Options

Should you cover your T@b in the summer?

should I cover my tab trailer in the summer? Will it get too hot for the camper? Or will it protect my camper when it's sitting idle from fading?

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I would sunshine can be very damaging. Use a proper cover if possible not just a plastic tarp. They can cause scratches under windy conditions
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We bought a 1 year old lightly used T@b here in the Pacific Northwest, and it showed signs of being left out in the sun without a cover in just one year.   We bought the generic RPod classic accessories which fits great for the Outback S with cargo rack.  
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    When mine was stored outside for it's first two years, I covered it everytime I came back from a trip. I now store inside, so yes, still covered, and it's still in great shape after 9+ years.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think it depends on where you live. The sun is more punishing in some parts of the country try than others. Not as big of a deal if you live in an area that gets more cloud cover than rain. Paint to and finishing coats have come a long way over the years.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    we keep ours regularly waxed. It goes a long way in protecting fiberglass gel coating
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    Yes
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Speaking of wax-- I highly recommend one of the "new" synthetics-- I believe the original was called "Liquid Glass" (still available), but most major brands have something similar. Far superior even to carnauba wax, IMO. Really does last a year! Surface becomes so slick, a cup placed on even a mildly sloped surface will just slide right off. (Don't ask me how I know this….)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I know, I've used the same thing! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Cover, cover, cover. My new Outback just got some hail dings on the roof this Monday and the hail was only slightly larger than pea size.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Not sure if the cover will help with the big hail we had weeks ago.. grape size. Got one ding. Alas. Could have been worse!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I live on the east coast and two weeks ago we had weather in the 90's.  I checked the T@B one day and it was over 140 degrees inside.  I know this because the SeeView meter does not work over 140 degrees and it was showing a temperature error.  That high a temp can't be good for the wood, pipes, wires and other stuff.  I spoke with PahaQue about this and their first suggestion was to try and prop the top hatch open to see if there is enough ventilation with the cover in place to lower the temperature.  I am waiting for another round of hot weather here to test that out.  If this is not good enough I plan to modify the cover by adding a canvas cowl over the fan to allow the hatch to stay open for ventilation and not allow rain in.  
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut