Options

How do you run your refrigerator while traveling?

I was wondering if using the propane to power the refrigerator while actually traveling with the T@b was a safe alternative to running in on the electricity  from the tow vehicle? I'm not sure if that would be to my advantage, i.e., to reduce the power drain on the T@b's charging system, but also whether or not it would be safe to do. 
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited May 2016
    I don't think it is safe to do so, as if you get into an accident it could cause an explosion.  This guy agrees:

https://youtu.be/HJMTQWWoMSw

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Thanks, Nathan.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I recall arriving at a campout and stopping my TV and TAB right in front of Verna.  Soon as I got out of my vehicle, she asked if I knew what that clicking noise was (I didn't).  Apparently the propane igniter was attempting to relight the fridge which had somehow lost the propane feed!  This could have been going on for miles.  Since then, the fridge is on 12V or off.  Verna did eventually introduce herself. :)
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    OutbackAZ said:
    I recall arriving at a campout and stopping my TV and TAB right in front of Verna.  Soon as I got out of my vehicle, she asked if I knew what that clicking noise was (I didn't).  Apparently the propane igniter was attempting to relight the fridge which had somehow lost the propane feed!  This could have been going on for miles.  Since then, the fridge is on 12V or off.  Verna did eventually introduce herself. :)
    Yeah, sometimes I get caught up in what may explode in my face, rather than introducing myself first ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Good priorities, V! :)

I don't run the frig at all, even though I tested the 12V power and it's connected and always "on" in the truck factory towing wiring. I just pre-cool and then put a frozen container of water in it (with paper towel underneath container). This does not work for people on the road FT or on long trips. Just works for us weekend T@B warriors. One day.... *dreams of FTing it* :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Our first RV with a gas frig was a1972 Comander MH that's 44 years of RVing in all kinds of campers. We have traveled thousands of miles and always travel with the gas frig on. Occasionally the burner may blow out. If it does the gas automatically shuts off. Our T@B it the first one with 3 way power. If you are not comfortable with the gas on while driving them do not do it. I figure if I leave it on while we sleep even in very high wind then why not while driving. Once your frig and its contents are cooled down if you keep the door closed it will maintain an acceptable temperature for many hours. The more stuff you have in the frig the longer it will stay cold.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    TaB2goTaB2go Member Posts: 57
    Not being flip whatsoever, hope my day wont come, but have been running fridge on propane for close to 50 yrs., and my Dad before me, have not had a problem. Have not even had one go out. Pure luck i guess, or whatever. But will take another at the elect battery alternative. Will give it a shot on next short trip out. Still on our western trip, through June. Seen lots&lots so far, more than we could have ever have dreamed. Are in Yosemite now, really awesome. The End !
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    TaB2go... picts? (no, not frig.... silly.. lol.... the places!) :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    TaB2go - Was on the east side of Yosemite 2 weeks ago and all the east entrances/passes were still closed - Finally got tired of waiting - Maybe next year.
  • Options
    warren207warren207 Member Posts: 46
    I was advised by my dealer not to run propane while traveling. I run fridge on battery while in tow and hook up to Elec at campsite if available. Otherwise open the LP tank and use that for power.  
    Sara & Mike/2020 AVIA #0066/Denver, CO
    2014 Toyota Sequoia
  • Options
    TaB2goTaB2go Member Posts: 57
    PXL All but one was open, one other was closed for renovation, first time ever in the west, what awesome wonder is here. Being a Mich. flat lander this is really a eye opening reveal for us, as all of the photos one sees, do nothing for the real thing. Will be heading home via. northern route, Yellowstone etc.. More wonder awaits i'am sure. O'h the Mountains, Switchback are lots of fun too. LOL  ;)
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    I've searched this forum and called our dealer who hasn't called back. Can you tell me if the little cabinet space under the Norcold 3way refrigerator can be used for storage? There is a small vent there but I don't know what it's for. Thanks for any assistance and advice you can give. My spouse and I have a brand spanky new 2017 Outback and we're headed out west in a few days. My wife wants to but aluminum foil and oven mitts  under there. We're loading up now. Yippee!

