Options

FWD or AWD

VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ready-to Go Tow Vehicle.
Verna, Columbus, IN
2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”

Comments

• Options
    PhotogirlPhotogirl Member Posts: 6
    What is everyone's thoughts on FWD vs AWD? I'm looking at the 2016 Toyota Highlander as my tow vehicle, I was leaning towards the FWD because it's a bit cheaper and has marginally better MPG, but would AWD be better for driving over mountain passes (I live in Washington State). Thoughts??

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I've never "had" to throw my Jeep into 4wd except on level ground (sand, mud, etc). Never to climb hills mountains. But, had a guy tell me one should on really steep inclines as it cools the transmission better - Don't know if that's true or not, forgot to check it out.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If you have to ask,  AWD is probably fine. @PXLated the guy was probably meaning for steep descents and in that case never on pavement if you are using 4L. I use 4wd. I used it last weekend to get through snow and deep mud on the trail and used it in 4L with the hill descent feature to descend parts of the mountain

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2016
    We swear by AWD or 4WD here in snow country. 

We have used it when pulling the Tab once or twice in bad weather, and once or twice on a loose dirt downhill.

PXL, I hope he didn't mean on dry pavement! You'd end up with a twisted countershaft in a short time.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    He mentioned it after a steep ascent up to an old mining town - one-lane gravel, 6-9% grade. Never on dry pavement.

We're talking for pulling the T@B vs off roading correct?
    Used 4wd on my return trip over a pass with sloppy slush and 30 mph curves for traction.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I assume by "FWD" you are referring to front wheel drive (as opposed to four wheel drive).

As others have implied, AWD (or 4WD) are really for low traction situations (such as snow, mud, or loose gravel) as opposed to extra "oomph" for getting up hills.

The Highlander, if it's like most AWD vehicles, will normally operate in front WD, but will automatically shift power to the rear wheels if the front wheels start to slip. Unlike a true 4x4, you don't control whether it is on or off. So, on clean pavement, it's unlikely your rear wheels will even engage. However, if you are planning on hitting those mountain passes when there's snow on the roads, then I'd plunk down for the AWD!   

2015 T@B S

• Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    edited June 2016
    jkjenn said:
    If you have to ask,  AWD is probably fine. @PXLated the guy was probably meaning for steep descents and in that case never on pavement if you are using 4L. I use 4wd. I used it last weekend to get through snow and deep mud on the trail and used it in 4L with the hill descent feature to descend parts of the mountain
    AWD or 4WD don't help slow down any better than 2WD (Front or Rear). The differentiator is a true 4x4 system typically offers 4L which as Jenn cites offers the ability to control an off-road descent. Newer SUVs meant to handle tough terrain may offer electronic options instead of 4L for descents or combine them as Jenn's Jeep with hill descent control but that relies on ABS braking to dynamically control each wheel independently to keep the descent speed in check. But that's not something you would use on highway as hill descent control is often limited to under 20mph (off-road).

My big point is that 4 WD systems are only about helping you moving out of difficult terrain (off-road, snow, sand, etc) where you need maximum traction to start and maintain forward momentum. None will help you stop as that relies on braking ability.

All this being said, one thing to consider is FWD vs. AWD on the same vehicle may offer different tow ratings depending on manufacturer. Take a look to see if Toyota quotes a different max towing capacity on their FWD Highlander vs. their AWD model. That may also depend on the type of suspension they offer between the two versions. A self leveling suspension which they may offer on one vs. the other may make the difference in how much it can tow and given it's a premium option they may offer it on AWD and not on FWD.

Now back to forward motion, if you'll be driving the mountain passes in winter and there is likelihood of wintery conditions, AWD will be better at helping you get up those passes (not to get you down though as you'll only have the same 4 tires/wheels and brakes as the FWD version) and perhaps save you from having to resort to chains unless things get really dicy and then you'd want to evaluate whether you should be towing in those conditions in the first place, again because you're going up, on the other side you'll need to get down.

Just things to consider.

2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    The 2013 4WD Highlander is full time 4 wheel drive per the specs, and mine has a 4WD badge on the back. Don't know about later models. I can't comment on whether it is better or worse for towing, but here in the great white north we are glad to have it as ChanW said.

