Options

Outback Spare under bed or on trailer tongue?

FloridalohaFloridaloha Member Posts: 68
Newbie here taking delivery of a T@B Outback in August. I'm trying to determine a better place for the spare than on the Yakima rack. Will the oversized tire fit in the passenger compartment under the bed? I'm thinking if it will, I'll keep it there while I'm just doing weekend familiarity trips, and then maybe when I plan a longer trip and need more storage, move it to the trailer tongue. The tongue weight of my vehicle is 350 pounds so I'm thinking that this could work later on if I need the space under the bed. 

Any comments/suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited June 2016
    If you search on "spare tire" you'll find several threads - I have mine mounted to the side of the frame up front. Others mount it crosswise attached to the jack. A few have had it inside but didn't like the smell of rubber - It actually ships from the factory under the bed, at least the std size does.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Thanks, I did a search for spare tire and tire mounting and Outback tire and a few other parameters, and didn't find an answer for the Outback sized tire. I'm also buying my T@B off the lot and right now it's mounted on the rack. I really don't want to keep it there. I suppose I could wrap it in plastic or something to keep the rubber smell down. 

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Our T@B S came with the spare under the passenger side of the sofa. We have since moved it out to the tongue. There is a TON of space in that area. I have the T@B awning, folding tent rug, 3 window awnings, my clothesline mod, our campsite sign, all our towels and paper goods, the wheel and tongue locks, and a couple bins full of cooking and cleaning supplies. Basically everything we would need to make camp once the trailer is leveled and hooked up (the things needed for that are in bins on the front platform.) IMHO that is a better use of the space than for a smelly tire.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have had it in both spots. There was no noticeable rubber smell. I prefer the tongue because of the storage space issue. I don't think the Outback tires is any larger than the stock tires, is it? I know it's an off road ture but I thought it was the same size.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for the tips. And yes, the Outback tires are 14" tires which are a little bigger. Would my dealer be the one who could mount it on the tongue, or is there another option? My dealer charges $140 an hour labor which I think is a lot. I wouldn't mind paying that for something related to the camper itself, but for a spare tire on a trailer it seems a little high.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thanks for the tips. And yes, the Outback tires are 14" tires which are a little bigger. Would my dealer be the one who could mount it on the tongue, or is there another option? My dealer charges $140 an hour labor which I think is a lot. I wouldn't mind paying that for something related to the camper itself, but for a spare tire on a trailer it seems a little high.

You can put the spare on the tongue yourself. Put the mount on the tongue, put the tire on something sturdy like a milk crate, lift tire to the mount, tighten, and you're done. I did it about 4 times on my Silver Shadow and they use the same tires as the T@B does. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I put my spare under the bed, with no noticeable rubber smell. If you do put it under the bed just put some thing like 1/4" plywood between the tire and the flooring so the tire won't stain or mark the floor.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    The biggest reason I didn't moved my spare to inside was I wanted that storage area under the seat and couldn't imagine trying to struggle it out if I had a flat.
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    edited June 2016
    Just curious why you don't want it mounted on the Yakima rack? I love mine mounted there - I think it adds to the visual bad-ness of the Outback.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    It does look cool where it is, you are right! But I'm thinking it might be more practical for me to be in an area easier for me to access if I needed it (being just 5'4 and an older lady), plus I might want to use the rack to transport other things, for instance, mount a bicycle without having to get a specialized rack. Where the tire is now doesn't give you a lot of choices both with space and weight limit of the rack. I think I'm going to put it on the tongue. I've been "sold" by folks here on the idea of using the extra space under the bed area for other gear. Makes lots of sense.
  • Options
    Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    Mine was under the bed all last year with no issues. It does however take up most of the usable space. I use the back rack for luggage and such so I needed that space. I may look towards the tongue area this year. 
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    It does look cool where it is, you are right! But I'm thinking it might be more practical for me to be in an area easier for me to access if I needed it (being just 5'4 and an older lady), plus I might want to use the rack to transport other things, for instance, mount a bicycle without having to get a specialized rack. Where the tire is now doesn't give you a lot of choices both with space and weight limit of the rack. I think I'm going to put it on the tongue. I've been "sold" by folks here on the idea of using the extra space under the bed area for other gear. Makes lots of sense.
    Before comitting to any change, I would try to play with it, the tire.  You might realized it is easier to mount the tire every once in a while on the rack, than trying to mount, dismount a bicycle up-there.  If you are challenge by height, try a step stool.  A bike might by lighter, but is can be tricky to manipulate.