2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    That is a cool air intake for the fridge. I keep a collapsible dishpan and collapsible bucket there. You don't want to block the vent. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    GrandmasKid, Ditto to what Photomom said on the vent. I keep my Bar-b -Que tool set in there, fits and does not cover the vent. I think a couple folks here made a slide-out tray that left room for the vent, but I couldn't find the thread for more info on it. Load up and go have fun!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 160
    Thanks so much for the quick response. That's one less thing to think about and I really appreciate that right now.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Just put things on one side or the other and check the vent is clear when you get to camp.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I keep my fresh water hose and attachments, an extra inverter and the leveler crank in mine.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Back to running fridge - Just did two weeks running fridge on propane while traveling. No blowouts thru the vent even though I had some fairly strong winds in places. Just pulled in to a campground and unhooked the seven pin and am showing 13.4 on the meter. This is an overnighter so with that reading I don't have to haul out either the solar or generator. Good to go with lights, Alde and fridge for the night. Will probably still have 12.4 come morning like I did this am.

Update: Ran two back lights, fridge and charged my devices via USB. Meter was at 12.7 at midnight. Turned Alde on to propane at 3am and at 8am meter read 12.4
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
    Funny thing is, with my old popup, they recommended running on propane while traveling. Said it was much more efficient than 12v. I was looking at the Norcold manual today to refresh my memory on starting it on propane since we'll be Walmart camping, and it says That it will run fine on propane while traveling. The chances of breaking something that leads to a catastrophic propane fires are very slim. 
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    KathKath Member Posts: 8
    I've rented 3 big Class Cs and the rental places told me to run the fridger on propane while underway. Did the same in my Lazy Daze and in my RoadTrek. I always turned the fridgers off during fueling and never had any problems.

BUT. . . the above video just explained the dangers in a far more realistic manner.

I never gave any thought to the "branching" system of propane lines.

FRIGHTENING.

Rest assured, I won't go there, again!

Thanks for postin' up that video!

YIKES!
    KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!

2015 T@B M@X S. . . he, she will name itself on the next trip. . .
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    There's risk in everything - Could slip and fall in the shower, better switch to sponge baths.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Without risk, there is no adventure!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Ya, there's some things where the risk is so remote or chances so slim that it's not worth wrapping yourself in bubblewrap protection.
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2016
    We just got back from a three-nighter which started out with the fridge on propane and half way to our destination the propane had gone out and the clicking igniter was happening. With that being our second trip it has happened on we have officially switched to using the battery while underway and switching to propane or shore when we stop depending on what's available. It's not really a safety concern - more of a functionality thing - and having to worry about if the fridge is on or off while driving. On an additional happy note our fridge was VERY stable this time out since installing the aux fan mod. Yay! :)
  • Options
    I check mine at every stop - so far so good, no clicking.
    That aux fan makes a big difference.
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    One advantage to having a tiny refrigerator on the T@b is that it is an option to run on battery while traveling. Larger trailers with larger frig/freezers don't leave you any option other than running on propane while on the road. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    RhodiemaxRhodiemax Member Posts: 5
    I bought an 08 T@B a few weeks ago, and took it on my first trip. What fun!

I tried the Norcold frig on propane but the red (ignite) button is stuck all the way in and I can't figure out if it's just broke or is there a way to reset and pop it out?
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    Sounds broken. Mine only stays in when I hold it in.

Since that part of the propane flow control system, I think I'd get it straightened out ASAP.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
    A. When towing and hooked to tv we run on battery
    B. When stopping at rest area or for lunch, turn to off...if it is a long stop would disconnect from tv.
    C. Have never run on propane 
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I've been running on propane and haven't had it go out yet.  I was so warned against using the battery, that I never considered that the TV is charging it at the same time...may change my standard protocol.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.