Options

I have no power when relying on battery only?

prplxprplx Member Posts: 29
Hi, I just bought a used 2004 Tab and have an electric problem.  Everything works fine when I am pluged to the wall, but when I am relying on the battery only, neither the lights, nor the heater work.  The fridge won't start on propane either. 

I had the battery checked, it was no longer good, so I bought a new one and charged it.  I checked all the fuse in the fuse box and they are all good.  Any pointers before I give up and  bring it to an RV place?  The previous owner never used it unplugged so he can't help much.

I found a little three pine white plastic thingy with "littlefuse" written on it and a green light pilot in one oif the drawer.  Can this have to do with it?  If so where does it go?

Comments

• Options
    All I see following the wire from the battery is a screwed in box underneath the trailer.  Is the fuse inside that?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @prplx look for something like this and it should be near the battery.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    edited May 2016
    The fuse is usually placed close to the battery--that's where it is on my 2015. The  box you describe sounds like the junction box where the battery connects to the wiring harness that enters the trailer. I wouldn't expect the fuse to be in such an awkward location, but who knows?

Assuming the general layout is the same on your 2004, I would continue the search by inspecting the electrical innards under the driver's side bench. Try to find the positive lead from the battery--it will likely be a red, heavy gauge wire running into the converter. Look for a fuse in that line, and check any connectors that you see to make sure they are secure.

If you have a multimeter, and if you can detach the battery line from the converter (mine has a quick disconnect), check the line for voltage or continuity from the battery. If you get nothing, that implicates the connection to the battery, and at that point I'd probably inspect the connections in that junction box you discovered.

If the line checks out, I'd start suspecting the converter innards, but you're outta' my league at that point. Good luck! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    If it isn't a fuse, it could very well be your converter, given the age of the T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I will keep exploring and trying to find the fuse.  If the converter is dead, everything would still work when plugged in the wall?  Sorry, as you can tell, electricity is not my forte.

But again I checked all the fuse in the converter lannel and thay all seem fine.
  • Options
    prplx said:
    I will keep exploring and trying to find the fuse.  If the converter is dead, everything would still work when plugged in the wall?  Sorry, as you can tell, electricity is not my forte.

But again I checked all the fuse in the converter lannel and thay all seem fine.

A converter can be bad without being dead. The thing that made me wonder about your converter was the fact that you had to replace a bad battery. Perhaps ti was already dying and not charging your last battery correctly.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    On the Dutchman T@B's, there is a fuse, of sorts (I can't remember the name of it) and it is probably in the little box you found under the T@B. I do know they do blow and need replaced. The Little Guy T@B's do not have this "fuse".

@Mouseketab and @TABaker have Dutchman T@B's. If they don't pop into this conversation, send them a private message and they should be able to help.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I'll keep looking for the fuse.  There is a bigger green 30 fuse inside the pannel, but it is good.  Under the driver seat I see tons of wires but no fuse.  Il get under and unscrew the metal cover and see what is underbeath.
  • Options
    Some of the small car fuses in the converter pannel are U shape but some seem Z shape, is that normal?
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,449
    I've seen both the Z's and the U's. As long as it fits and the amperage is correct, you should be fine!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Anyone knows what that little 3 pin fuse is?  Could it be related to my problem?  Where does it goes?  Also here are pics of the fuse board and the diagram;

• Options
    I recommend going to Facebook and joining "T@B Camping Trailers".  They have a lot of Dutchman T@B trailers, while there are just a handful here on the Little Guy T@B forum. They would be able to answer your questions better and quicker over there. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    +1 to what Verna said. I was thinking the same thing.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Will do!  I posted on one forum, the one you mentionned I am still waiting to get approved. 
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    prplx, that white "Littlefuse" thingie is a fuse tester. The other end pulls those blade fuses for those of us with no fingersnails or chunky fingers. Good luck on finding your electrical gremlin!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks Ratkity!  I will put it to use straight away!

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Let me ask an obvious question, did you look for the fuse under the battery cover?
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    TABalong, this was ask earlier: there is no fuse under the battery cover on this older 2004 model.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    edited May 2016
    The screwed in box under the trailer has a red rubber cover, right?  This is the an inline circuit breaker for the older model (mine's an '06).
    Might want to start by making sure the contacts on the breaker are good.  Try cleaning contacts and tightening the breaker bolt connections.  

However, it is possible that the inline circuit breaker has gone bad (Yahoo group cites this as common issue.  If cleaning and checking connection doesn't help, consider replacing the inline cirucuit breaker.    It is an automotive breaker that should be available at an auto supply store.  I'd remove and take into auto zone or other parts store...)

I believe the inline circuit breaker serves the purpose of the more modern T@N fuse.    
  • Options
    Thank you, @mash2! I was hoping you had time this evening to help!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    prplx,  Once upon a time, I changed my battery and somehow got the cables wrong when I connected it back up.  Is it possible you may have done the same?

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    prplx,
    The older T@B's used a different converter.  It has a glass fuse in it, remove the cover and you will find it on the lower left side. I believe it is a 30 Amp.
    We have an '04 also.  It has been awhile since I have had that open - so going from memory here.
    Additional note here - the converter should have the dust blown out of it every so often to prolong its life.
    I can open it up today and look if you like ?

Geo
    T@Bmahal
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    Geo: that fuse is inside the converter, correct?  I cant see it, can you help?  Also, the overload little red lightseem to have been disconected, can this have to do with the prob?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Ok i got it...  But it's still good!  I cleaned it a bit.  Now i will plug the overload sensor and see if that makes any difference.  Sensor plugged.  Still nothing :(
  • Options
    edited May 2016
  • Options
    For those looking for it, it is at the base of the converter, the little glass cylinder.
  • Options
    prplx,
    Ok, you found the glass fuse - I assume it is good !
    The only other thing I can think of is that junction box on the underside of the trailer.  Many early DM T@B's had a circuit breaker, some on the tongue and maybe some in that junction box.  A loose wire connection is another good culprit. . .

hope this helps. . .

Geo
    T@Bmahal
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options

I looked inside the junction box yestreday looking for a fuse and did not see one. Everything looked fine in it but i didnt  look very carefuly as i was only trying to find a fuse.  I might look again.  Tony sugessted i test the red wire in the converter box.  Nothing.  So at least it looks like the prob is not the converter...
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Is there a manufacturer and model number on the converter?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    prplx,
    The circuit breaker they used is subject to corrosion very easily.  The location on the under side of the trailer of the junction box is also easily subject to corrosion.  
    If with the battery disconnected and shore power connected you have no 12VDC at the battery cables, you have a broken or open circuit in the line somewhere.

Photomom,
    The early DM T@B's used a converter charger brand called 'American'.  I would have to look a lot closer to see model #,  but it is the 30 Amp. model.

Geo
    T@Bmahal
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100