One thing to keep in mind, if you don't NEED 4WD, is if you have a tire problem, you will most likely have to replace the set of 4. Our dealer warned us of this but others may not.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Snowy passes aren't just "winter" - I hit them in mid May both years :-(
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Although I don't have my T@b yet, I recently purchased a used 2013 Ford Escape AWD for the traction advantage. Hoping it will also be effective in certain situations towing a T@b.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    Thanks everyone! This is all great information to digest. I was gung-ho on the Front Wheel Drive (but was going to have to special order it because apparently Toyota doesn't ship that choice to the PNW, maybe that's a sign? :)) - but the dealership has exactly everything I want in an All Wheel Drive version on the lot right now, so hummmm..... :) May be getting a new car this weekend. Then it's on to getting the T@B. I'm in love with the CS-S. 
  • Options
    We've been Toyota customers for many years and every one has had some perplexing rule about what you could get. The strangest was my husband's old Camry wagon, where if he wanted antilock brakes in NY he had to get the ridiculously small 3rd row jump seats. I think we used them once in 12 years. 
  • Options
    Photogirl said:
    Thanks everyone! This is all great information to digest. I was gung-ho on the Front Wheel Drive (but was going to have to special order it because apparently Toyota doesn't ship that choice to the PNW, maybe that's a sign? :)) - but the dealership has exactly everything I want in an All Wheel Drive version on the lot right now, so hummmm..... :) May be getting a new car this weekend. Then it's on to getting the T@B. I'm in love with the CS-S. 
    You will love your highlander. Make sure you get a model with enough towing capacity as I believe the base model will only tow 1500 pounds.
  • Options
    Oh yes, the one I'm looking at has a 5000 lbs towing capacity.  :)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Photogirl, 
    We also live in WA. state.I would HIGHLY recommend AWD or 4Wd. I drive a 2006 Chevy Avalanche with on demand 4WD. I drive it in 2WD most of the time, and use the tow mode. I have lived here all my life in Eastern Wa., and have seen [yes PIX], snow in June even in the flatlands. Mud in spring time can also be an issue, so 4WD, or AWD would be my recommended route! hope this helps.  
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I think it is a good one. 

My 2012 Escape is FWD and I have found that it will lose traction at times.

Earlier this year I found that I could not climb a moderate hill on loose gravel in a campground, my front wheels lost all traction.  I had to back back down.  I think the added weight of the trailer (about 200 pound tongue weight) and gravity worked to pull my front end up just enough.

My next TV will at least be RWD, if not a 4x4.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    edited July 2016
    Photomom said:
    The 2013 4WD Highlander is full time 4 wheel drive per the specs, and mine has a 4WD badge on the back. 
    Do not confuse full-time 4wd with a true 4wd vehicle.  For example, the Toyota Land Cruiser is full time 4wd but has a Locking Center Differential button to lock the transfer case into true 4wd where the power is distributed 50% to the front axle and 50% to the back axle.

@Photogirl - AWD will not help driving over mountain passes on dry pavement.  AWD will help in any road condition where slippery conditions exist.  If you regularly drive on bad roads then you may want to consider AWD over FWD.
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    "could not climb a moderate hill on loose gravel in a campground, my front wheels lost all traction"

Absolutely. The one time FWD is NOT a benefit is when you have an uphill slope and the naturally-following weight shift to the rear. Throw in a
     poor-traction surface, add to that even MORE weight in the back from something being towed, and you can totally lose traction on a loose surface with a front-wheel drive vehicle.

Though my Jetta (FWD) does very well in almost any situation, when I have either my boat or the T@B hooked on, I really have to avoid stopping on slopes when the road surface is gravel. In those cases, rear-wheel drive or AWD/4WD is much better.

Can't tell you how many times I've startled people standing nearby
    , even on pavement, by chirping (or screeching) the front tires on the Jetta trying to get started up a slope with the T@B or my boat on the back… (Must be a really hot car, right?) If I have to launch the boat on a steep slope, I use the wife's AWD Toyota Matrix.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited July 2016
    Just to add a monkey wrench into the discussion, my GMC Canyon 4x4 pickup with it's long bed got stuck in the mud trying to pull my T@B out - the factory tires aren't meant for off-road grab in 6" of gooey mud!! I humbly confess a nice camper with a Ford 4x4 gave me and my "mud monsters" a tug out. :blush:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    irvingj said:

Can't tell you how many times I've startled people standing nearby, even on pavement, by chirping (or screeching) the front tires on the Jetta trying to get started up a slope with the T@B or my boat on the back… (Must be a really hot car, right?)
    Yup, done that too.  I love my Escape for most things, and it is a pretty solid TV, but I just try to be careful about where I go while towing with it, which for me means staying on road.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA