Options

No hot water

ok guys (and gals)...  

Im fresh out of ideas.  A couple weekends ago I was at a full hookup site and had hot water.  No problem.   Last weekend and this weekend both all I'm hooked to is shore power.  Tank is full, yet I have no hot water.   I've tried both on propane only and electric only.  I've checked all the fuses that I could find.  Even used the search here on the forum and found some I wasn't aware of.  

Just to clarify a few things, dealer wasn't very helpful and I'm under the impression the alde will fill "automatically" when you fill the tank and turn on the pump.   

I I have a 2015 CS-S...   

Help!   Lol

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Clarifications...
    Do you have the analog or digital Alde controller? If analog, what do you have the three sliders set to? Assuming since you have checked fuses, you know  you have both AC and battery power - pump funs, lights light, etc. ? Sure the propane is on?
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Member Posts: 14
    I have the analog controller.   I have tried all the lightening bolts.  I've tried hot water only and hot water + heat.  Yes I know I have both AC and battery power.  Everything seems to be working fine except the hot water.  And I triple checked the propane because I've made that mistake before and forgot to turn it on.  
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Try these settings - my standard setup...
    Slider-1... Two bolts
    Slider-2... Flame
    Slider-3...Heat/Water
    And for the heck of it, turn the dial up to 3

Give it time to heat - 20-30 min

If still not working on shore power I'd unhook and see what is does in dry camp mode also.
  • Options
    Got it...   Now we wait...  Thanks for the quick responses PX!
  • Options
    boo said:
    Have you checked the fuses in the Alde?.
    Under black cover on top of the Alde unit.
    Yes I did.  That was my first stop!  Alas everything looks good there.  
  • Options
    Oh, and one thing that got me one time was the ground fault on the inside outlet was tripped so no electric - But you say you have electric.
  • Options
    Well it's been roughly 45 mins and still nothing. 
  • Options
    It's starting to get dark here.  I will tear back under the bed to the Alde again tomorrow and check it back out.  I want to double check those fuses again.  I wanted to get my bed made up though!  
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Could one of the bypass valves have vibrated to the wrong position?
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,472
  • Options
    Normfun - Possibility, hadn't thought of.
    Scooter - I think those fuses are glass - hard to see a break so a dbl check would be good.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There's also Alde apps, at least for iPhones. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    To be clear, you are getting heat on both electric and propane, but no hot water on either?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Good Morning All!
    The mystery has been solved!   It was one of those I-can-barely-see-you-because-you-are-so-small fuses on the Alde!!   (Face palm).  I checked those last night, and thought they were both good.   This morning once I had more natural light I pulled them out to double check.  It's extremely hard to see that fine filament in there but it is indeed blown.  I guess last night using a flashlight it looked like that filament was there but just a glass reflection.  Ventured out this morning to find a replacement....nothing at any of the big box stores here in Chambersburg, PA.   It's not pressing so I just order a bunch off Amazon based on another thread I found.   At least I hope I found the issue!

Thanks everyone for the responses!   It's simply maddening when you are out alone and something doesn't work.  Once I run out of ideas its helpful to have all your brains as backup!  
  • Options
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I am having a similar issue with my Aldi and I have been reading this thread and the one on fuse inventories.  How often do fuses blow on T@B's?  I have a two week tripped planned in August and it sounds like I should have a full inventory of fuses before I leave.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    You should have an inventory just in case but over 20 months I think I've blown one blade inside, tripped the ground fault once and blown the battery fuse a couple time but that was because of a short in the TV.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    It also seems to happen if you forget to shut off the Alde, and have the Alde switches already in the on position and then connect to shore power. 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    mannymanny Member Posts: 108
    scooter, great you found the problem..  with that fuse pack you get. add a good volt/ohm meter  too check those fuses that are hard to see if blown..  enjoy the hot water now... good campin!!
    2017  T@B CS-S Max ...  2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    Yes I'm definitely going to create a box of emergency fuses.  I had no luck finding that Alde fuse here in Chambersburg, PA.  So having a few of those on hand is going to be critical.  Picking up blade fuses isn't that much of a deal.  But finding a 3.15A/250V fuse stateside could be difficult.  Not having hot water isn't that important right now but if a couple months, not having heat...   Well you see where I'm going with this.   

Lapowers....   Creating an emergency fuse box was on my to do list.  Being on the east coast, I haven't been THAT far out where running to town to grab something became difficult.  20-30 min drive max.  I have problems with the blade fuse on the battery and on the TV battery.  But I suspect I have an issue going on with my TV.  It's going into the shop as soon as I return to get that issue sorted out. 

PX...    Shoulda, woulda, coulda but didn't...  
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep, it's good to have backup brains... B-)

lapowers57, this fuse that Scooter is talking about seems to be a chronic problem for us, and it has proven to me that having all the switches off on the control panel matters not a whit. I wish I could figure out a pattern, but we've gone through at least 4 of the 3.15A glass fuses in the Alde in the 3 years we've had our Tab.

There are two of those on the Alde, so it wouldn't hurt to carry 5 spares.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Reviving this one. On my first outing, and the hot water will come out for 2 seconds then cold again. Increased the mixer valve & no change. Some icondition on both electrics & propane.  I haven't checked said fuses but will do so in morning light...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,523
    Did you just turn the knob on the mixer valve or did you follow the factory directions to loosen the set screw and then adjust?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Valves in correct position?

T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @4ncar, I had the same issue with the mixing valve. I would get hot water for about 10 to 20 seconds, then luke warm at best. No matter how I tried to adjust the mixing valve...same results, even with the factory recommended remove screw, turn 1/4 turn, etc.,etc. Strange part was that it worked well the first 2 times we were camping, then, not so much. Turned out to be a bad mixing valve which was replaced under warranty at no charge. That being said, I don't know from your brief description if you have tried adjusting the mixing valve or not using the factory "adjustment" method. I guess the big question would be "Do you have heat from the Alde, or no?" If no, check your fuses, if yes, try adjusting the mixing valve, as some dealers do not turn the temp up very high for safety reasons. Also, as @Roamey stated, check your valves to ensure they are in the correct positions as well. Keep us posted as to what you find, or try. Thanks.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Assuming the "factory" settings are correct, but will check.  I fellow camper this weekend suggested the possibility of air lock in the alde.  As soon as I connect at home will check this too. On another matter...on the alde thermostat...electrical setting 1 & 2; which is ac & which is dc? Manual doesn't tell you!!
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Electrical is always 110V,  there is no 12V setting to heat. The propane heats and the 12V controls the pump.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    edited September 2017
    I think there are two heating elements and there is a choice of using one or two to use more or less electricity and heat faster or slower. 12 volts is only used to run the combustion fan and circulation pump. Here is a thread on the mixing valve:
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/58935#Comment_58935

The outer blue area is where the domestic hot water comes from. This sealed blue barrel has water within, and this is heated from the glycol liquid within the next chamber. Note that the electrical heating bars do not directly heat the water. Instead the “red bars” heat the glycol mixture within the Alde Compact 3010. This heat then transfers to the hot water. (This European spec shows 230V)

T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    @Roamey is the big winner! "Johnny, tell him what he's won!"

the bypass valve was open.  Hot water to be had. Thanks for all input!
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Love it!  Great!  Now for some serious camping!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”