the way the Outback rack is installed, theire is not that much you can use it for. Not many pictures out on the web any way.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    brookingsbrookings Member Posts: 39
    I am keeping mine under the seat in a large sealed plastic leaf bag. The reason is to keep my tongue weight at 200. I want to add a large aluminum box up front. NuCamp should put a spare mount on the back like the outback only smaller. Where they have it on the 320s is BAD!!!
  • Options
    xboooooxbooooo Member Posts: 33
    Seguing from the above comment on 320 rear mount. Using a 2 X 4 on the rear stabilizer arms can make dealing with the spare tire somewhat easier. Drop the stabilizers and position the support to hold the tire in place, then use a breaker bar and 13/16 socket to remove the two nuts. 

Lower the stabilizers and slide the tire out. 

To reinstall the spare, attach the 2 X 4 to the stabilizers to hold it in place, then raise and align the tire on the studs and reattach the mounting nuts. 

The 2 X 4 can fit behind  the sofa seat back when it lays flat; there is a space between it and the rear shelf in the 320. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    @xbooooo, that's nice simple solution for those who want to keep the tire's weight to the the rear. I've been okay with mine mounted on the tongue but I can see where things could get tricky if I add more batteries and storage up there.

The space under my seat currently holds:
    • 3 folding tables
    • 2 camp chairs
    • the T@B awning
    • screen panels for use with the awning
    • a three-point shelter for a picnic table
    • a portable stove

Ain't no way the tire's goin' in there too!  ;-)

2015 T@B S

• Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    xbooooo, Brilliant.  NuCamp suggests using the jacks as part of the procedure to change the flat anyway.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    LynnleeLynnlee Member Posts: 11
    I recently purchased a 2016 TAB 320 S with the spare under the back of the trailer. It is hitting the ground too often! How problematic can this be for the frame of the trailer?

I'm looking to attach the spare to the tongue of the trailer. (My tongue weight of my 2020 Subaru Outback is 350 lbs.) I'm limited at placing it on the side, or top, of the tongue because of a useful metal shelf that crosses the entire width of the trailer. So, I'm looking to go under the tongue. If I place it there, my measurements indicate the tire will be only 7 inches off the ground. That seems really close. Should I avoid putting it there? Or, is that adequate height? (FYI: The bottom of the ball of my hitch is at 16".)  I have learned from the above postings that there is a place under my seating inside the trailer. Never would have thought of it! So, that is an option, too.
    2016 T@B 320-S, 2020 Subaru Outback Limited XT
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    She might consider putting tire in tows trunk or bed. I have 15 inch tires on my 320 and put it as a spare mounted on the Jeep with a tire adapter ($32) when using the spare on the Jeep Wrangler. That way I only have to carry 1 spare which fits the Jeep and TAB. As long as I at least have a tire with her she can have someone put it on for her. It was pointed out that when braking hard with it on the Jeep front only it may pull to that side like a flat tire would on the front when braking hard. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @Lynnlee, in the meanwhile, try to approach entries and exits on an angle to try to prevent scraping the tire.  I think most folks end up moving the tire because it is troublesome to access and return to the under carriage position as well as the potential drag.  
    What is your clearance with the tire mounted in the rear?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    LynnleeLynnlee Member Posts: 11
    I had not thought of approaching at an angle. Thanks. Since posting, I did remove the tire and place it under the seat (for now). I believe the clearance was about 7". 

At the moment, I'm feeling good about the placement under the seat as it places weight over the axle. Therefore I'll be able to add more general travel gear in tubs on the front rack that sits on the tongue.
    2016 T@B 320-S, 2020 Subaru Outback Limited XT