Options

For the New Folks: Propane Tank

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
If you are a newer owner, and you might not have needed to remove the propane tank, yet. I I know mine was not easy the first time. It required taking plyers to remove the wing nut and a socket to remove the bolt (9/16.)  So, you might want to remove it at home with your full arsenal of tools. I had to use the socket to remove the bolt, and today. I think the weight of the tank and the bouncing of T@b must really tighten it up. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I took them off and never put them back on - no problem in 20 months.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited June 2016
    Loosened that silly wing nut with channel locks and bent the bracket so the nut screwed on properly (it was at an angle). I left the nut off (THE TANK! She's still driving the TV) because PXL left his off. That bracket is still snug and tank hasn't moved either. The wing nut is in my Anything Box.

Edited to add: This was a dealer install issue. Someone in a hurry.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,433
    Good points. Another thing to check when replacing the propane tank is that the flange on the bottom of the tank is firmly seated in the rails at the bottom of the tub (this is for the standard plastic tub). Seems like this should be simple, but for some reason it wasn't on mine, and took a little jostling to get it into place.

Not that I think it would go anywhere, but I kinda like my flammable gasses to be well buckled in!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ack... buckled-in flammable gases!... darn THAT brain cell. Go back to sleep! LOL
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Without the bolts, you still have to tug mine to get it out and push hard to get it in - It ain't goin anywhere... Your mileage may vary :-)
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    On the other hand, all I had to do was loosen the wing nut, and while still keeping it attached to the bolt, was able to pull the tank out, check it for weight and slide it back in place.  
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    We used our fridge all weekend...  Tank still pretty good,  according to our hand weighing device we bought.. 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    FloridalohaFloridaloha Member Posts: 68
    edited June 2016
    Good idea. I was thinking about getting the fiberglass propane tank to make it easier for me to haul in and out when it comes time to refill. I could use it at home for my grill when I'm not camping. I don't know if this will fit, but I have a collar for my regular metal propane tanks that I use when transporting them to and fro the swap stations. It keeps them upright and secure. They cost about $7. Maybe it would be something to use inside the compartment instead of attaching w/wingnuts.
  • Options
    TerryV6 - I'm on 3 weeks on one tank running just fridge and hot water as I need it.