Options

solar vs generator

We have been discussing whether we need to buy a generator or the Zamp solar panel for our 2016 T@b.  We would love to hear your opinions and experiences before we buy.  Any thoughts please?  Also, what watt solar panel would you recommend?  Thanks!!!

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Hi, Bob and Cathy. There are so many discussions about solar and generator that if you performed a search (upper right corner of this page) you would have a wonderful time reading for some time. Grab your favorite beverage, sit back and start reading. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I had the same debate after my first season with the T@B. I settled on a larger battery and a 100 watt solar suitcase. We are pretty conservative with our power usage, and our first couple dry camping trips suggest this system is more than adequate for our needs.

Much depends on what you want to run, and for how long. If you don't want to rely on guessing, then buckle in and follow Verna's advice!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I run solar 85-90% of the time. I have a gen but it only comes out when I absolutely need it. The other option is when you need the gen, just hit a campground with hookups. Solar was the best investment I made.
  • Options
    bobncathybobncathy Member Posts: 9
    Thank you PXLated and Scott!  I have read a lot but much of the terms I am not familiar with yet, and I haven't found a comment that states a preference of one over the other and for what reasons they prefer that.  Trying to learn, but, wow!  I'm a bit confused....
  • Options
    I went the easy route and bought the Zamp suitcase - Totally plug/play, no fuss, no muss.
    Thought I'd use the gen more but don't.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited July 2016
    bobncathy said:
    Thank you PXLated and Scott!  I have read a lot but much of the terms I am not familiar with yet, and I haven't found a comment that states a preference of one over the other and for what reasons they prefer that.  Trying to learn, but, wow!  I'm a bit confused....
    If this helps, here is why I elected not to buy a generator:

1) We treat the T@B more like a nice tent (ok, a really nice tent...) We've yet to use the A/C, and don't have a need to run any other dedicated 120V appliances.

2) To be effective as a battery charger, I would likely need to run the generator for several hours.

3) I didn't want to carry a generator, or the gas to run it.

4) I'm selectively frugal and a bit lazy. Generators are more expensive--and require more maintenance--than solar panels.

I also gathered input from across the spectrum. On one extreme, jkjenn's comprehensive power consumption spreadsheets gave me a bead on how much juice I needed. On the other end, PXL's real world experience full-timing with a 120 watt panel and a basic battery convinced me it didn't have to be complicated.

As I implied before, the first thing you need to do is figure out your particular needs. If you are new to camping, or even just new to the T@B, this can be a bit difficult until you settle into your own routine. Good luck!  
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    ScottG, Totally agree with all your comments. I think it boils down to the individuals wants and needs. For us, solar does the trick quite well, and we are extremely happy with it.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    And then there's Verna with 200 watts of solar panels with dual golf cart batteries just humming along. Watching all the IU basketball games and tourneys on TV with the satellite dish and loving every minute of snow birdding in the Southwest ;). I'll leave my microwave at home now because I seldom have an electric campsite because it's easier and less expensive to use solar. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Bob and Cathy. You won't need solar or a generator if you'll be camping at sites with shore power.  I never camp at established sites anymore and really love my 200W Zamp setup with inverter and BVM battery monitor.  Verna and I may be considered "energy hogs" (she with the satellite dish and me with my microwave) so we need the 200W.  I really hate the noise generators make whether mine or those of other campers nearby.  The other consideration is weight.  The 200W Zamp panels weigh about 45 pounds.  A Honda 2000W generator weighs about the same, but you may have to carry extra gas.  However, you would be able to run the A/C with the generator, but not the solar.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Unlike OutbackAZ, quiet generators don't bother me much as long as they're not going all day and everyone has one - that can get a little much. If the reason for the generator is to run the AC, it's only practical if it cools off at night. One, you'll need to carry a lot of gas and two, most campgrounds have quiet hours. Better/easier to hit a hookup site. If the reason is to fill in on those lousy solar days or to run an appliance for a bit, they work well.
    Can attest to the weight of the 200s, helped Verna load hers. Was surprised at the weight and size difference between hers and my 120s
  • Options
    VictorHill - Agree to a certain degree but it really depends on where you're camping. I would give up my generator long before I'd give up the solar. The gen comes out as rarely as possible. I'm 100% solar 85-90% of the time. And there is an alternative for when one actually does need the gen, a campground with hookups.
    In my estimation, a gen for A/C is impractical as you need to carry too much gas or be running for some on a regular basis.
  • Options
    PhotoJoePhotoJoe Member Posts: 34
    We bought the Zamp 160 due to the weight issues, it's only a couple of pounds heavier than the 120 but ten pounds lighter than the 200.  It's overkill for the group 24 but I plan to upgrade the battery in the near future.
  • Options
    @VictorHill--100% solar with a 200 watt Zamp for 61 out of 93 days/nights of camping in Arizona last winter. I have no desire nor need to have a generator. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    boo - yep, lots of trees, bad solar. I tuck under trees whenever I can but so far, even in NF campgrounds I've been able to pick a site where I can get enough sun. The only time I haven't been able to was in giant redwoods where you couldn't even see sky.
  • Options
    It helps keep me warm, helps warm the hot water helps keep the fridge cold (battery power used for the ignition spark on all three), I can watch my IU Men's basketball games, and pretty much do anything in AZ that I would do with an electric site during the winter months. With the small difference in price between the 160 watts and the 200 watts, I chose to buy once to power both of my 6-volt golf cart batteries. Obviously, I camp to my preferences and you camp to yours. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    edited July 2016
    It is really what can you do with 200 Watts and a battery(s) with a defined capacity.  It does depend on the power you need which you can easily calculate.  There are numerous threads here about using solar and there are several very experienced Tabbers that provide a wealth of information.  You may be surprised to find that the length of time boondocking may be limited by our grey and black water water tanks and not our battery.    Concerning the 200 watts, I believe on a sunny day with a good controller, you can generate 6 - 9 amps an hour.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    It all comes down to where you camp and your needs. If you have a lot of 110v appliance needs you will be limited. If not, the world is your oyster.
  • Options
    I have a 100w Renogy w/controller and have yet to go below 12.3w even on cloudy days. wouldn't be without it!
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Edit, meant 12v, sorry for the misprint!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Watt was your mistake? 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Well,  we went with a generator,  instead of a more adequate solar panel than what we currently have.   If I had the opportunity for a do-over....... 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    edited May 2018
    We have a Zamp 160 panel and I added a 200 watt flex panel to our roof. Seems to work well, if the day is hot I can run the fantastic fan for moving air around. We have a group 27 AGM battery. Seems to be working well
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn