just heated water in my Snowpeak titanium mug/micro pot that has a lid.

I cook with the George Foreman grill a lot at home so I am planning on using my Coleman combo grill/stove a lot while away.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Hi Jenn,
    For you the Snowpeak is just the ticket. 

If you ever need to replace the Foreman grill, take a look at the Cuisinart Oven Central first. It's great for vegetables, soups, stews, roasts, muffins, cobblers, cornbread, and more as well as meats. We find that it and a stovetop griddle are what we use for 99% of our cooking whether we are at home in the T@B or at the house. 

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CBO-1000-Central-Countertop-Stainless/dp/B0081R56JE

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I'm now a full-timer (for about 9-10 months) but am so new at it I can't contribute like the other seasoned T@bbers. Since I have a special order with the larger cabinets in the back I'm able to store clothes and food there. Plus I have an F-150 with camper shell so all my camping equipment is in the back of the truck. I'm sure after several months I'll be tweaking what I carry and give more words of wisdom. Learned a lot so far from folks on the forum!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    mick, what? No excel list? ;) I wanna hear all you cull when you get to that point!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Pickup shell - Have you ever seen Verna's - My god :-)
    Betting next year it will only be half full :-)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PXLated said:
    Goodwill loves me!  If I don't give them "stuff" at least once a month, they send me an email saying they miss me ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Ohhhhhhhh, so that's the way to find Verna. Make one of the AllStays apps look for Goodwill stores. :)
  • Options
    Hey! We like that idea! A Goodwill subset in Allstays! We also are regulars at the Goodwill donation center near our house and know the workers by name. But we also check out the stores along our route sometimes to donate stuff we've culled from our gear and sometimes for DVD's to add to our digital media library. You're invited for Movie Night next time you camp near us. 
  • Options
    GregorioGregorio Member Posts: 18
    I haven't read through all of the discussions, but I heartily recommend a roll or two of Silicone Rescue Tape. It's a self-fusing silicone tape with 950 psi tensile strength, resists 500 degrees, and insulates 8,000 volts, as well as resists fuels, acids, oils, solvents, salt water, road salt, as well as UV rays.  It's perfect for emergency hose repair, electrical insulation, pipe and plumbing repair, and sealing connections among other things.  You can get it (around $10 a roll) at Camping World, Walmart, or practically any RV store.
    Spokane, WA (LG Forum Moderator)
    2011 6-Wide Sport
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    PXLated said:
    Oh yes, the tetris that is my truck shell for longer trips.... fun stuff.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    lara9209lara9209 Member Posts: 45
    I highly recommend carrying a spare 20 lb propane tank. As I've said before, propane tanks run out between 10 pm and 4 am. If it's cold outside, you will notice it quickly. Refilling this winter was easy and mostly inexpensive. I paid as low as $7 and as high as $15 to refill a tank. When one was empty, I was on the lookout for a refill place--Ace Hardware, some gas stations, RV parks (the most expensive), RV supply/repair businesses, or use your Allstays app or whatever you prefer to find them. 
    Great idea Verna ... where do you store your 20 lb tank when traveling?
    John & Lisa, 2016 M@x S, Silver/Yellow, Hood Canal, WA, TV = 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited May 2016
    My extra 20 is in the back of the Jeep
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    lara9209 said:
    I highly recommend carrying a spare 20 lb propane tank. As I've said before, propane tanks run out between 10 pm and 4 am. If it's cold outside, you will notice it quickly. Refilling this winter was easy and mostly inexpensive. I paid as low as $7 and as high as $15 to refill a tank. When one was empty, I was on the lookout for a refill place--Ace Hardware, some gas stations, RV parks (the most expensive), RV supply/repair businesses, or use your Allstays app or whatever you prefer to find them. 
    Great idea Verna ... where do you store your 20 lb tank when traveling?
    In the rear of my pickup truck. PXLated stores his in the rear of his Jeep
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Testing to add a comment after I closed the discussion.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

This discussion has been closed.